Why can't they all sound like this?!?

t-man

Steely Dan: Two Forces Against Nature. Ultimate sound in this CD. I just crank it, and my system sounds so good. I was about to give up on my Denon for 2 channel listening, but this CD made me realize just how transparent the Denon is. You get what you put in. Great CD = great sounds. Poor CD = poor sounds. duh.

I guess I have trash my old crappy CDs and get good recordings from now on.

------------------

KG 5.5 (mains)

KG 2.2v (center)

KLF-C7 (center in storage)

KG 1 (rears)

KSW-12 (sub)

Denon AVR 681/1601

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

Kenwood LVD700 LD

Sony CD changer

Sony 27" Trinitron

Sony PLX I

I know how ya feel about crappy engineering on most earlier CD's. I was one of the first fifty people in Cincinnati to even own a CD player (1983)so my time-period variety spans quite a ways. Now I'v got over 500 I'd like to replacecwm17.gif.

------------------

Tom

KLF-20 Mahogany (Cornell Hotwired)

McIntosh C33 Preamp

McIntosh MVP-841 CD/DVD

Rotel RB-1080 Amp

Yamaha PF-800 Turntable/ Sure V15 Type V Cartridge

Ortofon VMS-30 mkII Cartridge

Stanton 999SS Cartridge

Yamaha K-1020 Cassette

dbx 1231 EQ

H.H. Scott 830z Analyzer

Monster Interlink 400mk II

Monster Interlink 300mk II

Monster Video 2 (DVD to TV)

Studio Tech U-48RW Cabinet

Monster Power HTS-5000 Power Conditioner/Surge Protector

Original 12ga. Monster Cable

Enough empty boxes for a fire hazard!

Try Lyle Lovett's- JOSHUA JUDGES RUTH- this cd is incredible. Also If you can find some of the well recorded Dire Straights stuff you'll probably feel like you're in heaven. Just do like me guys-- if it doesn't say Telarc, Mobile Fidelity, Chesky< or some new hype about sony"s new xxx-bit oversampling then I don't give it much thought.

------------------

LSU PAINTBALL- We'll cover you with our balls!

Paintball players do it 'till their balls break!

1 Pair KLF-30's

Sonic Frontiers SFL-1 Pre-amp

Carver TFM-45 Amp

Teac AD-4 CD Player

***Needed VPI HW Series Turntable*** Anybody Sellin'?

While still on topic,the RF-7's let you hear dumpster quality recordings.VanHalen sounds live,edgy and tears my ears now!I will still use the Dynaudios,less ear tearing while you still hear the defects in the recording.

Almost all the early CD releases sound so edgy you can cut cement with the sound. ARRRRR

TheEAR(s) Now theears

My first CD player cost $700. The CD's were about $30. I made the classic mistake of turning it up trying to set the volume via noise floor - got my ears !

It lasted about 4 hours. I noticed it had a buzzy sound to it, and I did not pick up on it so quick. I found a test CD, and it really stood out on a single tone. So it went back and I got a different brand - and it was a little better.

A lot of the early CD where not that great. I had records that sounded better and I think it was due to tape generation loss that was induced by the time the CDs came out, plus bad A/D converters. I bought a lot of the MFSL CDs, they were alot better.

I think a lot of the audio producers like to push the equipment into limits when mastering - they were use to pushing tape past the limits, which was somewhat forgiving. Some of the best CDs, I have heard, have been recorded at lower levels to leave plenty of headroom.

Klipschdog,

Yea, I have the Lyle CDs, and I also have three Dire Straits CDs. Not nearly as impressive at that Steely Dan. I wouldn't mind getting the DTS audio Lyle CD.

T-man

------------------

KG 5.5 (mains)

KG 2.2v (center)

KLF-C7 (center in storage)

KG 1 (rears)

KSW-12 (sub)

Denon AVR 681/1601

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

Kenwood LVD700 LD

Sony CD changer

Sony 27" Trinitron

Sony PLX I

Yeah well, it may well be true about early CDs and early CD players.

I waited a while to make an investment in a player and a CD collection. Mostly waiting for prices on players to come down in price and the number of titles to go up.

For all the shortcomings, they beat LP's in my book.

I would play vinyl to death. There were scratches, etc.

CDs solved that.

Gil

Gee, I remember going out and begging my Father to co-sign for a loan from the credit union to get my first unit, a Sony CDP-111s. Boy, that thing was a tank! Wow!! With the drawer open (traditional front loading) you could lift the entire unit dangeling in air and it wouldn't care. I eventually wore out the laser though. Seems it was bad idea to let the thing idle while playing other medium sources.

