When I feel there is no hope and the tears won't stop...

Mallette

I reach for one of my many renditions of "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring" and suddenly God is in His heaven and all's right with the world. While my tastes in music require only great music, well performed, and properly reproduced no matter what the origin, this one piece transcends all three. It is sublime even whistled in a crowded mall. When I hear it, words of Lao Tzu come to mind:

Look for it, and it can't be seen.

Listen for it, and it can't be heard.

Grasp for it, and it can't be caught.

These three cannot be further described,

so we treat them as The One.

It's highest is not bright.

It's depths are not dark.

Unending, unnamable, it returns to nothingness.

Formless forms, and image less images,

subtle, beyond all understanding.

Approach it and you will not see a beginning;

follow it and there will be no end.

When we grasp the Tao of the ancient ones,

we can use it to direct our life today.

To know the ancient origin of Tao:

this is the beginning of wisdom.

I often wonder what went through Bach's mind as he began to write these notes. Did he suddenly become aware of the eternal symphony that has no beginning or end, that great Harmonium Eternum that can be heard by all who are willing to just keep still, and listen? I rather fancy it was not like the blinding light that confronted Paul, or the Enlightenment of the Buddha, but more of a growing awareness of the profound stemming from the stimulation of that great mind that would be the natural result of the growth of his unique talent. Perhaps his journey was like that of the patient and focused miner, following the small but valuable nuggets not as an ends in themselves, but as an emerging pattern visible only to one who has subliminated his immediate desire for small gains to find the Mother Lode.

For me, "Jesu" has neither beginning nor end. It seems to emerge from the pain, chaos, and cacophony of human life like a stream of fresh water from the ground. I follow it and am refreshed by its sweet waters and soothing sound until it descends into a cave where, being a carnate creature subject to temporal and physical limitations, I cannot follow. Nonetheless, I know it still flows endlessly to join that infinite ocean that contains all that was, is and ever shall be.

And I emerge renewed, refreshed, and reminded that someday those temporal limits will be removed and I'll join that stream on its timeless journey.

What does it for you?

Dave

..."What does it for you?"

Simple...I hum this happy tune and go about my business and all is right with the world (at least for that moment). Afterall, ol' Johnny Bach basically said, "We love Him for He loved us first.", at least that's my take on this piece. Works for me.

Dave,

That was wonderfully put. The one that does it for me is Jesu meine Freude because it reveals the struggle that preludes calm resolution and inward peace (Hymnal 701). Bach's five part motet is an exceptional example as are cantatas 12, 64, 81, and 87. It was also woven into several of his organ works. S. Karg-Elert's organ Prelude and Fugue on this hymntune is a powerful statement in the romantic idiom. I catch myself listening to it at least once a week (and I don't usually care for romantic organ music!).

Music probably isn't music unless there is strong emotional envolvement. The rest is just pleasent noise.

Best,

Bill

The Rev Dr Bill!!

Wondered what happened to you! So good to hear from you. My memories of visits to your home in Hope, the visit with PWK at the plant, and the little church in Magnolia are still very real and present. The family and I are moving to Houston as I've returned to the oil patch (where the money is) and my wife wanted to return to the coast (where the water is).

So much music I wanted to listen to with you, but my system is packed for moving. Perhaps I can entice you for a visit to Houston when we are settled in?

Dave

Dr. Bill, you & I are on the same page concerning Bach. There is so much tender & emotional music in the cantatas it's astounding.

Also, for raw emotional power I love the Chaconne from the violin partita. It's a musical expression of Bach's grief, struggle and eventual realease into peace following the death of his first wife. Strong stuff.

OK guys. We've got to be careful about this kind of talk on this forum. But if you really want to get in touch with your inner self, send for Bach: The art of the fugue (BWV 1080), GLEN GOULD, Columbia SK87759 (Glenn Gould Anniversary Edition). He just pops in at All Saints' Anglican Church in Toronto and records. Obviously, no preparations were made. The organ, a Casavant, is out of tune. The bench squeeks, Gould sings as he conducts himself. And it is glorious beyond words.

If you don't mind having a coronary, listen carefully to track 16 "Contrapunctus XIV" (fugue a 3 Soggetti) unfinished. This is performed on a piano. Gould gives it all that he has (which is much, indeed). He roars up to the the last note that Bach penned and simply lifts his hands from the keyboard! The earth screaches to a halt and you have to hold on to something to prevent being thrown into the wall as the lamps and the furniture crash around you. And then, you just sit there.

CONFIDENTIAL TO DAVE: Ever heard of natural gas? As in Barnett Shale? It is a lot closer than Houston.

Bill

I DO mind having a coronary. I cannot imagine that. Perhaps I should wait till I join that infinite ocean so I can hear Bach complete the thing?

As to the Toronto recording, I must search and see if I have it...when I can get my records unpacked. I know I have at least one of the Gould "Art" box sets but it has been years since I visited it.

Dr. Bill: Expect an email/PM soon.

All: I thought I made it clear this was about what does it for YOU. Even in my own case the issues does not always require the ultimate cure. Sometimes it is Louis Armstrong. Sometimes it is Midnight Oil "Diesel and Dust" at 110db. Sometimes it is classical Chinese pipa concertos.

Again, What does it for YOU? Remember Duke Ellington: "If it sounds good, it IS good!"

Dave

Glad to see you have emerged from your hiatus with illuminating and

superbly crafted thoughts on the transfiguring joy that music offers

the human spirit.

I continually revel in, and marvel of, the many, many things, moments,

and emotions that lift us above our everyday cares and woes. A

child's smile, a beautiful sunset, a warm embrace provides the means

and methods to lift us from our funks that are arrayed before us.

