Decision made - SS power and Merlin pre

richieb

I think I have narrowed my upgrade to SS power and a JM Merlin pre. Now

exactly what power I am not yet sure, but I have them narrowed.

Nackamichi P-5 STASIS (Pass/Threshold design) or Forte Model 4a 50WPC

pure Class A. I think either should be a great match with the Merlin.

All will be driving Belles with Corns thrown in on occasion. I feel

this will be great compromise system, quality designed SS for control

and punch and a tube pre for, well for my Belles. Been listening to my

newly acquired Mac 2505 and C-26, not impressed. Going on the block

this weekend.

Rich

Greg:

No. The 2505 was the first generation of solid state Mac amps, and the C-26 was the matching solid state preamp, circa 1967-77.

Richieb:

Good decision. Early ss mac gear has never really done it for me either. Even since I bought a Peach a couple of years ago, my only constant advice has been - throw a JuicyMusic tube pre in front of [insert your amp]. The Merlin + SS amp is a nice combo.

Carl.

I keep hearing about these Juicy Music preamps.I currently use the preamp section in my Levinson CDP with good results imo,one less set of IC's.I wonder what a good tubed pre could do for my system.

I currently have Wavelength Gemini monos and Bryston SS amps in a biamp setup with a Rane active x-over sending signals to LSI bass bins and Altec 511/902's.

I like to think one of the strengths of my system is the simplicity of the signal path and adding another component takes away from that.

Greg

50 watts of class A and a merlin Preamp......Man, I would love to hear that combination on my Rf7's. One day.....one day.[:D]

Congrats.......maybe once you get it set up and have had a chance to listen for a while you could post your thought's on that dreamy combination.

I keep hearing about these Juicy Music preamps.I currently use the preamp section in my Levinson CDP with good results imo,one less set of IC's.I wonder what a good tubed pre could do for my system.

I currently have Wavelength Gemini monos and Bryston SS amps in a biamp setup with a Rane active x-over sending signals to LSI bass bins and Altec 511/902's.

I like to think one of the strengths of my system is the simplicity of the signal path and adding another component takes away from that.

Greg:

I know that some advocate a less is more approach, but there are tangible sonic advantages to using a truly great tube pre that I just have not yet heard from similar quality solid state. I have some point of reference since I have heard some pretty nice ss preamps and own a nice Classe piece. A good tube pre like a juicymusic provides increased layering, wetness, expanded soundstage, and yes, even detail. Plus, many, including myself, believe that going to a tube pre has more of an overall effect on your sound (as opposed to going to a tube amp). This is also coming from a person who has run some pretty nice all solid state, various combinations of tube pre/ solid state amps, all tubes, and is currently using a tube pre and a combo for my mains (tube pre upper and ss lower).

You probably love your current sound - so enjoy it. But, you are right to keep wondering.......

Carl.

Excellent decision! IMHO, that's the way to go. Have you thought of the diminutive Monarchy amp? SM-70 pro, might be best. Aragon or Krell would be very good, as well. I always wanted to try a vintage or somewhat vintage Threshold.

BS

Yep. Merlin and SS. Works for me.[:D]

Terry