T-man--If you like Steely Dan that much, Donald Fagen has a solo album called "Kamakiriad". Songs like "Florida Room" and "On the Dunes" should get those woofers barkin' big time!

------------------

Tom

KLF-20 Mahogany (Cornell Hotwired)

McIntosh C33 Preamp

McIntosh MVP-841 CD/DVD

Rotel RB-1080 Amp

Yamaha PF-800 Turntable/ Sure V15 Type V Cartridge

Ortofon VMS-30 mkII Cartridge

Stanton 999SS Cartridge

Yamaha K-1020 Cassette

dbx 1231 EQ

H.H. Scott 830z Analyzer

Monster Interlink 400mk II

Monster Interlink 300mk II

Monster Video 2 (DVD to TV)

Studio Tech U-48RW Cabinet

Monster Power HTS-5000 Power Conditioner/Surge Protector

Original 12ga. Monster Cable

Enough empty boxes for a fire hazard!

This message has been edited by tblasing on 11-02-2001 at 02:09 PM

I think Sony poorly masters their CDs in order to push their SACD technology. But, I love a good conspiracy theroy.

Patricia Barber "Companion" on Blue Note is awesome. Any audio junkie needs this one in their collection.

I just bought Eric Clapton "Rainbow Concert" on Polydor remastered in 1995. It is a little sloppy but what a hot rock band. Steve Winwood singing "Presence of the Lord" back in 1973 is very solid recording of a male rock vocal. Members of Traffic are kind of the backup band.

Pete Townsend and Ron Wood playing guitar with EC is very impressive but a bit cluttered at times. Overall the recording is raw but allot more fun than some of the overproduced recordings of the last few years.

While we're on the subject, Iposted this in the reveiw section. There is a band from Canada called Blue Rodeo. My wife and I heard "Five Days In May" off the SAT/TV. It blew us both away and we bought the CD the next day. It's called "Five Days In July". This music, songs, and mix is a must for any Klipschead. The instruments are all recorded well and there is "air" around them. If you like Dylan,Dire straits,Pink Floyd,The Byrds,Neil Young,and Hank Williams you MUST have this disk. Been listening to it for three weeks now and don't want to listen to anything else. Geaux Tigers!

Lone Palm: Interesting posts here. I've been collecting Blue Rodeo material for over a decade now and fully agree with your cut on them. They have a unique kind of style. It's not country, not rock and not pop but it has elements of all three. Silky smooth vocals and just a GREAT overall sound.

Steely Dan has always paid attention to record engineering and it shows even on their early records. Every collection deserves "Gaucho" and "Aja". Classics that sound fantastic and I never tire of. I hope they cut a few more before they retire.

If you like jazz, try some Holly Cole and some Diana Krall (another Canadian Grammy award winner) Smile.gif. Especially Diana, WOW what a voice.

There is plenty of well recorded music out there, the only trouble is one doesn't have the opportunity to here it. There are some mainstream artists who produces good music but most of what one hears on the radio and tv is just merchandize to make a quick buck for some huge record company. I would have never heard of Diana Krall if it were not for this forum. It might be interesting to list your favorite recordings here. Judge them on content, and sound quality. Just a thought.

OK! I'll start it off.

1 Anything by The Beatles except Let It Be. George Martin is the greatest.

2.Blue Rodeo "Five Daays In May". Tasty tunes,and emmaculate production.

3. Steely Dan "Two Against Nature" Unbelieveable Live Sound.

4.The Rolling Stones "Unzipped". Sounds like they sat up in your living room for rehersals.

5. Neil Young 'Haarvest Moon". Beautiful melodies, tasteful production,and silky smooth.

6. Guy Clark "Keepers" GREAT live recording of "manly" country-folk songs,each one a short story.

7. Lucinda Williams "Caar Wheels On A Gravel Road" Roots rock from a girl that could hang out with the guys.

I just recieved my new Arcam A-75 on Thursday and I was using various CDs to see what type of sound I can expect from it. I can't wait until it is burned in.

I only have 'A Decade of Steely Dan' on CD. I have most of their stuff on vinyl because I was always a big fan of theirs. Even though the 'Decade' cd is a 'best of' and probably isn't their best sounding cd,I noticed several of the tracks sound incredible. On 'Babelon Sisters' the kick drum accents hits you right between the eyes and the cuts from "Aja' have an incredible soundstage and presence. If I have time today,I think I may go purchase "Gaucho' and 'Two against Nature.'