Heritage.....FINALLY

wstrickland1

LaScalas to be exact. I picked up a nice pair today in Charleston for what I feel was a good price (Thanks Hunt). Hunt is a great guy who, at 25 really seems to have his stuff together. Anyway, I hooked them up as soon as I got home to a Technics SA 700 receiver I scored on Ebay and Sony CD player and wow. It goes without saying that the sound is totally different from my Legend and Reference set ups. Very nice sound. I'm really happy to have a pair of these and look forward to tweaking them a bit. They are 1980 vintage w/ AA networks. Any suggestions on networks?

Congrat on your new La Scala's. Have had mine for 22+ years love em. If I had the room I'd do a matching rig like Indy did with La Scala's.

"Any suggestions on networks?"

Yep ALK networks

any idea of what they cost? Isn't there something like "standard" or steep slope(or something like that)?

Hey Billy , got your message . I had to pull one of those brutal doubles today . Wished I could have gone with you to pick em' up . Man I tell you I'm getting to old to be pulling 14 hour on your feet shifts . Hope you like the La Scalas , and like I said , they are fantastic for outdoor get togathers . As long as you have cool neighbors . I must officialy proclaim you as Out Of Control ! Congrats , Willy P

Billy, congrats here too!

For networks, I'd PM Dean, Bobby Crites and Al Klappenberger. I think they all have improved networks but I'm not sure of the cost these days.

I have ALK's in my Klipschorns which I simply adore. He incorporates variable squawker options which can help tame the midrange if your room is "hot".

Chris

Willy: Hunt and I did manage to get them in my Suburban without you......just barely though. Another coat of lacquer and they wouldn't have made it.

No, I don't have cool neighbors...not like that anyway. Now if you you're into making sure that no cars are parked on the street, sidewalks are edged, trash cans are brought back up immediately after trash pickup, kid's toys are not left out overnight, not allowing overnight guests to have access to the pool without a homeowner, etc etc etc....then ya, they're WAY cool.

And I'm not out of control, I'm just very enthusiastic. I'm going to sell something just to prove it.

Chris: Thanks for the tip on the networks. I think the room they're in now may be a tad hot, since the big metal door of my garage is not acoustically ideal. Oh well, it is one hell of a system to work out to even with that little issue. They will be inside one of these days. They sound way too good to be relegated to the exercise room. As big as they are, it's going to take a little finesse to convince the wife they need to be inside.

No, I don't have cool neighbors...not like that anyway. Now if you you're into making sure that no cars are parked on the street, sidewalks are edged, trash cans are brought back up immediately after trash pickup, kid's toys are not left out overnight, not allowing overnight guests to have access to the pool without a homeowner, etc etc etc....then ya, they're WAY cool.

Sounds like "new suburbia" in "metropolitan you name it," where the rules are written so we can't tell each other apart.

I bet you pay alot of money in HOA dues for this sort of Stalinism, too.

Blast 'em with your Scalas! [:D]

Sounds like "new suburbia" in "metropolitan you name it," where the rules are written so we can't tell each other apart.

Yes, we pay a modest $900 per annum for the priviledge of being subjected to such nonsense. I want to create a true room in the garage with a combination of some nice Peachtree or Pella fixed and operable glass doors/windows but it is on hold pending review of the ARB. So, when I work out, I can open the garage door and eliminate the nasty reflections AND ruin the HOA President's dinner all at the same time.

Yes, we pay a modest $900 per annum for the priviledge of being subjected to such nonsense. I want to create a true room in the garage with a combination of some nice Peachtree or Pella fixed and operable glass doors/windows but it is on hold pending review of the ARB. So, when I work out, I can open the garage door and eliminate the nasty reflections AND ruin the HOA President's dinner all at the same time.

Rock on.....

Wow Billy , I can't believe The hoops Ya'll have to jump through in your neighborhood . I've been in my place for more than 12 years and my neighbors have never batted an eye , much less call the law . And I Crank It ! Usualy in the wee hours of the mornin' !!!

Wow Billy , I can't believe The hoops Ya'll have to jump through in your neighborhood . I've been in my place for more than 12 years and my neighbors have never batted an eye , much less call the law . And I Crank It ! Usualy in the wee hours of the mornin' !!!

just a bunch of yuppie, keep up with the jones' people in debt up to their eyeballs around here. The only reason we stay there is because of the elementary school. It is arguably in the best District in the state and is considered the best elementary school in the District AND it is about a 5 minute walk via sidewalk from our house. Don't worry! When Catherine is in middle school we're moving, probably out to Prosperity or Newberry on Lake Murray.......down a dirt road! If I don't have to move back to Charleston or Hilton Head, that is.

Now, back to the Scalas. I can't believe how much output these speakers are capable of. With all the other Klipsch lines I have with somewhat similar efficiency ratings, these things are king. The Legends and Reference must not be as efficient as the ratings say. I have never experienced the output vs input ratio of the LaScalas. They are truly amazing. I don't know how you could possibly turn your system up more than a quarter throttle with all that power. I can finally see why a very good 30 watt tube amp is all you need for 2 channel listening. Before I never believed it.

Congrats on joining the Lascala club!

Depending on budget I would do one of the following.

Least expensive but great sound have Dean build you a set of type A's with Hovlands on the top and a quality meatized on the mids.

Next up the ladder would be a toss up between Dean ALK jr. or AL's universal

Then you could always go hole hog and get AL's extreme slops but I have not heard them yet so I have no idea what they sound like.

Do your home work since your hopefully only going to buy one set of crossovers don't cut yourself short just to upgrade again down the road. I'm on a 4th set in my Lascalas.

Craig

All this talk of stiff-necked neighbors and high-output LaScalas brings a nice memory to mind. Last December I sold my LaScalas to a fellow forum member who was coming about 7 hours to pick them up. He trusted me, but I wanted him to be able to hear them when he got here so I set them up in my garage, heh heh heh.

I hooked them up to my Aragon 24k preamp, an Adcom CD player and an Aragon 2004 amplifier and played a little Christmas music for the neighbors...the ones that live about 1/2 mile away, and I have neighbors within 150 feet of my house!!! Funny thing how that Christmas brass travels in the thin Michigan December air!!! Christmas cheer was sure in the air...courtesy of a fine pair of Klipsch LaScalas.

Heck, Craig could probably have heard them if he'd have been outside!!!

Congrats on your pickup. I'm sure you will get years of enjoyment out of them.