EBAY: 190,000 genuine frauds per year

Daddy Dee

I've been monitoring ebay for months on our beloved RF-7's before making my purchase. And everyday scammers list them with an outside ebay email address. This is against ebay policies and for sure these guys are crooks. Couple good ideas with ebay buying is check feedback score, get their phone # and talk live, ask for another pic of product with a bannana or baseball bat in pic so you can be sure they have the product and if the deal sounds to good to be true it probally is. Personally, I love ebay and wouldn't have afforded my Rf-7's, adcom 555 amp, etc, without it.

Bob

Since "Katie" is stupid enough to still be communicating through that email address after committing a Felony, I assume it is just a matter of time before law enforcement follows the electronic paper trail.

Reminds me of that guy that attempted to rob a 7-11 at knife-point with a uniformed police officer standing next to him at the counter.

All the old caveats apply and now require some serious diligence on the part of the buyer. What I find disturbing about E-bay is that there are documented scammers who return again and again to ply their fraud. E-bay doesn't seem to be doing much about working to identify and stop these people. Also bothersome is that E-bay offers no incentive for buyers to look for and report fraud. Many here have busted E-bay scammers and received not even a thank you. With the millions of legitimate E-bayers on-line hourly you'd think E-bay could recruit and reimburse those who successfully take down a fraud. Lord knows if there was this much shoplifting impacting E-bays bottom line they would be working fiendishly to curb it. They should be working harder to protect their customers.

This one looks a litle strange - a new ebayer, and no pics although the text refers to them.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5873084863

Same Scammer...Different day. Even though it had all the telltale scam signs, I emailed a request for pictures on Monday, February 27, 2006 10:50 AM CST, and his reply was

"hi there

you can see some pics in the attach of this message

mail me back after because i want to sell it early

regards!"

Problem was however there were no pictures included in or attached to the email he sent and when I notified him of this, he has failed to respond.

All the old caveats apply and now require some serious diligence on the part of the buyer. What I find disturbing about E-bay is that there are documented scammers who return again and again to ply their fraud. E-bay doesn't seem to be doing much about working to identify and stop these people. Also bothersome is that E-bay offers no incentive for buyers to look for and report fraud. Many here have busted E-bay scammers and received not even a thank you. With the millions of legitimate E-bayers on-line hourly you'd think E-bay could recruit and reimburse those who successfully take down a fraud. Lord knows if there was this much shoplifting impacting E-bays bottom line they would be working fiendishly to curb it. They should be working harder to protect their customers.

If you do send an email to Ebay/PayPal reporting such you will receive a thank you. I've done it myself. Unfortunately there's only so much manpower one can hire. 190,000 confrimed cases with probably that many non-confirmed? That's over a thousand possible cases per day. Entire police forces of a large city with hundreds of officers couldn't handle a caseload like that.

By the way, Ebay and PayPal have one of the most sophosticated fraud detection and prevention systems in the world. I know this for a fact.

This one looks a litle strange - a new ebayer, and no pics although the text refers to them.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5873084863

Same Scammer...Different day. Even though it had all the telltale scam signs, I emailed a request for pictures on Monday, February 27, 2006 10:50 AM CST, and his reply was

"hi there

you can see some pics in the attach of this message

mail me back after because i want to sell it early

regards!"

Problem was however there were no pictures included in or attached to the email he sent and when I notified him of this, he has failed to respond.

I sent him a quesiton too and he DID send me the pics. Although I don't recall the details, the pics looked familar soooooooo, I said "look nice, do you have a loading dock for easier pickup"

his response was "I'm in Italy with the drums" (as though I coudn't wait a day??) So I told him I had to talk to the wife, he said let him know cause he wanted to sell them "today"

I'll blast his deal out tomorrow so no legit bidders can get burned.

oh, on the side, I bid (crushed) a MC 2600 and a McIntosh HT (if I recall lol, I don't even remember what I bid on)

Anyways, I crushed the price on them thinking they were scams. Ebay never ended the listing but the one guy who said he'd moved from North Carolina to Spain, NOW said he moved to England. I told him to send them to me COD.

now, today, like 3 days AFTER the listing ended, Ebay finally got ahold of me "warning" me it might be a scam and not to pay

sigh

Actually, that's quite reassuring.

That equals less than one percent of one percent of all transactions on Ebay.

Actually ....

that's a load of Crap ....

if we factor out All the other Meaningless auctions from that "one percent" figure, you know, like used clothing....

the Real figger , as it pertains to our stuff, is probably closer to 10 %

isn't it ..???

One thing that bugs me about ebay is all the keyword spamming. (Using words in your auction title or description to pull in people looking for other things, like "Bose speakers, just as good as Klipsch and Tannoy", so that you have to look at their stupid crap when you're searching for Klipsch or Tannoy). It's supposed to be prohibited, but they don't do anything even if you ***** about it. I don't know why people do this, it just irritates buyers by wasting their time. I had to get that off my chest.:)