Lets see your audio racks/tables

RTTR

Mine - albeit a built-in. Tom

Hey Tom... i'm going a very similar route... (built in, cabinet like construction, white, wall trim) and was wondering what you used to hold the shelves? Are they fixed, or adjustable?

The shelves are fixed and are mounted to heavy duty, full extension drawer slides (rated at 150 lbs) that I got at Home Depot. And I used some chair rail trim on the front to give it a more finished look. It was my cheap-as* solution to a Mid-Atlantic rack. I just couldn't justify over $500 for the convenience of sliding out an entire rack and being able to rotate it for service. In hindsight, I should've worked some OT, donated blood platelettes, collected bottles, whatever to afford the Mid-Atlantic. Don't get me wrong, I think what I have looks very nice. And yes, I can slide each component out. However, with all the cables that are behind there, sliding a shelf out is very tedious to keep things from becoming unpluged. The simplest route is me crawling behind the rack and either feeding or pulling (slowly) the cables while the wife pulls or pushes the shelf. PITA!

And naturally, the height is fixed. Which doesn't really bother me seeings how it will be quite a while before any new equipment comes in the HT. And when I do change electronics in a big way, I'm gonna gut the rack and install a Mid-Atlantic. Like this one:

http://www.middleatlantic.com/enclosure/roll/axsr.htm

Tom

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the back via a walk-in closet.

This was done with 3 composite photos stitched together so there is heavy distortion in the image, which is normal....this had to be done due to tight spacing in the closet.

post-10177-13819284313544_thumb.jpg

I think I've decided on the Salamander Designs Archetype 5.0 rack.

I like it's strong industrial look, and total adjustability.

Salamander website

I would make my own like thebes but I have no woodworking skills what so ever, it would most likely come out completely crooked.

haucks%20rack.jpg

arc_a5chry.jpg

wait till you have to assemble/disassemble, hand threading those nuts gets old real quick.

I love the racks guys keep the pics coming!!

ps Thebes love the acrylic case ya got on that fischer

Thanks Travis, I've several of these, not to hard to do at all.

You can still see the tubes and little hands and cats don't get burned.

I did a long article with a lot of replies on this awhile back. I'll see if I can find the post and put a link in here.

Here's the link: http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/thread/404192.aspx

"I would make my own like thebes but I have no woodworking skills what

so ever, it would most likely come out completely crooked."

Rev it's really pretty simple, you buy the wood at Home Depot or Lowes

(I used MDF for resonance reasons) and have them cut the number of

shelves you need. Buy the threaded bars, nuts and washers in

hardware aisle. 5/8" or larger. Oh. also some cheap rubber feet in the

same aisle.

Buy a drill bit just slightly larger than the bar size. Tape all

the shelves together, mark some holes (you can maka a 3-leggged or

4-legged version) in the corners and just drill them all out at once.

Stain, poly and or paint to taste.

Eyball the seperation you want and then place it where it will be used and use a carpenters level to even up the shelves.

This last step you will have to do with the store-bought rack because

it will mostly likely come dis-assembled. If it does come

assembled you should still make sure it's level, especially if you are

going to be using a TT.

Also, I do believe there is a link to a site with directions earlier in this thread.

• 1 year later...

"I would make my own like thebes but I have no woodworking skills what so ever, it would most likely come out completely crooked."

Rev it's really pretty simple, you buy the wood at Home Depot or Lowes (I used MDF for resonance reasons) and have them cut the number of shelves you need. Buy the threaded bars, nuts and washers in hardware aisle. 5/8" or larger. Oh. also some cheap rubber feet in the same aisle.

Buy a drill bit just slightly larger than the bar size. Tape all the shelves together, mark some holes (you can maka a 3-leggged or 4-legged version) in the corners and just drill them all out at once. Stain, poly and or paint to taste.

Eyball the seperation you want and then place it where it will be used and use a carpenters level to even up the shelves.

This last step you will have to do with the store-bought rack because it will mostly likely come dis-assembled. If it does come assembled you should still make sure it's level, especially if you are going to be using a TT.

Also, I do believe there is a link to a site with directions earlier in this thread.

Too bad you don't live near TX, I'm an old Wood Shop Teacher, and I would gladly show you how to build this...it looks kind of easy....I'd like to build one!

• Moderators

That's some really nice looking racks there people !

Picky, darn, looks like the back end of a power station with all them wires ! Very neat job though, that's the most aggravating part to get straight, so I hear never done it myself ! [*]

Oh well.... Here's the DIY rack system in the "critical listening room". 1/2" finished plywood, main frame 2x4's, 1x2 trim, Black latex paint, 8 x 2" wheels. Maybe about $50; the wheels were the most expensive at $3.00 each. Rear is recessed to flush vertical to the walls to create the false corners for the inner "flanker" Klipschorns. This also gives the rear about 6" standoff from the wall and helps with air flow through the amps, and keeps the wiring nicely organized. Only thing that touches the floor are the speaker wires and the DTV coax that comes through the floor. Center LaScalas "isolated" with rubber matting; Very easily rolls around for equipment changes (only takes about 5 minutes to move the K'horns and swap out an amp, roll back and flush the horns), the monthly "dust bunny" hunting season, etc....

do all the speakers work?

Yup... they shore' do!... Wall of Voodoo (death by spl on demand)

look at profile, and the "is your system damaging your home" thread on how the system actually works.

Sorry about the TV folks.... WAF insisted on DVD movies capability, so that was as big as I could get without hitting the ceiling.... I hate it when a system configuration is built by committee and you are not always the chairman... She's ok with that though. Now the living room with the Heresy's and Cornwalls and the 52" plasma is a different matter.....

I think you need more speakers in there.[;)] Nice showing.

Had the cornwalls in there between the K'horns doing some spl & polar freq testing the other day. Nope, could not resist it....[6] Was ordered to clean up "that mess", so they went back out to the living room. I hate it when she comes home early and I'm involved in serious acoustic experiments.... [:-*]