Audiophile Politics

6foot8

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like most male-dominated hobbies, audio forums can (and do) quickly degenerate into testosterone-peeing contests. At least audiophiles tend to be a bit more polished than motorheads and bikers, so the arguments have more words with many syllables (and often accompanying charts and diagrams) but the resulting melee tends to be similar. This pretty much runs the same gamut on other forums like camera/photo, vehicles of any kind, guns/firearms, hunting, sports, etc. Don't forget to add a dash of sexism, too.

What I do love about reading audiophile forums is the mysticism and fantasy aspect of $6000 speaker cables and all the other claptrap that people find to pour their cash into in a quest for the "I'm better than all of you" King of the Hill "mountain climber" aspect, typically male and a bit embarassing for those of us who simply want to enjoy the music.

Like most male-dominated hobbies, audio forums can (and do) quickly degenerate into testosterone-peeing contests. At least audiophiles tend to be a bit more polished than motorheads and bikers, so the arguments have more words with many syllables (and often accompanying charts and diagrams) but the resulting melee tends to be similar. This pretty much runs the same gamut on other forums like camera/photo, vehicles of any kind, guns/firearms, hunting, sports, etc. Don't forget to add a dash of sexism, too.

What I do love about reading audiophile forums is the mysticism and fantasy aspect of $6000 speaker cables and all the other claptrap that people find to pour their cash into in a quest for the "I'm better than all of you" King of the Hill "mountain climber" aspect, typically male and a bit embarassing for those of us who simply want to enjoy the music.

Yup well said. But I take offense of the motorhead statement my previous hobby was drag racing [;)]

post-7461-13819284167764_thumb.jpg

You think getting abuse for running a SET amp around here can be brutal? Try racing a 13 sec. Studebaker Lark with a homemade tunnelram sitting on top of a 259 Stude bored .060 over running 11:1, a T-10 and a Dana 4.09 rear end and SMOKING Camaros and Chevelles!

Those Chevy guys are BRUTAL. The fellows in the Ford and Mopar crowds usually thought my car was pretty cool . . .

Hey I see some common ground here........

I love Firebird's but a Chevy man at heart! They are few pounds lighter! For drag racing it can make all the difference. I like the exterior and interior styling of most Pontiacs better then Chevy for sure.

Craig

You think getting abuse for running a SET amp around here can be brutal? Try racing a 13 sec. Studebaker Lark with a homemade tunnelram sitting on top of a 259 Stude bored .060 over running 11:1, a T-10 and a Dana 4.09 rear end and SMOKING Camaros and Chevelles!

Those Chevy guys are BRUTAL. The fellows in the Ford and Mopar crowds usually thought my car was pretty cool . . .

I wouldn't give you a hard time on that type of ride at all. My best life long friend has an Old Custom Model A Ford that is extremely cool and extremely fast. Chevy powered though[:P]

PS I don't think SET users are getting hammered around here at all anymore. The only reason they ever did was over stating what the amps are capable of at least from my me.

Yup well said. But I take offense of the motorhead statement my previous hobby was drag racing [;)]

No offense meant, me too. Was that picture shot at Lapeer? I'm still in the auto trade and spent the last three weeks tossing around the latest and greatest stuff up at our Northern Michigan winter test site.

Well put Paul.. And yes what some people may like out of that equipment, too, sometimes another person may hate too. I think you need to know what a person listens too music wise as well. This may determine why HE thought he needed or liked his equipment to hear it through his ears too.

This is much like when we were in Lima.. (our code prhase for "This sucks...let's get out of here and see something else.") Was applied. And that was with 10K turntables.. 15k pre amps 30k amps..and some hand built who knows what speakers..... Remember the JBL or Altec (I forget Cornerhorns) that were like the K horn... with the lens... for what 30k a pair???

I will keep my K horns thank you.. But LOVE listening to to others gear too!

LimaFest was a hoot. It's always satisfying to hear mega-thousand systems that you would not trade for your own. The real surprise for me there was just how disappointing most of the stuff was. Okay, but nothing to write home about. A lot of that can be blamed on the rooms, for sure, but how to account for the fact that the vast majority of people there really liked what they were hearing? I felt like I should be the little boy shouting that the emperor has no clothes on, what with all these attendees raving about this or that bad-sounding system. Nothing we heard there could hold a candle to your living room system.

Bigman,

The Pro 18's would be icing on the cake. It would be most interesting to listen for the "difference" they would make. Do you think the dealer would accomodate a test drive in your system?

I already inquired about the cost of the 18s. I doubt a test drive would be feasible...but I'd be willing to bet they would blend in well.