For all you aircraft nuts

Tom Adams

Thought you'd find this interesting. Our Gulfstream G550 is our top 'o the line model. Around $40M a pop. This is but one of many city pair records our G550's (and G450's) have set. If any of you are interested in one or more, please call me. I could retire off the commission! LOL...........

----------------------------------------------------------

G550 SETS SPEED RECORD BETWEEN SEOUL AND SALT LAKE CITY:

A G550 recently established a new city-pair speed record by flying 5,642

nautical miles between Seoul, South Korea, and Salt Lake City in 10

hours and 19 minutes. With four crew members and seven passengers

on board, the G550 took off from Incheon International Airport in Seoul

at 10:30 p.m. local time on March 25. It flew at an average airspeed of

Mach 0.85 into an average headwind of 64 knots, crossing the

International Dateline and landing at Salt Lake City International Airport

at 4:27 p.m. the same day with 4,000 pounds of fuel remaining.

Gulfstream has submitted an application to the National Aeronautic

Association to confirm the new city-pair record.

Yes & no. There will be an expansion over the next 7 years which will add around 1100 direct employees (we have 4300 here now) and the project is fully funded at $300M. All of the expansion will take place here with new buildings for production, service and completions. Engineering is also slated to get their own building.

Yeah - that's what got me is the 4000 lbs of fuel remaining. Of course, they weren't bucking too much of a headwind.

Tom

Jackson,

The jets we fly are along the same size as the G550 but set up like a bus and not a luxury car the cost is only around 20 mil. to buy. We have a very rough figure that we use as a base cost per hour that covers crew, mx and fuel. It cost's us about $2000.00 an hour to fly our plane. We do have a completely different cost structure than you would have in general aviation tho. We have our own mechanics and we buy all our own parts so we save some doing that rather than having someone else work on them. I don't really know if you can compair our numbers to what a general aviation operator would pay either. We fly our aircraft about as much in a month as most general aviation planes fly in a year, so that would have to be factured in as well cause your price per hour would go down the nore you fly so to speak.

I guess that probably didn't tell you anything did it??? All I know is I could not aford to keep a plane like that in the air on the money I make.

Steve

Well......our "operating numbers" are around $2500 an hour for the G550 and around $2300 an hour for the G450. And yes 1mpg seems bad in auto terms, but the gph (gallons per hour) at cruise consumption for our aircraft (can't recall the figure off the top of my head) is really quite good when you consider the speeds we fly. Something else not quite apparent is the altitude our aircraft can fly at. Generally speaking we can go straight to cruise altitude without having to step up to it (fly at an altitude to burn off some fuel, then climb to another altitude, etc.) and once there, due to the flight level being above commercial traffic, the operator can fly a straight line path to their destination. Simply put - we fly higher, farther, and faster than ANY other biz jet. No brag, just fact.

A funny....on a return trip test flight from the west coast, our test pilot was contacted by Air Force air traffic control asking the pilot to state his altitude and position since normally the only aircraft that operated at that alttitude were military craft. I seem to recall the aircraft was at 48,000 feet at .88 mach.

Seriously - if any of you want one of these fine examples of aircraft art, just let me know. LOL....you should've seen the stuck in the 60's hippie van interior job we did for the Peavy's plane. Oh - and the Peavy's supplied the audio for the plane. I was told it's the only Gulfstream that will thump.

Oh - and as for summer interns....go to Gulfstream.com and click on careers. We've got a program for summer interns.

Tom

Tom: What are the delivery numbers like at Gulfstream. At Falcon we did 52 last year and will do about the same this year. But next year will be around the 70 mark as long as we get the certification on the 7X. Thanks Bill

We have one plane in our flight test phase now that has natural colored silk carpet in it. What a pain trying to keep it clean. Bill

Tom: What are the delivery numbers like at Gulfstream. At Falcon we did 52 last year and will do about the same this year. But next year will be around the 70 mark as long as we get the certification on the 7X. Thanks Bill

We have one plane in our flight test phase now that has natural colored silk carpet in it. What a pain trying to keep it clean. Bill

I don't know the exact numbers, but they're pretty close to those.

BTW, the G550 is certified to FL510 and .87mach. However, I know that they've done FL520+ and have heard they've done almost .90mach. That pretty amazing since the wing is not a swept wing design.

Joe....a Breitling???? Dude - them is some $$$$$$$$$$$ watches. Man, that is some gift.

Tom

Wow, that really is amazing piece. I was up with a work buddy in his Mooney (1967, built before I was born) going about 175 mph @ 3000 ft from Pottstown/Limerick PA to Teterborough NJ for a work trip. Really cool, but that thing must be another realm all together. Wow again.

Edit: Given how much that Mooney cost perhaps I should start driving the corvette to work.

Tom.... well, she got it from her brother who's a seal over in Afghanistan, probably on the black market or something? For what she said she paid for it, I find it hard to believe its genuine, although it does look nice :)

Joe-I didn't know you were related to a SEAL. LOL, he probably pulled it off some Taliban with a bumper sticker on his 1958 Mercedes that says, "You can have my Brietling when you pry it from my cold dead fingers..."

David