Good or bad idea for my dad?

Coytee

Ok, now you can see the field I'm talking about...here's a fact about my father. He LOVES marching bands. Ohio State marching band in particular. How much does he enjoy marching bands?

I'm glad you asked... last year (at 75 years old) he jumped into his car & drove from Hilton Head to Knoxville to pick me up. We then drove up to Findlay Ohio and said hello to his cousins and then drove over to Columbus to attend the Miami University (alma mater to us both) -vs- Ohio State.

We got there early to watch the band practice beforehand and since it was "Band Alumni day" or something like that, they had a BUNCH of graduated band members there, ranging in age from graduated 1 year prior, to near 100 years old. They had Ohio State (current) band, the Alumni band AND they also had Miami's band playing...they really tore up that building. OSU's band is something like 250 members and there were about 600 members cranking away (was very impressive) They also did FOUR Script Ohio's during halftime.

Went to game & sat through first half as Ohio State mopped up on Miami. Then came halftime and the bands came out...

Enjoyed the band shows and after halftime, hit the road BACK to Knoxville.

So yes, he drove from hilton Head to Knoxville to Findlay and then to Columbus to simply watch the band at halftime.

So, here is my idea...

I've got several Ohio State marching band cd's. I have the field in front of me and I'm in the middle of 250 acres so my neighbors are far & few (father in law & uncle in law live near me off to the left)

Ok... I was wondering just how "real" it might sound if I schlepped my LaScalas out doors and put them either on the sidewalk or take them down to the front of my yard so they are pointing towards the field. Drag the grill & table/umbrella out there and have a grillout in the middle of the field with the LaScalas pumping out OSU marching band stuff.

I've got what I think, is appropriate wattage (probably at least 400x2 if I bridge).

Just wondering anyones thoughts as to how it might sound with the LaScalas 10,20,30,100?? feet apart working up a sweat facing that field?

Worth dragging things around to try?

Think it might sound better at night/early evening?

Shall I dump the idea in lieu of staying inside & listening to the Osmonds Christmas special??

DON'T SELL

lol, not mine to make that decision, although I AM trying to find a way I can buy the place. What the pictures do NOT show is just on the other side of that hill is a lake (Tellico Lake). So from the left shot to the right shot and probably... 1/2 mile or so (wild guess) off to the right, the "farm" parallels the lake. We don't own any of the "lake front" land as TVA (Tennessee Valley Authority) owns all the land "touching" the waterfront, but we abut right up to TVA. Father in law use to own 1,200 acres here until TVA "took" (stole??) it a number of years ago via emanent domain.

I moved out here kickign & screaming... told the wife I was a cityboy and didnt' want to live PAST east egypt (we're 15 miles outside of town). Now that I've lived here for 7 years, I must admit, my lightbulb has gone off and I DO love it (hence, my desire to buy it, but ouchhhhhhhhhh... 250 acres on the lake... you have a clue???)

Coytee,

That is a kind and generous thing to consider for your dad. That is one lovely setting, too.

The idea sounds good. The quality of the sound should be good. Whether it touches his marching band love, that part is hard to anticipate, I'd imagine.

Short of being at the game, there is nothing that would "sound" better.

I think planning to hang out there with him would be fun for both of you. Having some other genres of music to try out in the setting could also be fun. Something like "walking in the air" sung by Chloe Agnew on Celtic Woman or some of the other tracks that have that celtic ethereal haunting quality could be pretty powerful in that setting.

That is some beautiful country you see out your front door.

lovely.

'

Thank you all for the kind words. I must admit, when I met my now wife, I thought (knew) I met a "diamond in the rough"... little did I know at that point in time she had much more caret weight than anticipated... (although that COULD sound bad, it's meant good [;)])

So, if you were going to do an initial setup outside like that, (realizing it's not TOO much fun to schlep LaScalas around whimsically) what kind of distance would you try to setup between them? I'd imagine with a space that big you could easily have them too close. On the other hand, with a space that big, you might NEED them fairly close (20') to keep a big hole from growing in the middle??

You might appreciate that if I were to do a dry run myself, I'd have to set them up, run to field, give a listen...go back, adjust... perhaps change volume... go to field, give a listen... adjust again... back to field... (pant pant pant) and THEN take it all down, also alone. It's not like I can bribe the neighbor boy for $10.00...

Unfortunate for me, Dad is a Bose kinda guy... 'make it simple and give me a single on/off/play button to push'. A hammer is almost mechanically beyond his means to operate (and he's a developer!!! figure THAT irony). He'd be of no help setting any of it up. His job would be to just listen & enjoy.

now that I think about this more, I think it might just be interesting to put them on the sidewalk once and give it a whirl... after all, to do that, all I gotta do is drag them through the doorway & set down. Perhaps I can try it while I'm cutting said field (on a 48" riding mower I might add)

For anyone who noticed, yes, off in the distance to the right are some grape vines and behind them, blueberry bushes. We get a handful of grapes that the birds usually beat us to but we get a TON of blueberrys!!! I mean, gallons and gallons and gallons...literally.

lol yes Scott. I graduated in December '83 & I lived on Western campus. My hometown was Hamilton.

