TRADE LA SCALA'S FOR CHERRY RF-7'S

lett

THEY SOUND AMAZING WHEN I TURN THEM UP BUT I CANT FIND A SWEET SPOT AT COVERSATIONAL LEVEL IM USING AN OUTBOARD DENON POA 2800 AMP IVE JUST ORDERD ANOTHER PRE TO TRY TO HELP I LOVE THE LOOKS EVERTHING. JUST CANT GET SWEET SPOT AT LOW VOLUMES. I KNOW ITS CRAZY.... SCUSE ME WHILE I KISS THE SKY....

I don't think I've read of this problem before. How can it be that they sound great loud, but not low? Isn't this your amps fault? I have the opposite problem. Can't turn my khorns up loud. Can't fix

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

greg thanks for info. i noticed you'r logo "got tubes then its all good"

i beleive dean is going to be able to help my la scala's. he mentioned a tube preamp is pretty sweet. ive had loads of equipment partly due to my ignorance, and lack of research. for years i went on the 'buy and try system'. once you've heard good sound in you'r home everything else is a big dissapointment. can you recomend a site where i can learn about a tube preamp that would help the la scalas. i cant afford preamp and amp at this time besides that denon has kicked a lot of good namebrands to the curb.thanks kenneth lett

Ken,

I may not be the best person to give a recommendation on a tube preamp.I dont have one in the system because I have a preamp section in my Mark Levinson cd player connected directly to an active x-over then to my tube amps.System volume is controlled at the cd player.

I do know many members here use tube preamps with good results.The Juicy Music pre seems to be favored and built by a forum member who knows and owns Klipsch.I read in many places that the combination of a tube preamp and SS amp is very good.

There are other people on this forum who can steer you in the correct direction like the previous posts.I am sure there will be more.Also Dean should be able to cover some other variables in your system that will improve the sound.

Greg

"I have the opposite problem. Can't turn my khorns up loud. Can't fix."

Anything can be fixed. Did you check for the washers?

Set the gain controls on the Peach (if you are using it) to 12 o'clock. Now, turn it up and define "loud". IOW's, at what point on the volume control does it become uncomfortable?

"I don't think I've read of this problem before. How can it be that they sound great loud, but not low? Isn't this your amps fault?"

I've talked about this quite a bit actually: The relationship between room size, order of filter, and power levels.

meagan, thanks for the input, i dont know what causing the boredon at low

voumes, but i'm using a denon poa 2800 200wpc outboard amp, that i once sold. and had to buy it back because everything i purchased couldn'

touch it. it improved every system i added it to. everone has convinced me not to give up on the la scalas. so i'm breaking down my equipment rack spreading them further apart, also having a riser (8'') custom made. ive heard this improves sound quality. the riser are going to be made to match the dog house so it will look just like part of the speaker only taller. what do you think this will look like? hopefully good. dean has heard of my problem

he said ive got the good horns and crossovers. but he's sending me a upgrade crossover he thinks will solve my problem. he said he experienced the same problem. i beleive with a set of klipsch horns.

what is keeping you from turning yours up? has any one had any ideas?

have you tried raising them? I can turn mine up to deafining levels with almost no distortion. also i had a nad amp that you could turn almost any

speaker up. the louder the better. very different amp sounded killer at loud volumes. but thin a low volumes. hope we both get our stuff wright.... i get dissapointed and want turn mine on, if i cant get the quality i once had.

"I have the opposite problem. Can't turn my khorns up loud. Can't fix."

Anything can be fixed. Did you check for the washers? Not yet, been refinishing all my speakers. OMG - Where has Watco Danish Oil been all my life? Hubby's playing with DEQ. I admit to being somewhat afraid to dismantle this. As well as semi-skeptical as I'm pretty confident the history of these khorns didn't involve anyone messing with them. Nice clean provenance. Is it really just a matter of unscrewing the driver? It'll be ok? I guess the factory screwing up is always a possibility.

Set the gain controls on the Peach (if you are using it) to 12 o'clock. Now, turn it up and define "loud". IOW's, at what point on the volume control does it become uncomfortable?

9 o'clock is ok-ish. Most anything past that and 'things start to happen'.

You know,you really should go get a pair of 7's for an audition.You may

hate em',but you may like em'.That to me is sound advise,unless you

want speakers that make everyone happy,but you.

Has anyone come here to trade their 7's? why?I know I'm not tradin' my cherry 7's.

"9 o'clock is ok-ish. Most anything past that and 'things start to happen'."

With the gain controls on the Peach set to 12 o'clock (half-way)? If so, something is seriously wrong. Now, if they are turned all the way up, then much past 9 o'clock on the main volume control is pretty damn loud, and it wouldn't surprise me to have one find the sound obnoxious, harsh, and incoherent with the K-400.

If you try to unscrew the drivers with the wires still attached to the networks, the wires will wind around the driver as you're turning it. Power everything off, disconnect the mids from the from the networks, and unscrew/remove the K-55's from the horns. You have to do this. No washers mean poor coupling/loading between the driver and horn, and this translates to distortion.

When you get right down to it -- you know nothing about the history of those Klipschorns.

fish that makes sense... no one has offered a trade. but ive also decided

to tweak these la scalas. room placement. risers. crossover upgrades,

to my knowledge no one around here will let you try rf-7's with out buying them. if i had the extra money i still have to many speakers in my house.

