Music vs HT

Chipp4

btw, theears, wasn't trying to attack you in any way.

I haven't had the opportunity (yet) to compare amps, so I don't know which is true. scientific evidence seems to be slanted towards the "all well-designed and powerful enough amps sound the same" side, but in those cases I like to let my ears decide...

too bad your listening room is off-limits, i would have gladly let you persuade me using an A/B comparison using your gear... room full of subs... mmmmmmm...

i just wanted to express my opinions, that's all. I think most people wouldn't WANT exact reproduction of the input signal, and even if that were the case, I doubt that in most cases there is no coloration from the artist's performance on the record itself. music and ht is supposed to be fun and exciting, and a speaker that blandly reproduces what's on the record will always lose in my book compared to an "emotional" speaker that colors the sound but picks you up, throws you around, and slaps you down with a grin on your face. guess i'm not an audiophile, oh no! the audiophile association's thought police is going to get me! no matter, i'm standing greater chances being caught by the language police writing text in English in Quebec... but I don't want to start anything on this.

cwm35.gif

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oups forgot room acoustics,room acoustics play a major role in sound quality and COLORATION or to some degree the lack of it.

If you get a Wilson Grand SLAMM in a small room with bad acoustics and place the speakers against the wall you will end up with a mess.And then take some Klipsch Horns in a large room with great acoustics,I take the larger room with K-Horns any day.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

no, but the The Audio Source Amp One/A is said to sound exactly the same ($ensible Sound, Nov/Dec 01, #88) for 1/2 the price as the very well regarded Bryston 3B-ST. The 3B-ST is a "can't miss" amp. It is known to deliver AMAZING bass and have a nice midrange with excellent transparency.

Yet, the $300 amp performs exactly the same as the Bryston - line level comparisons could find no difference between the two. They "sounded identical to each other."

The key is identical line level comparsions with a blind test group. Results are also within clipping range. Outside of the clipping range, amps begin to sound different. The problem, though, is that all amps clip at some point. Also, the tests I have seen, a hnadful of golden ear audiophiles, who had long exposure previously to the amps in question, could indeed discern the differences!

• 2 weeks later...

in this whole discussion about how the high end "esoteric" amps sound so much better than the samson, crown, etc amps, one fact that seems to have been forgotten by everyone is that 95% of the recordings that you listen to on your megabuck amplifiers were originally mastered in the studio with engineers using "studio" amplifiers like samson, alesis, crown, hafler, and others.

interesting thought......

This message has been edited by minn_male42 on 01-20-2002 at 07:19 PM

I'm a little slow to this thread, sorry.

I'll look into what Colin recommends(Thanks BTW), but

to much Theears apall, I will probably

get a Samson amp.

I could get a Carver or something used on

a auction site, but Caveat Emptor.

(No warranties for one, what conditions, it's also

the amp that comes with the dual 16/46 package, etc...)

I don't want to end up with another amp with

dried out capacitors and transitors drifting

way above tolerance.

I will compare this amp to the one Colin

suggested, spec wise, maybe white pages?

Maybe it's a better design than a Samson,

I'll research.

Sorry Ears, but I don't have much cash, and

I NEED a sub amp for the 16/46's.

The Samson should be fine for this application.

(For me, anyway.)

Like you said, why waste a great thing like

a Pass amp on subwoofers.

If I hate it, then I'll upgrade.

THANX!

mike,

just a recommendation if you are looking at samson amplifiers....the entire servo line is fanless and has some impressive specs...i have a servo-550 that i am using for my rear channels and i am very happy with it....for a sub it will bridge to 550 watts into 8 ohms....happy shopping..!!!

here is the link for the specs on the servo-550

http://www.samsontech.com/audio/servo550.html

This message has been edited by minn_male42 on 01-20-2002 at 09:02 PM

You start routing around, there is

some good deals on the net for various

pro sound stuff, I guess.

The one that caught my eye was a Crown CE1000a

for $400.

A Samson F-800 for $299.

A Samson S1000 for $400.

Samson 700 for $340.

I can't see how a Audio Source Amp one/A

could compare with Bryston 3B-T.

From comparing the two from pics, you wouldn't

think so.

The Audio Source is only 200 watts bridged,

not enough juice for a pair of 16/46's.

That would be one listening test I would like

to participate in.

(The Audio Source compared to the Bryston.)

The Audio Source looks cheap, visually.)

Yeah, these are pretty mediocre amps, but one of

these should do the job for my sub standard needs.

THANX!

Ive been looking for a few months for an amp for my SVS, then finally I scored!

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1501559622

Good things come to those who wait

Regards Monty

ps this topic was the most informational ive read since ive been here in almost a year

thanks guys!!s>

This message has been edited by montigue on 01-21-2002 at 07:30 AM

A S1000 with one 20/39?

Monty, your gonna pound that poor tube,

especially if you bridge that amp.

(You will have tons of headroom, though.)

Another 20/39?

I would love to hear that S1000 on my 16/46's.

Currently, they are collecting dust.

BTW, What are using in the way of interconnects?

THANX!

I decided to get the S1000 for two reasons. One I got this refurbashed one at a good price. Most of you know that this amp sells for more than $400. Second I thought it would be good to have for future upgrades. SVS has already came out with a step up from the 20-39's. If I decide to sell this sub and buy an ultra, Im already packin heat!cwm32.gif

No, I will not bridge any amp. Its like a truck pulling two trailers. (not a good thing) I'm not bank rollin like most of you high rollers in here, I need this amp to last. (My wife is ready to do a Lerana Bobbit on me as it is).

As far as interconnects, what do you mean the rca cables feeding the sub amp? Im using cheap ones now but I'll take suggestions.

Regards Monty R

This message has been edited by montigue on 01-21-2002 at 06:01 PM

Sounds good!

The Samson pro sound amps do not have RCA plugs.

I was curious to what you were going to use

in the way of a interconnect that converts

from RCA to the plugs that are on the S1000.

They look like some sort 3 or 4 pin DIN type.

(I think they are balanced.)

Happy Poundage!

ya mike. that's what i was saying. just trying to also be clever in that the samson are 2 channel, not to be bridged, & come as the amp to be used w/ only 1 tube. of course 1 could always get a 2nd tube...sorry, i was just trying to be a bit of a smart a** cwm4.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

This message has been edited by boa12 on 01-21-2002 at 08:34 PM