What has been your best mod/upgrade over the years?

ranjith

That is a tough one... I'd say it would be a toss up between....

Great surround sound which totally changed the way I experience and enjoy music.

Building a dedicated room. The room has a huge effect on the overall quality of a system, far more then the differences between amps or pre-amps. The better the room the better the system.

Shawn

This thread has made me wonder why acoustic treatments are so important, google search gave me some great info. Does anyone have any document or website link where I can learn the fundamentals of how different horns perform, say like a comparison between the stock klipsch and the altecs that everybody is after. Just wondering why exactly some are better than the other.

Read these two articles for a bit of a perspective:

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/manufacture/whyhorns.htm

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue4/edgarinterview.htm

For me, its all about the horn contour and the way the sound waves of the horn launch into the room. As a result, I prefer the sound of the Altec mid horns over the Klipsch mid horns, and Al Klapperberger's Trachorn 400 over the Altec horns (511 or 811). Al's Trachorn is a tractix horn inspired by one of the above author's designs. I still think the K400 is a pretty good horn; its just that I prefer the shapes and sounds of the other horns and consider both to be upgrades.

Also, please read the articles with a grain of salt. Even though I agree with some of what the author says, there are other things I disagree with (for example, Klipschorns do image contrary to his take). And his views are as a competitor to the Klipsch brand and speakers we all know and love.

Carl.

Boy, he really doesn't like Klipschorns.

I don't get why some people say KHorns don't image. I have never heard imaging as good as on my La Scala and KHorns!

The speakers simply disappear... all the time. No eyes closed required.

After being "satisfied" with my Nakamichi TA/2A Tuner/Amp and Klipsch KG2s (Nakamichi Cassette Deck, B&O turntable and Yamaha CD player) I found this place and "learned" I needed to buy:

4 Heresys

4 Updated BEC networks

1 KLF-C7

1 Academy Center Channel

2 KSF-S5 Rear Surrounds

2 Klipschorns

2 Klipsch AK-4 Networks with all new drivers (Woofs, Squawker, tweets)

2 Paradigm Mini Monitors

1 Outlaw Audio LFM-1 Subwoofer

1 Outlaw Audio 950 Pre-Pro

1 Outlaw Audio 7100 Amp

1 McIntosh MAC 1900 refurbished by Terry DeWick (Dewickt)

1 McIntosh MA-6200 Amp refurbished by Audio Classics/Rowe Photo

2 Toshiba SD 4950 DVD players (the $50 bargain CD player)

Interconnects (no expensive stuff)

14ga Lamp Cord for speaker wire

2 Panamax MAX5100 power conditioners

1 Monster 3500 power conditioner (January bargain $100)

4 Klipsch ProMedia Ultra 2.0 computer speakers

1 Klipsch KV2 Center channel

...because I found after being here, I NEEDED them...;)...and I have driven about 1,000,000 people here crazy with all my questions...and I STILL haven't reached perfect music nirvana...when I came here, all I WANTED was advice on whether or not the Klipsch F3 home theater speakers were nice speakers or not...:)

Bill

Pair of 2004 La Scalas, a 2004 Luxman(yes they are still around in Japan) L505f int amp used as a preamp, and bought a Cayin TA 30 tube amp(my first tube amp) in 2004. 2004 was a very good year for me audiowise!!

I could not pick just one of the 3 above as I added each one it took the sound quality to the next level. But if only allowed one the La Scalas!