digital photography

colterphoto1

Thanks,

Colter do not stop posting on this thread!

You are the reason I am thinking about digital. If it's good enough for your line of work its good enough for what I want to do.

My brother is flying his new plane up to Bham Saturday for a test flight and I was thinking about getting a camera for this weekend, but I just bought 4 rolls of film for my NY trip that I have not used yet, plust I have 10 rolls of film that I need to get developed yet. I'm thinking that I will just get them put on CD's so I can download them to my apple.

If I do get a camera it will be between Nikon and Canon.

Colter call me a prick or something, but keep posting my man!

I for one missed the stack of klipsch and the curly head dude giving the thumbs up.

Danny

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Chops,

I just reread your post to my thread.

Thanks for making me feel real good about my purchase. What was your point exactly? I'm so glad that you're an expert on everything and that your life is perfect in every way. Exactly how long have you been making a living in photography?

I'm done with this thread. Try to share what little joy I get in life and get shot down. Thanks a lot buddy!

I don't need this kind of 'support' anymore. My blood pressure is through the roof right now.

This just stopped being fun again.

See ya guys , it lasted a week this time.

Michael

You have pm, Mike. Thanks.

Oh I see. So now I'm the bad guy here... It's not me, it's all the reviews, test reports, recalls and facts floating around. I just figured I'd let people know where these two companies stand.

I'll openly admit, Canon is not without fault. Their D60 that came out several years ago couldn't hold a decent exposure to save its life. The 20D was rittled with issues from the very fist day it came out, and those issues were NEVER resolved until the 30D was introduced. The 550EX flash units are nothing more than $480 paper weights which never produce the desired and/or required lighting, also an issue that was NEVER resolved until they came out with the 580EX.

With that being said...

That's exactly the reason why Canon usually introduces new equipment every year. They read the test results, reviews and listen to the consumer, then make the appropriate changes in the next model.

Nikon on the other hand ignores most of the test results, etc, etc. And the worst thing they could do is ignore the consumer, which they DO! They try to make quick fixes by posting firmware upgrades and recalls on current models.

So yes Mike, you are correct in saying that the D200 is much better than the 20D. It's even better than the new 30D. Price-wise, you're getting a lot more "bang for your buck" getting the D200 over the Canon 5D, but in no way is it better than the 5D.

It's a fact that several years ago, Nikon grossed over $4 billion in sales while Canon spent more that $5 billion in R&D alone! Once digital came out, Canon worked hard and long to be #1 in digital photography which they now are. Nikon came out with the D1x and D1h which all the field photographers for news papers and mags bought up like candy because they were the one and only out at the time. However, when Canon introduced the EOS 1D and everyone saw the vast improvement over the Nikons, these die-hard Nikon owners sold their years worth of Nikon equipment to switch over to Canon and have never looked back.

Because Nikon had ALL of the digital pro camera fame for the first couple of years, they figured they could just site back and enjoy the ride. Well that hurt them in the end because Canon cought up quick and blew right past them and Nikon has never been able to catch up ever since.

I wasn't downing your decision or anything. I only mentioned one little problem with the D200 which has since been fixed and is now a non-issue. Everything else I mentioned about Nikon was the lower end stuff.

So like I said, do not make me out to be the bad guy here. I'm just the messenger here and thought it was only fair for people to know both sides of the "camera war". You can read about all the stuff I said here and much, much more online by just doing a little research.

And if you can't handle the truth about this, then I don't know what to tell you.

Again, I'm sorry if I upset you. That was not my intention. However you were the one who first said that "the D200 rivals the Canon 5D", which just simply is not true one bit.

Okay, I'm done.

So who wants to argue hammers? I'm sure we can sit and think all day

about the benefits of the new fiberglass blah blah fancy names for new

technology in hammers, but unless you're actually hammering in nails it

doesn't matter what you think is best. The camera is just a tool...and

if you can hammer in the nail with it then what does it matter?

Chops, alI can say to you is learn manual.

The best light meters to me is my eyes. Stop asking the camera to do the job that god gave you. I see all these baby photographers pulling out their light meters and losing the moment.......... I mean seconds do count especially when the sun is setting! Relie on your senses, not a machine.

Also the customer that had the 16.2 megapixel camera also was a prior nikon owner. Guess what he did not want to switch but was forced to because "The customers wanted 16.2 megapixels" and yet they still resize it cause again it is too big and 7 can fit on a cd. He also noted that the feel was not near nikon, in which he admitted with grief that he said he nearly dropped the camera a numerous times. Also he quoted that the nikon was more logical in the menu buttons as colter said.

