What's The Cats Meow Of TT Cartridges

Gilbert

The TT is a TD124 MKII.

Any advice or words of wisdom would be welcome to this born-again vinyl newbey. Listening will be Stereo LP's. Maybe later down the road I can add a second arm and be way too cool like Alan.[;)]

Tone are is an SME3009. I know beans about beans, and even less about TT's.

Since I have returned to Vinyl, I have had a fair bit of time with a Sumiko Blue Point, Grado Red, The Grado Sonata ( both the reference and the statement )and more recently the Shelter 901.

I really really iked the Sonata. I think compared to other way more expensive offerings, it really excels I can imagine being happy forever with the Sonata. Then I got the 901. It is exceptional. Very dynamic and detailed. I could take or leave the Sumiko, in fact I prefer a Grado red to the Blue Point.

The costs of these are I believe something like

Sonata 500.00

Grado Red 120.00

Ble Point 350.00

Shelter 901 1500.00

I could have these prices wrong as its all from memory and that is not very reliable.

Josh

The TT is a TD124 MKII.

Any advice or words of wisdom would be welcome to this born-again vinyl newbey. Listening will be Stereo LP's. Maybe later down the road I can add a second arm and be way too cool like Alan.[;)]

Tone are is an SME3009. I know beans about beans, and even less about TT's.

You have ONE, OBVIOUS CHOICE with that table and arm--the Ortofon SPU. If you don't want to venture into the used market, you can get a really nice new one for about $500-$700. Any other cartridge would be just WRONG. I have owned a TD124 for YEARS and used a 3009 for many of them and tried a whole MESS of cartridges when I was first fooling around with this stuff. Stay AWAY from anything from SHURE, GRADO, GOLDRING, SUMIKO,--well, the list goes on and on. The Denon 103 would be an OK aternative to the SPU, as would the Decca London.

Get the SPU. Email me if you want to know which one to buy NEW.

Do you have a MC input on your preamp? If not, do you have a step-up? If you don't I left a nice Ortofon step up at boomac's house and I don't think he's using it, so I could have him send it to you . . .

SPU SPU SPU SPU SPU SPU SPU SPU

Allan, which Ortofon SPU is your first recommendation? And will the one Gary recommended work with my TT? As for the MC input thing, your going over my head. Shyt, I don't even now what SPU or MC stands for or means.

The system that the Thorens will be connected to consist of a pair of MC60's, a C22 and a MR71. I know that's more info than you need, but the C22 as you already know has 2 phono stages. So I thought that was it, and I was set, just plug and play with the TT. Is that not right?

How difficult is it to setup a TT?

What are some of the most important things to consider when setting one up?

My previous TT's were relatively cheap and crappy, this one will be my first (but not my last) high end table.

Hi Gilbert,

For low output moving coil (LOMC) cartridges you need a step-up transformer. These cartridges generally only produce .3 mV to .8mV of power compared to HOMC or moving magnet (MM) cartridges. If you ordered a BlueBerry Xtreme from Mark, he would supply the Cream option to provide the step-up for the lomc cartridges.

I'm not sure what the SPU is but it sounds like it's a LOMC, as most high dollar cartridges are. I'm sure Allan will add more input.

Mike

SPU_MEISTER_GM.jpg

Here is the range of brand new Ortofon SPU cartridges:

http://www.phonophono.de/YOrtofon_SPU_GM1_e.php3?Kennung=

The prices are higher than I quoted earlier. It's been a while since I've priced them, I guess! I know that there are Asian suppliers than can beat these prices by at least 10-15%. There are NO USA distributors for the SPU range of cartrdiges.

The lowest price SPU is the CLassic with the conical stylus--unless you are playing lots of original 50's and 60's vinyl I wouldn't get this one. The next step up is the Classic with the eliptical stylus, which would be an excellent choice. I have never heard the Reference or the Meister, but my "SPU buddies" say that they sound more like modern hi-fi cartrdiges but still retain much of the SPU warmth and lushness.

All of the current production SPUs need a "step up" between your table and the preamp. As I said before, Scott (boomac) has one of my old Ortofon units that he is not using and I can have him send it to you--feel free to use it until I ask for it back (which might be NEVER or until you get the urge to get a REALLY REALLY great step up). This step up sells for about $300 on ebay used, so it's a REALLY nice one from the late 1970's.

I have to tell you the Ortofon SPU is the most MUSICAL cartridge I have ever owned. I will never use anything else.

Even from this German suppllier the Classic with the eliptical stylus is about $1000, which is a BARGAIN for what you are getting.

Do not hesitate, Gilbert. I have more experience with your "new" table and arm than anyone else here on the Klipsch Forum and I am NOT giving you bad advice!!!

A Nice PDF on the SPU:

http://www.speakerbits.com/net/resources/pdf/Ortofon%20SPU.pdf

Here are some more dealers:

http://www.takefiveaudio.com/mall/Ortofon_Products/cartridges_spu_classic_gme.html

EXCELLENT PRICE IN ITALY:

http://www.magicsound.it/shop/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=50&products_id=1858

Japanese Dealer:

http://store.yahoo.co.jp/system-in-net/ortfona1a11.html

DON'T WORRY ABOUT THIS, GILBERT! BUY THE DAMN SPU!!!

Oh, and as far as the Tranfiguration Spirit working with an SME 3009?

This would be a big-time waste of time and money--a SUPERB cartridge totally ill-suited to your equipment. You could ABSOLUTELY use the Transfiguration cartidge with the TD-124, but you'll need a different tonearm . . .

I will be the contrarian and suggest you drop less than $100 on a Shure mx97e. It mates extremely well with your SME and may be all you ever need. If not, drop it back on ebay and dump the multiple hundreds of dollars on something esoteric and clamored after by audiophiles. I use it on my 125/SME and am extremely pleased with its performance - in fact, I bought a replacement stylus for it when the day comes it needs replacing.

Anarchist--which SME tonearm do you have? If it's a series III then you've got the right cartridge, if it's a series 2 improved then the Shure will work OK but it wouldn't be my first choice . . .

Gilbert has an original series 1 and the Shure would be a BIG MISTAKE in my opinion.

Your TD125 has nothing in common with the TD 124 other than the "Thorens" name and build quality.

What type of changes, modification or enhancements did they do between the different series? I believe there are 3 types, or series as SME describes it.

Allan, I sent you an email to your office address,...did you get it? Let me know, thanks.

SPU_MEISTER_GM.jpg

Oh, and as far as the Tranfiguration Spirit working with an SME 3009?

That would be the Temper, not the Spirit. I won't hold it against you though.[;)]

Listen to Allan, Gilbert. When you're ready for a more modern setup, we'll talk.

How silly of me! OF COUUSE it's the Temper!! It's only TWO THOUSAND DOLLARS MORE than the Spirit!!!

TRansfiguration TEMPER SUPREME [large view]

Gilbert, you got a very nice table. Awesome!! I can't help with cart recommendations, as my system lives farther down the food chain.

If you are interested in some vinyl, a 100 mile road trip to Joplin might be a good thing.

ALso, are you planning on attending the Great Plains Audio Fest the first of May there in Tulsa?

Steve

I'll pass on this Seller. 5 Neg's and 1 Neutural in less than a year, and all from Buyers stating his descriptions are less than accurate. No thanks, I'd rather pay slightly less than MSRP, than roll dice with that guy. Besides, getting a new one in the box would give me a warm fuzzy...and a a stiffy.[:D]