Modify 2004 khorn question

khorn#1

Taking notice that klipsch has removed the 1 inch spacer board between the top hat horn section and the bass bin in the new khorns, Im thinking about removing the spacer board on my 2004 models. My khorns are set up in a two channel - home theater room ( 17 x 21 x8 ) and they are on the short wall with false corners. I know the long wall would be better for these performance wise but, because of home theater issues I had to compromise. Im sitting about 14 feet back for 2 channel and movie watching. The other night I got to thinking if I removed that spacer board that would lower the horn section down an inch. We all know how tall the khorns are and the importance of the sweet spot, the horn section especially the tweeter seems to be taller than ear level in my setup which Im thinking that if I removed the spacer boards it might improve performance. Im also thinking that If I did this because of the the rear upper section supports and the rear mid horn support slight modification might void my warranty. Doing this might be a total waste of time and also considering any warranty issues. These khorns are wonderful, by far the best speakers I've ever owned and the last speakers for mains I ever buy. Just wondering if this easy mod what help performance at all in my setup.Give me some input please guys.

Thanks..........Randy

There are plenty of guys on the forum who can tell you if that's a terrible idea from the woodworking stanpoint -- let me just say I think the insert has always been what makes the "B" model THE classic Klipschorn style (MO, of course). Removing it would make it more like the old "C" style -- see hifilit.com.

IMO, I think you're just fine with that classic style and the newer AK-4 drivers and network inside. Enjoy!

It would be a big mistake to change a B style Klipschorn into the C style. To me the B style always had sex appeal. It's a nice design. Look at the new LaScala, it's now a sexy looking speaker too.

I understand the LaScala change, but I don't understand why Klipsch took it away from the Klipschorn. Here I thought that Klipsch took what worked for the K-Horn and put it into the LaScala. After reading this topic I went to look at the pictures of the new Klipschorn, and sure enought you guys are right. I can't believe Klipsch did that. I even copied the B style look when I built the rounded top hats for the Altec horns.

You can lower the tweeters without changing the look. Years ago, before the Forum existed, some people would reverse the tweeter and 400 horn. My tweeters are mounted below my midrange.

I know you guys are thinking that just because my Klipschorns are C-style, I'm going to say something ridiculous about the C-style sounding better. And you're right. I think the C-style Klipschorns sound better. The B-style has always sounded like it has a notch in the middle.

post-7941-13819284423842_thumb.jpg

I had type C and type B in the same room at one time. I will be honest other than looks there was no difference in sound, in comparing the two designs. The type B was the overall top model of the Klipschorn. Type D, type C type B, Also the type B was 2 piece which made moving them easier. The 1 inch drop to me would'nt be worth taking out.

Regards Jim

I may have waited too long to buy more 2404H tweeters. I just tried to order three more of them and the order showed three 2404H-1 tweeters for $265.00 each. Performance Audio sent me an email saying that the new 2404H-1 tweeters are the same as the 2404H. Before I believe that, I need find a spec. sheet on the 2404 h-1's.

I may have waited too long to buy more 2404H tweeters. I just tried to order three more of them and the order showed three 2404H-1 tweeters for $265.00 each. Performance Audio sent me an email saying that the new 2404H-1 tweeters are the same as the 2404H. Before I believe that, I need find a spec. sheet on the 2404 h-1's.

huh?

huh?

I ment to post this in the topic,"What is the best tweeter" I also thought that I deleated this?????????

Since I have your attention, I never should have sold you the 2 JBL tweeters. I just bought 3 more new ones. I had to get two 2404H-1's and one 2404H, because they stopped making the 2404H. The 2404H-1's are the same, but are being assembled from all the left over parts from their parts department.

Back in 1976 when I bought my K-C-FR Khorns I did so because the top of the line the K-B-WO was $ 350.00 more,each. It was and still is terrific speaker. Time goes and we decide to make it look like the B style. To physically put in the spacers and trim plus refinish the two speakers cost $ 205.00 They look terrific now and there was no change in sound. It also made my wife happy. I do suggest, keep the B style, you will not notice any improvement in sound but could ruin the looks of this horn.

Norm