Canon cashed in on the digital bandwagen yes because they invested alot more time and money. That does not mean that nikon sucks. I mean seriously, why don't you buy some paradigms and other speakers that are around the same price and more then klipsch. There is a thing called brand loyalty. Also don't even mock me, I will school you in photography. Anyone have a professional negative scanner? I think I have boxes on boxes of them. Mostly B&W, some even infrared B&W, I brought two rolls by kodak which I doubt they still make (was in the freezer for 5 years) anyways also I happen to like long exposures, more then 10 minute exposures) yeah umm DrWho camera shake is crazy on that, think walking on tip toes and not allowing people 10 feet near (this is night time exposures of course. BTW most professional cameras have for super shake resistance, mirror release which basically you have to focus prior to (non moving items) and release the mirror and shot blind and hope for the best.

Michael, btw my hasselblad was the camera chosen to goto the moon [:P] and still are there! (the die hards will know why they are still on the moon)

And your purchase of the d200 was a wise decision, I might goto BH photo and pic one up when I have enough money. Also Chops, the reasons are many why nikon is chosen, bar non, Nikon has the best intergration of flash with camera.

BTW DrWho titanium since they have a superior weight difference and the shock absorbing properties of titanium [:o]

For a smaller sized, fully functional digital camera, try this on by Canon, my Photoshop instructor recommended it highly. Lots smaller than a 35mm sized unit, good zoom, 5 MP, does short movies, etc. Canon S2 iS (newer one is S3 iS)

http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=ModelDetailAct&fcategoryid=144&modelid=11368

As a 20 year professional amateur [;)] [:)] I completely concur with this suggestion. I own an S2 iS and really like it. I will probably never use all the features, but have started playing around with some. Mostly I bought it for the zoom, the lens, and the way it felt more like a 35mm body in my hand. The one thing about the camera I have trouble getting use to is that it doesn't automatically fire off the flash like most point-n-shoots do. But, I've learned to pay attention to all those icons in the viewfinder. Which is why I'm a professional amateur versus an amateur amateur. LOL..........

BTW - my avatar pic was taken with the S2 iS by me. And let me tell you - it took A LOT of courage to hold that $400 camera with my out-stretched left hand while maintaining speed and staying on the road with my right. Even though the strap was wrapped around my wrist, I still had visions of seeing it in my rearview mirror bouncing down the road.

Tom

........Are you saying there is no eyepiece? I don't care for that. Holding the camera away from your body to compose on the screen invites camera shake. Try again..........

Nooooo nooooo. The Sony has a view finder (or eyepiece), it's just that it's an electronic one (EVF). I think I'd prefer an optical viewfinder, it's more like looking into an SLR viewfinder. There is some parallax with an optical viewfinder since you're not viewing through the actual lens but it's generally brighter than an electronic view finder. Other than that, I like the Sony R1.

Nikon vs Canon? Nikon has been sluggish in the digital area and Canon has a technical edge but I am way too attached to my Nikon lenses to ever give them up. I have some legendary Nikon gems. I am also impressed with Nikon for hanging on to the F mount since I can still use all of my classic lenses on my digital SLR. I also admire Nikon for putting out the F6 when the whole world went digital. I'd love to have one. The F6 may end up being the ultimate evolution of the 35mm pro SLR and it's fitting that the final entry would come from Nikon.

Chops, alI can say to you is learn manual.

The best light meters to me is my eyes. Stop asking the camera to do the job that god gave you. I see all these baby photographers pulling out their light meters and losing the moment.......... I mean seconds do count especially when the sun is setting! Relie on your senses, not a machine.

Also the customer that had the 16.2 megapixel camera also was a prior nikon owner. Guess what he did not want to switch but was forced to because "The customers wanted 16.2 megapixels" and yet they still resize it cause again it is too big and 7 can fit on a cd. He also noted that the feel was not near nikon, in which he admitted with grief that he said he nearly dropped the camera a numerous times. Also he quoted that the nikon was more logical in the menu buttons as colter said.

Canon cashed in on the digital bandwagen yes because they invested alot more time and money. That does not mean that nikon sucks. I mean seriously, why don't you buy some paradigms and other speakers that are around the same price and more then klipsch. There is a thing called brand loyalty. Also don't even mock me, I will school you in photography. Anyone have a professional negative scanner? I think I have boxes on boxes of them. Mostly B&W, some even infrared B&W, I brought two rolls by kodak which I doubt they still make (was in the freezer for 5 years) anyways also I happen to like long exposures, more then 10 minute exposures) yeah umm DrWho camera shake is crazy on that, think walking on tip toes and not allowing people 10 feet near (this is night time exposures of course. BTW most professional cameras have for super shake resistance, mirror release which basically you have to focus prior to (non moving items) and release the mirror and shot blind and hope for the best.

Michael, btw my hasselblad was the camera chosen to goto the moon [:P] and still are there! (the die hards will know why they are still on the moon)

And your purchase of the d200 was a wise decision, I might goto BH photo and pic one up when I have enough money. Also Chops, the reasons are many why nikon is chosen, bar non, Nikon has the best intergration of flash with camera.

