2 Way Ebay Heresy ?

76scalas

I'm just guessing, but could these be some early experiment prior to the H700? The large bobbin style choke coil is similar to that found in my 63 Vertical CW's. The woofer could very well be a EV manufacture, they use baskets similar to that cast design today.

At the Klispch museum there were three different early Heresy cabinets with 8, 10, and 12 inch woofers, it wouldn't suprise me if they experimented with a two way design at one time.

I zoomed into some of the pix in photoshop and could not make out any model numbers or serial numbers anywhere.

Wish Andy were here.

Michael

I saw those yesterday too. I remember seeing a pair like this on eBay a while back that came out of an old movie theater. Unusual that they do not have serial numbers hammer stamped into the rear edge of the top cabinet panel. I emailed the seller yesterday and have not heard back yet.

Interesting...

These aren't the same as the ones built for surround use in theaters. They were just standard theater black Heresys without the tweeter and with the appropriate network modifications.

Woofer is indeed an EV SP12B variant as would be appropriate for the early 60s.

Don't think the squawker is EV, maybe Jensen or another make.

Could be something someone cobbled together themselves. Klipsch sold components at one time. Squawker may not even be from Klipsch, although seller says it is a K66, which I have never heard of. But that doesn't mean there wasn't one. Lack of a serial number may also be an indication. OTOH color coded zip cord to squawker is as would be expected.

Cabinet is right. Looks like the only difference from a early Heresy cabinet is the motor board. It is big enough to fit a K700 horn and K77 tweeter on.

Signature of Portus Gilley looks authentic and is appropriate for the timeframe.

Don't know if Andy would know any more. I think this was from well before he worked there.

All in all, I would say that this is just another of the many variants that Klipsch made over the years trying to find the right product for the market.

There have been some two way Heresy type cabs on Ebay before which some forum members said were surround speakers for cinema duty.

Don't know if these are among those or not. Perhaps they are PA speakers. The speakers said to be two way cinema "almost Heresy's" had a midhorn placed in the same motorboard location as a modern Heresy, so it would be possible to cut out and install a K77 to move toward a Heresy type speaker.

This is something earlier than what two ways on ebay I've seen before.

regarding serial numbers, i have an early model H 3 way with the K-1000 midrange with no serial numbers stamped in the wood.

a pair of 63's just sold on ebay and the pictures of the back have no serial numbers stamped either as far as i can see.

This is a legitimate pair of very early two way Heresy's I was going to guess earlier than 1962 but they have the pie slice logos which Klipsch started using in 1963. If they were older they would have the clear rectangular badge at the bottom center of the front motorboard. The midrange driver looks like the same one used on the very early Klipschorn's with the K-5-J horn.

The woofer and network are correct for this really early vintage. The horn at first look seems larger than the K-700, I got my eye on these. They look to nice to have been used in a theater environment.

Frzn, you are right. These are an early two way Heresy that were built sans tweeter. The parts jibe with a couple of the purpose built two ways I have seen. There are also two ways that were built with the three way crossover installed, and the opening either blanked off, or not milled out.

With everything in the factory being hand cut and assembled, sometimes what run the speakers were built in would dictate how they were built, with the available speaker guts being pulled from the generic speaker parts crib.

They would look quite striking as reinforcements for your heritage HT.

Wasn't referring to serial numbers stamped in the wood, but the lack of serial numbers on the labels. Could have faded, I guess. But does not seem so.

Squawker, or should I say tweeter, driver doesn't appear to be similar to the University SA-HF or MA-25 squawker drivers used by Klipsch in the 50s, nor to the 4401 tweeter. I think this is a completely different beast.

Gentlemen,

I just bought a set of Heresy's from the seller or these speakers. Great guy to work with. I saw these while purchasing the Heresy's and they look to be in fine condition.

If I can help in anyway let me know.

Roy (RJL)