Piece of trivia... if you recall "Dorsey Hall", it was a girls dorm while I was there. Anyways, my middle name happens to be Dorsey which is also my grandmothers maiden name. Although I don't know who & how since I never got off my DUFF to find out while I was there, but Dorsey Hall was named after someone in my family, on my grandmothers side. I think their lineage was in Findlay.

you want more trivia? (think movie: A few good men) YOU CAN'T HANDLE TRIVIA!!! (because this is REALLY trivial)

ok, I had to get that out of my system... but there is also a street in Hamilton called "Dorsey Drive". Seems when you are a developer, you have to get streets put in...the side benefit is, you get a crack at naming them. (dad was the developer)

Although it's really named after my Grandmothers family, it never stopped me from driving down it with a friend in the car and jokingly tell them that "these people" were my 'subjects'.

[;)]

Coytee-I think it's a great, heartwarming idea. What a great thing to do for your dad. Heck, you could even take him on a little walk in the woods and get your wife to start the music at some predetermined point in time. Nice.

I sold a couple of LaScalas during the winter to a forum member from Chicago. He was going to drive up here, pick them up and take them home all without giving them a listen. I wanted to give him the opportunity to hear them before driving off with them, so I set them up in my garage and powered them with my Aragon 2004 amp, Aragon 24k preamp and an Adcom cd player. I positioned them so that the were fairly close to the garage door, thinking that I may be creating another horn out of my garage, lol. I should also mention that I live in a subdivision, albeit not one of the newer subs where the houses are as close together as mobile homes are in a park. On to the music...

I decided to play a little Christmas music for my neighbors, well, make that my neighborhood!! I'm not kidding you, I'll bet in that thin air you could have heard my LaScalas playing at least 1/2 mile away lol. There is a church outside of the sub and down the road, probably a good 1/2 mile away that plays bells through an outdoor horn and we can often hear it very clearly here at my house. My wife and I stood at the end of our driveway (about three carlengths long) and the volume was such that we had to pretty much yell to hear each other talk! How did it sound, you ask? I think it sounded phenomenal!!! We were playing some Christmas brass music-setting the mood for the neighborhood!

If I were you, I'd try it out just for the heck of it. Get your system set up, grab a lawn chair, sit back take in the scenery while listening to some tunes-you'll probably decide to pay more for the place!

David

That's some very nice country.

Re: the La Scalas outside. More than likely you may need to consider 2 pairs of La Scalas to spread the sound out a bit. More speakers means better sound distribution otherwise those closer to the sound source could find the spl's uncomfortable, while those further away may find the spl's not high enough. Maybe the speakers could be raised a bit off the ground as well.

Coytee, been there, did it without much success. You can set up a conventional spread, say thirty feet or so apart with a normal toe-in, but you have to park your dad and make sure he doesn't wander inside the cone of silence. There can be a significant null field as you approach the near field area, and it isn't pretty.

You can also stack them and run it as a point source, and crank the snoot outta them. Minimizes nulls, uniform sound field, etc. For a marching band, this may be the better bet.

If you set up a summed center channel, you can easily run a 45 foot spread and really have some fun. I've done some parties with 10K people with three Scalas, Crowns, and a field like yours. It sounded great.

I'd do a demo beforehand to see what you like best, and consider putting the Scalas up on sturdy folding tables if you aren't getting enough projection. I always thought the Scalas were a little beamy and tried to get the sweet spot about 30-50 feet out from the stage when possible.

Dave, is that Liam? Good lookin' young man (from what I can see). Looks like he and the Mrs. are watching LaRusa's boys give it to some unsuspecting team, dressed in Cardinal red. You got a larger image?

Thanks for everything, my friend.

• Moderators

That is a very nice piece of land and it's in TN, what more could ask for.

I only heard Michael's Lascalas and i can they will sound great outside. My living room is 24' wide and 18' deep open another 16' so really 24' x 34' and the Lascalas could fill many many rooms this size with ease.

It would be a great thing to do for your dad, but after you hear what they sound like outside you may want to do it for yourself .

Just put a lounge chair out in the yard for you and your wife and sit back for a few hours and listen.

It would be a great thing to do for your dad, but after you hear what they sound like outside you may want to do it for yourself .

Just put a lounge chair out in the yard for you and your wife and sit back for a few hours and listen.

I confess to doing this to a small degree (which is what started the idea on bigger scale).

I've simply cranked them up as they sit in the basement, inside the house and as I've taken the dogs for a walk in the field I've just stood there with amazement on how great it sounds that far away (out by the grape vines). It sounds that great that far away with the LaScalas (or Khorns on upper level) singing behind closed doors/windows and not even pointing towards me. Tells me they would HAVE to sound even better if I were to at a minimum, open a window, much less, point them directly at me.

Yes...I think this is going to be on my "to do" list and see what happens. Worst case scenario? I work up a mild sweat moving them honkers around and don't like it.

It's a great gift and do it. What's so great about it ? It's the thought and effort you have put into creating a unique gift that only you can give him. No matter how it sounds, he will love reciecving it and you will love giving it. Memories that will last for the rest of your lives will be created.

march on and let us know how it all works out

Larry