BTW DrWho titanium since they have a superior weight difference and the shock absorbing properties of titanium [:o]

I will say it again, I AM NOT a photographer, nor do I care to be one. Photography doesn't interest me the least. I tried it for a while (less than 6 months) and it bored me to tears. Yeah, I made a little extra cash here and there, but nothing worth continuing my efforts. It's just not my cup of tea.

Also, I really do wish you guys would stop putting words in my mouth. Not once did I ever say "Nikon sucks" or anything like that. I just don't agree with the way they do things sometimes. However, their customer service has always been stellar.

Yes, I know Nikon has the best camera/flash integration. I never said they didn't. That was Canon I mentioned that about.

No, I don't own a film scanner, but we do have a Nikon CoolScan 4000ED that I have worked to death at work. It's a great scanner (except for the shoddy slide bulk loader) and has lasted for over 5 years now. We looked at the Minolta, Sony, Poliroid and Canon film scanners, and none of them came close to the Nikon abilities and quality.

I'm not sure where the story about the guy and the 16.2mp camera came from in your post, but I don't agree with the Nikon feeling better than the Canon (D2x, D2h, 1D MkII, 1Ds Mk II). To me, they both feel like great cameras. They fit my hands perfectly and do not feel like I would easily drop any of them. I certainly like the feel of the D200 over any of the Canon 5D, 30D, 20D, etc, etc.

And BTW, I do not need to be "schooled" (I really hate that term) on photography, since I have no desire to learn anything about it. I know enough to get by, and I can correct anything I need to in Photoshop CS.

And to be perfectly honest, if I was in the market for a digital SLR, I would go with a Fuji FinePix S3 Pro. As others here have said, Nikon's glass is excellent, and it is, and the Fuji uses the Nikon F-mount! The main reason I'd go with the S3 is because I like what Fuji does with their sensors and processing. I think the images off of the S3 looks better than anything Nikon, Canon or Olympus can do. But that is strickly my opinion.

Mike, like I said before, you DID make a great decision, especially because you already have an investment in great glass.

Anyway, I hope people don't take me to be an a$$ or something now because of this thread. All I did was state a few known facts (in the industry) about both companies, and a little history between the two, and that's it. I never meant for anyone to get upset or second-guess their purchase or anything.

That's all I have to say for now. Please don't take any of what I said out of context or put words in my mouth. That's just not right and it's not my intentions.

.......BTW - my avatar pic was taken with the S2 iS by me.  And let me tell you - it took A LOT of courage to hold that $400 camera with my out-stretched left hand while maintaining speed and staying on the road with my right.  Even though the strap was wrapped around my wrist, I still had visions of seeing it in my rearview mirror bouncing down the road.

Tom

Here is a shot you might like that taken by a guy I know on his turbocharged Hayabusa. He used a camera mount and remote release instead of "one handing" it at 180 mph.

post-17394-13819286787982_thumb.jpg

post-17394-13819291056438_thumb.jpg

post-17394-13819295016222_thumb.jpg

.......BTW - my avatar pic was taken with the S2 iS by me. And let me tell you - it took A LOT of courage to hold that $400 camera with my out-stretched left hand while maintaining speed and staying on the road with my right. Even though the strap was wrapped around my wrist, I still had visions of seeing it in my rearview mirror bouncing down the road.

Tom

Here is a shot you might like that taken by a guy I know on his turbocharged Hayabusa. He used a camera mount and remote release instead of "one handing" it at 180 mph.

Coooool. Of course, let's be real here for a moment. ALL speedometers (especially on Jap bikes) are wildly optomistic towards the upper end of their range. Probably reading high by as much as 10% or more. Nonetheless, he's a-going pretty dern fast.

Saw the needle swing past 150 on my ZX9R a few times and even saw it swing past 160 once. Yeah - that's fast, but it gets there reeeeeal fast.

Life begins @ 150mph. [:)]

Tom

digital vs. film.... the camera is just a tool that extends a person's creativity and "seeing" why does it matter which camera to use and which specifications are more important than the other. There are some grainy (undesirable to most?) photos that were composed immaculately and was meaningful ... and I've seen photos with spectacular clarity but poor composed and meaningless. To me, the camera is only the last 5% :) or barely that?

So who wants to argue hammers? I'm sure we can sit and think all day

about the benefits of the new fiberglass blah blah fancy names for new

technology in hammers, but unless you're actually hammering in nails it

doesn't matter what you think is best. The camera is just a tool...and

if you can hammer in the nail with it then what does it matter?

Ill take you up on that! I prefer a good

diagonal cross peen to a straight peen any day. I have over a dozen hammers,

each different and not one of them will be caught driving in a nail! I also

like a good thinned down wooden handle, it reduces the shock of impact. Modern

fiberglass handles S**k and lets not even talk about METAL handles!