(is that possible) did you read the review in hometheater magizine the dude took a tour of the klipsch factory. and audition the new reference line

he said the highlite of his trip was listening to the la scala's. he was amazed. i beleive page 56. if he was so impressed i dont want to give up

on the lascalas. thanks for the suggestions my lascalas are perfect execept at conversanail levels.

Lett - What year are the LaScalas again? I've heard raising them can be a good thing, but my guess it would be a minimal tweak in the grand scheme of things.

I have khorns & LaScalas. My focus is the khorns and Dean's crossovers made a massive leap to the good for me, as well as buying my Jolida tube CD player (love that thing!). My LaScalas (1978 with stock xovers) are in the basement sitting on wooden platforms with wheels. I was down there listening to them yesterday and they sounded horrible compared to my upstairs khorn system with great gear & new xovers. I think it's not so much the individual parts, but the individual parts in concert with each other, all add up eventually to give goodness.

If I were you, I'd try things that won't set you back financially if they still don't work for you in the end. For me, buying good used gear, at good prices, allows me to resell everything someday without losing a dime. I feel safe. I think if you are unsure about keeping them - this is the way to go so you don't take a hit if/when the time comes.

What is your room like that you can crank them and not have them stab your eardrums?

"9 o'clock is ok-ish. Most anything past that and 'things start to happen'."

With the gain controls on the Peach set to 12 o'clock (half-way)? If so, something is seriously wrong. Now, if they are turned all the way up, then much past 9 o'clock on the main volume control is pretty damn loud, and it wouldn't surprise me to have one find the sound obnoxious, harsh, and incoherent with the K-400.

Yes, L&R knobs lines are vertical, straight up to 12 o'clock. Main volume knob at 9 o'clock. This seems to work ok, but past that at say 10 o'clock or 10:15/10:30.... hubby wants it turned down. We like it loud but can't go there. I'm more tolerant of the issues here than hubby (believe it or not). He referrs to it as "ringing". This happened yesterday listening to Sinatra which as you know is pretty minimalistic, tame stuff. Where usually this 'bad stuff' is pegged in the higher frequencies (cymbols, horns, higher voices) - yesterday he complained about Franks voice. Certain parts/notes/whatever got to him (leaps out) and he turned it down. He's more sensitive to all this than me. I can tell when it's happening cuz he gets a frown (he's not a frowner by nature), and I can tell the wheels are starting to spin in his head as to why. We talked to Mike on the phone yesterday trying to get the Behringer to help us. I'm starting to glean it won't help the particular area in question. IDK yet.

If you try to unscrew the drivers with the wires still attached to the networks, the wires will wind around the driver as you're turning it. Power everything off, disconnect the mids from the from the networks, and unscrew/remove the K-55's from the horns. You have to do this. No washers mean poor coupling/loading between the driver and horn, and this translates to distortion. I'll do this within the 1/2 hour.

When you get right down to it -- you know nothing about the history of those Klipschorns. I agree. Who would have thought John Wayne Gacy had a ton of bodies buried in his basement?

Lett - I'm sorry for screwing up your thread. Dean started it! [:P] I'll try to be good.

I agree with Ed on the JM preamp. LaS vs RF7? Out of the frying pan, into the fire. If you choose RF7's, the Dean thing is a must IMHO.

Terry

Terry, there's a guy here on 2 ch who bought HIII's and is unhappy with their 'slam'- would you help by defining the term? You kinda invented it....[:D]

M

meagain,

my la scala's are 1995, i dont know all the techinial names for the drivers

and crossovers. i think k55m and type AA.dean said they were the good stuff. my room is 14x24. i think the 8'' riser will help because it will get them up to the point where they dont come into contact with a loveseat(about 6' away ,it'snot a fullblock)my listing distance is about 13 feet.my system is setup on the 14' wall. room kinda nuetrail carpet, big curtains,

soft loveseat and couch. not to bright or warm. when people say k horns

are the talking about aspecific horn are klipschhorn speakers? not to bright but im learning thankls kenneth lett

I agree with Ed on the JM preamp. LaS vs RF7? Out of the frying pan, into the fire. If you choose RF7's, the Dean thing is a must IMHO.

Terry

Terry, there's a guy here on 2 ch who bought HIII's and is unhappy with their 'slam'- would you help by defining the term? You kinda invented it....[:D]

M

Why Michael I would just love to.[:D]

The slam factor is like "a boot in the chest". [H]

dean. thanks for the info on my la scala, its good to know. i can be reached at 919-776-0482 all this week so if you have questions reguarding my up grades please call at anytime. thanks for all you'r help

and especially sharing you'r knowledge. kenneth lett

LaScala's VS. RF-7, it's all a matter of personal choice for preference, both are fine Klipsch speakers but slightly difference in it's presentation of sound. Some feel the big horns are their best with Jazz and Classical music and some feel the RF-7 is a great all-around for Jazz, Classical, and Rock....etc. Neither choice would be a demotion. It's all in what type of presentation you want. There are differences, yes, but not to a degree of proclaiming a best. I can enjoy both equally, and appreciate both for it's different presentations!