Music, to me anyways, is one of those universal constants that everyone

responds to and that has this power to transform. It provides

melancholy when we need it, joy, laughter, an almost manic infusion of

energy at times, and solace when we are sad.

Almost better than dating Twins.

Marty--

I totally dig making little kids smile. If I see a young-un seated in a shopping cart, I'll make faces (smiley, surprised) and 95% of the time I'll get a smile. Gotta do it before Mom or Dad notices, though. A lot of parents seem to feel threatened by our interaction. They must be jealous. ;^)

This goes down as one of the top five threads ever posted here. Dave, that was so beautifully expressed it's hard to imagine it possible. And not mention of a subwoofer! Who would of thought?

Bach has always floated my spirit. My ex-brother in law, may he rest in peace, was my voice teacher and church organist. I used to sit in the rear pew for hours while he practiced late into the evening.

I never once noticed how hard the pews were.

I am posting this for colterphoto1 (Michael):

"I had Amy kick me off so I wouldn't spend so much time there. I can still read, but can 't post. Saves me about 2 hours a day!"

My hat is off to Michael, as that required every bit as much guts as self-admission for drug treatment!

His post:
"I used to date a gal who grew up in NYC. Made several car trips there over the years. If you happen to be on the GWB rolling over the Hudson into Manhattan and Billy Joel's 'New York State of Mind' comes on the

radio- it's pure magic. (of course I'd always manage to have it cued up on the CD just in case). If you've ever experienced the items that Joel elucidates in the song, you'd understand.

I've been a huge Yes fan and 'Siberian Khatru' is frequently the opening number. Yes was my first concert ever and I've seen every tour. Still, hearing that number evokes tears of the next two hours of pure musical heaven to follow. Likewise there's an acoustical version of 'Time and Word' that gets me. (Time is Now, Word is Love) that I've always thought I'd like to have played at my wedding should it ever occur.

And I would suggest that for many people, there is some song from their youth, probably their year of 'discovery' that is very very special. I'm a firm believer that the music you listen to in High School is yours for life. Alternately, couples that have an 'our song' would probably bring forth the same emotions.

Or just go to Hope Arkansas and listen to ANYTHING on Jubilees- same effect!

Michael"

Other addenda from our exchange:

Michael: Unless I'm way off base on the topic of your's. It wasn't about Bach so much as about music that moved us to tears, right?

Dave: Yep, it's about the music. I tried to make that clear, but it seems that Bach rules the day. Love to here from someone extolling the transcendental virtues of Hank Williams, Muddy Waters, or Yawni...

Michael: Well I guess Yes and Billy Joel will help make the point and add to the diversity. Surely everyone has something in this category. We are just a bunch of softies at heart, most of us. Crying tears of joy and being able to express that is terribly manly. I'm okay with it myself.

Thanks for the topic.

Michael

A sense of a calling entered my life in my mid-thirties, but I knew that I was mistaken

about that because I wasn't worthy "so much as to gather up the

crumbs." It was at this time that my wife and I made our Cursillo (A

Short Course in Christianity). On the Cursillo weekend, I forgave the

clergy who I felt had let me down in the past . . . who had not lived

up to my expectations. It was now that I fully realized that I had a

ministry as a layman, and that the job of the priest was not to stand

in for me before God. I had always wanted them to be perfect before God

for me -- to be as much without sin as I was in sin.

As I saw them as men like myself, sinners begging for forgiveness, the

sense of calling to some form of ministry got stronger. Surely I was

mistaken and only flattering myself. I prayed about it and dared to ask

for a sign. "Show me", I prayed.

It was the Saturday before Christmas, and I was the last one awake in the house. Headphones were on as I listened to Glenn Mitchell's (RIP) "Christmas Blockbuster" on KERA in Dallas. He played a song that caused the hair to stand up on head and tears to flow from my eyes. From the Christmas Revells, he played Jeanne Ritchie singing the old shaped-note song "Wondrous Love", a tune that was somehow new to me. I'd never heard ANYTHING that so moved my heart. It took me much work to track down and purchase the recording. It's one of my treasures.

Before serving at the altar assisting the clergy one Sunday after Christmas, I prayed

again for guidance, "Show me, Lord." At the Eucharist, following the breaking of the

Communion Host, I looked down into the Chalice and saw that the small

piece of bread floating in the wine had become Christ the King soaring

over His universe and His Creation. I felt faint, and had to grip the

edge of the Lord's Table to steady myself.

And then the choir started singing "Wondrous Love".

What wondrous love is this, O my soul, O my soul! What wondrous love is this, O my soul!

What wondrous love is this, that caused the Lord of Bliss, to lay aside His crown for my soul, for my soul.

To lay aside His crown for my soul.

To God and to the Lamb, I will sing, I will sing. To God and to the Lamb, I will sing.

To God and to the Lamb who is the great I AM, while millions join the

theme, I will sing, I will sing, While millions join the theme, I will

sing.

And when from death I'm free, I'll sing on, I'll sing on, and when from death I'm free, I'll sing on.

And when from death I'm free, I'll sing and joyful be, and through eternity I'll sing on, I'll sing on.

And through eternity, I'll sing on.

I had my answer, and what some would call an annointing. Serve Him,

feed His sheep, and do my best to protect them from the wolves and

roaring lions prowling for someone to devour.

And sing on.

To quote Michael's (colterphoto1)earlier post: "Crying tears of joy and being able to express that is terribly manly. I'm okay with it myself."

I am doing that just now after reading pmsummer's epiphany.

For me, the great joy of this place (The Forum, specifically the 2 Channel Forum) is the people who frequent it. I don't write to hear myself talk, but to bring out Martin, Dr. Bill, Bruce, Michael, and all of the truly great geists of Klipschdom and to learn from them.

I know there are more of you.

What does it for YOU?