Initial impressions of Crites tweeter in Vertical Cornwalls . . .

Allan Songer

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish I had something constructive to say about all of this, but I'm

just in complete "ah" from seeing a vert-horn Cornwall for the first

time ever. And that DIY network is massive! It's almost as large as the

15" driver below it.

BTW, I'm not attempting to hijack this thread, but... What version K77

do I have in my '79 CW's? It just says "K77" on the back of them. I

don't see any "M" or anything else.

post-15109-13819284090724_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

A few observations:

1) Allan's midrange appears to be made out of modeling clay. I suspect the relevant frequencies are severely diminished.

2) This would explain why he is always talking about the *bass* sounding lifelike. The woofer is mostly what he is hearing.

3) I think it's possible that when Allan auditioned the new tweeters, he didn't understand that they are supposed to be listened to with the rest of the speakers hooked up at the same time, not on their own. Obviously just by their lonesome selves they may very well sound fatiguing and of course they'd be disembodied because they need their brother mid and low frequencies of the audible spectrum to make a unified family presentation.

It's been very peaceful and civil around here since your "hiatus," Paul. Let's not start this nonsense again, please. Your baiting of other members will not be tolerated anymore, nor will anyone else doing the same. Last warning.

Wine-Baked Pork Chops
MASTER RECIPE

When cooking these for a meal, consider making one or two extra. These may be frozen and used as bits of meat in a pasta salad, or with lentils. These are particularly good if marinated, as described in the variations.

Serves four

Pork chops, 4, 1 inch thick, preferably 1 ½ inch
Madeira, ¼ cup, or dry white wine
Water
Salt and pepper
Thyme, dried, ½ teaspoon or more, or sage
Bay leaf
Baking dish

Turn oven to 375 degrees F.

Place chops in baking dish. Cover bottom of the dish with Madeira wine. Pour in water to bring to ¼ inch level.

Season chops with salt and pepper, and sprinkle them with thyme. Place bay leaf in water.

Bake until done, about 1 ½ hour. Maintain ¼ inch liquid level. Baste a few times when meat looks dry. Juices should be clear yellow and have no trace of rose. Serve chops on a warm platter.

Mike:

Paul (Parrot) has a history of irritating certain individuals, especialy Allan and Gary. There have been difficulties over the years with Paul being given a couple of time-outs, detentions and finally escalating to a suspension, to follow the education analogy. Paul does provide good advice and entertainment at times, but too many discussions have very quickly turned into feuds do to the limited patience levels between a few of the members of the forum. I may not be correct here, but when Allan receives his detentions, it is usually a result of his interactions with Paul and they both start scrapping away with one another. Allan gives as good as he receives and then Amy becomes the principal and doles out the consequences.

Tart Tartin

Large Apples (Red Delicious or Granny Smith) and 3 Peaches
1/2 Cup of Sugar
1 Tsp Butter
1 Tsp Vanilla
8 OZ Puff Pastry Sheet (you can find this in the refrigerated section of the grocery store)

Pre heat oven to 350 degrees. Peel and core the apples, cut each into 4 pieces, cut each Peach into 4 pieces and put aside. Trim the puff pastry sheet into a circle and roll it out on a lightly floured surface, till it has a diameter of at least 12 inches, let it stand to room temperature while you place the sugar and vanilla in a large10 inch oven proof saute pan, heat on a medium setting till ingredients are combined & they turn a caramel color -approximately 4-5 minutes. Take the pan off the heat (be careful not to overcook the above or the sugar will burn).
Place the fruit on its side back to front (alternating between the apples and peaches) finishing off with a second layer of apples over the caramel (be careful as the pan and the caramel are extremely hot).
Pick up the puff pastry sheet and drape over the top of the pan, crimping the edges into the pans rim. Place into the oven for 30-40 minutes (till the top of the pastry is golden brown and crisp). After the tart comes out of the oven invert it unto a large plate. Serve the tart warm with a scoop of sorbet. Besides apple and peach try the following combinations:
Apple/Banana Pear/Nectarine Pear/Mango Apple/ Plum Pear/Kiwi
Although this tart tastes wonderful on its own, try it with a scoop of French Vanilla or Caramel Ice Cream.

I'm curious about this modeling clay business. There's a fair bit of anecdotal evidence on this and other forums about the relative merits of damping horns. Personally, I can't see how the liberal application of such damping material could benefit the sound for the better. If the designers thought there was some merit, would they not have included this procedure in the original design?

Some loudspeaker designers actually include various methods of damping in speaker cabinet construction. One manufacturer that comes to mind is Harbeth. This manufacturer applies carefully calculated quantities of damping to thin walled cabinets to create a 'lossy' cabinet - one that works with the actual transducers to create the sound that the designer is after.

Perhaps applying damping material to a horn MAY work, but there would need to be some careful experimentation to determine the appropriate damping required for the best sound. I don't doubt that liberal damping will change the sound - but will it be for the better?