For sale: Bob Crites new tweeters

New, never even tried!

I'm just to lazy to install these.

Beside, something tells me that the output will be a bit on the high side compared to the rest of my rather old Alnico magnets in my 1968 Cornwall II.

Yet another compulsive buy for me...

$130 USD including shipping anywhere in USA or Canada. Payment through Paypal only.

I realize it would take a little more time to install in the Cornwall, but it only took me ten minutes to swap mine in the LS. The preamp tubes barely cooled down.

I think you should have tried them, but someone gets a good deal.

Bruce

Not a very efficient transaction, IMHO. Next time, have Bob email you details on his newest customer, then simply send $20 via Paypal. No packing, shipping, etc.

Jeff did the right thing. The Crites tweeter doesn't mesh too well with old alnico woofers and midrange drivers in vintage Cornwalls. I suffered for three whole days before yanking mine out and selling them.

It was a concern for me before I bought them. But I said to myself "what the heck... for 150 why not give it a try"

Then I read your post reporting your experience. Since swapping tubes or swapping interconnects is a PITA for me, I said to myself "life is too short...".

Since it is time to purchase "bike no. 2", this means getting rid of some of the audio surplus piled in my garage.

Well heck, I bought them for my '73 corns which of course have alnico everything. Just my luck.

I also have 2 pairs of heresys I could use them in if the corns don't work out.

Basically, I put them in my 3 LaScalas (L/C/R) and there has been no turning back.

I figured they would sound great in the old corns. But now I read that I may find out something else.

Oh well, I'll put them to good use one way or the other.

Fini, I may be a little slow this morning, but I don't get your post.

Edit: Nevermind Fini. I figured it out[:)]

I think you will find them to sound glorious in the Corns.

Jeff, I think you made a mistake by not taking the time to load them. They actually have a slightly reduced sensitivity, and fall between the old Alnico version and K-77-M in that regard. It is a much cleaner sounding the driver, and the extended bandwidth makes the treble so much more engaging. You might want to revisit this in the future when you have more time and energy.

I figured they would sound great in the old corns. But now I read that I may find out something else.

They may sound great to you, with your total system, in your listening room, with your music. There's no audio subject or piece of equipment that you can't find someone praising or trashing. Even if you find a general consensus on something, if you disagree with the finding, it would be folly to go against your own ears.

Well, you all know how I feel.

Mark - If you like them in your Lascalas, I'm guessing you might just like them in your Corns too. I don't know why but some folks seem to.

I'm with you Mr. Reality. Taking the backs off of old cornwalls, removing the old tweeters, installing the new tweeters, putting the backs back on then doing it all over again in reverse after deciding the old tweeters sounded better is just too much work for lazy folks like you and me. I did it with crossovers 3 times, installing Deans Super Bs, going back to the original Bs after a couple weeks of listening then, after realizing Dean's sounded much better so I had to swap for a third time. About 30 minutes of hard labor. I get tired just thinking about all those screws.[|-)]

They may sound great to you, with your total system, in your listening room, with your music. There's no audio subject or piece of equipment that you can't find someone praising or trashing. Even if you find a general consensus on something, if you disagree with the finding, it would be folly to go against your own ears.

Well put Paul! I try to use "folly" as often as possible, particularly when discussing audio. Nicely done.

Jeff, I think you made a mistake by not taking the time to load them.

Never underestimate the extent of my lazyness...

Actually, I spent some time listening to my CW with my Eico HF-81, I decided not to bother. My listening time is less and less, while being splitted on two radically different systems. The CW/Eico combo in the current form does what it has to do perfectly. And there is way to many screws on the back of a CW...

I listened to my EICO HF-81 with my Klipschorns (yum) and now with my Heresys (sweet)...I kind of know how you feel...I have the BEC crossovers and am enjoying them...still wondering about changing the tweets...mine are fine so that has been the main stall for not buying them yet...well, that and I have bought SO much other stuff lately...[;)]...it's a madhouse...a MADHOUSE!...Bill

Jeff, I think you made a mistake by not taking the time to load them.

And there is way to many screws on the back of a CW...

Isn't that what electric screwdrivers are for? Almost painless. Maybe even a "painless reality."

Bruce

Every time I see this thread title pop up it says:

For Sale: Bob Crites...

and I think to myself 'Bob's a pretty good guy, why would someone want to sell him?"

M

Yeah especially when you consider Bob's family would probably snipe the bid at the last second.....[;)]<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />