SS power amp recommendations

Daddy Dee

Well, by now you know who I feel about my harmon kardon 330B and its twin-powered bigger brothers: quite the bargain for the buck. Yet the best solid-state amplifier I have heard for the money is the Red Wine Clari T digital amplifier (about #350 used). Very smooth, yet detailed and certainly stronger in the bass. Good enough for classic Klipsch corner Khorns, but still not the luscious tube mid-range.

Wow, Dee, you are blowing my mind! I thought you had the ideal set-up with the Merlin, Dynaco Mark IIIs (beauties), and that Ah! Tjoeb. For a SS amp, the Teac (that I bought from you) rocks! What are you missing, my good (nah, great) friend? Dang, I wish I was in Arkansas tonight!

Dee:

There are a number of amps in that price range from Adcom, Rotel, and some others on Audiogon. They seem to be more in the 200 watt range, but I would say (which will doubtless seem ironic to some!) that more headroom is 'safer' than less. I know you don't need anywhere near that much power (nor do I), but more often than not, it's lower power driven too hard that sends tweeters in for repair.

The Pass Labs Aleph 3 is an amp that's often looked interesting to me, although they tend to sell used for at least twice than your mentioned budget. I have seen pairs of the Monarchy amps listed above for under $1,000. They are built like tanks, and I used a stereo version here for a bit. It was fine with Klipschorns, although tiring, for me, for long-term listening. The Monarchy we tried also had an in-rush current thump that made me cringe.

'Gain-Clone' chip amps might be something to consider, too.

Erik