Where were you?

CECAA850

In 78 I had a paper route and these harley hippie dudes approached me

and ask me to deliver to their house. I blew them off and forgot about

them. Then a week or two later I seen them again they were like "Hey

why didn't you start delivering to us"! Anyways they invite me in and

they had a pair of heresys they were like here smoke some of this lol.

Anyways I'd stop over there all of the time after that. Then they

upgraded to cornwalls. I always knew I'd get some klipsch someday.

I believe it was 1999 & I had brought the DVD Metallica "Cunning Stunts" into a local shop here in Grand Rapids and wanted to audition some speakers. I wasn't really into B&W so I was looking at the Klipsch line. I think I first chose something smaller in the early reference line, then the sales guy toggled over to the Legends he had sitting there also... He had the KLF-10, 20, and 30's I believe.

My selected track was Jason Newstead's bass solo... as the guy was toggling between the speakers he increased the volume and then clicked on the KLF-30's! They were so loud & clear.. I believe the salesman's exact words were "might as well be there" referring to how clean & great they sounded. Welp, right then I thought to myslef.. those are for me [:D]

I then returned home & did some research on the internet, found this forum & joined. I believe back then I was under the name "Imthman" (old Anthrax tune). I did a dealer search & found another shop not too far away and he then gave me a deal I couldn't refuse.

I must say, I have been happy ever since, and every person that I show them to, leaves here quite impressed [;)]

It was about an hour after I picked up my brand new pair of Cornwalls in July 1980. They were so beautiful that I bought them without auditioning them first. I'd never even heard of Klipsch before. Let's just say I was pleasantly suprised when I got them home and listened for the first time.[:D]

It was 1978 at the Hi-Fi Stereo House in Newington, CT. My dad and I was milling around looking for new B.I.C. America Venturi model bookshelf loudspeakers when we came across a showroom that had a pair of Klipschorns driven by a used McIntosh MC275 power amp.

My dad continued on while I stopped and stared at this magical combination...these big, beautiful walnut horns I've never heard of before and this hot black 'n' chrome tube amp I've only seen in magazines, with a Mac pre (?) and a Nakamichi 680ZX cassette deck playing some soft jazz IIRC...wow! I've never heard a system sound like that before; I was immediately impressed how clear and lifelike the music was. The bass was tight and low, the cymbals shimmered, and the sax just floated out in space! What impresses me now was how the Khorns were NOT placed in any corners, but just alongside the long wall in that particular showroom facing straight ahead...I had no clue these loudspeakers were designed to be placed in the corners. I just stood there in awe...

My dad called for me as he found a second pair of B.I.C.s that matched the pair he already had at home (to be used as a remote pair with his new Sansui G-6000 (?) receiver), so I relunctantly walked away from my latest discovery of what a true high-end stereo system should be, and helped my dad load his new B.I.C.s into his car. Even though my dad didn't act like he was interested in my discovery of a new horn speaker by a company called Klipsch, he actually auditioned the Khorns before during his initial visit to the Hi-Fi Stereo House months before...the Khorns were out of his price range at the time, but he had auditioned the Cornwalls back then and loved what he heard.

But it would be a year later in '79 when he went back to the Hi-Fi Stereo House and traded in both pairs of B.I.C.s for a brand new pair of C-BR Cornwalls. Let me tell you, it was like Christmas in June when my dad brought those Cornwalls home, and I relived my first experiences with the Khorns all over again as we listened to an E. Power Biggs pipe organ LP through those raw birch Cornwalls!

The rest, as they say, is history...[;)]

Ah yes Custom Audio in North Little Rock. That is where is 1st heard Khorn's and Mac gear, It is a wonder we did not get asked to leave the store on several occasions. Boston at unreal volume's with the Mac gear, the sales guys would leave us alone and go to the back of the store.

Over the last 2 years I would leave school and drive down JFK going to work everday. I would have to look at the old store front to see if by some chance they had moved back. Man I miss that store. Bill

I was in a local audio store looking at the KG line of speakers and the salesman was not to anxious to sell me a pair because they were more suited to outdoor and very loud music. That was after I told him I listened to music generally with the volume on the soft side.

I still wound up with the 4.2's.......

In Nashville TN in 1976. I was there on a visit from NC, and while

killing some time in the West End area, walked into an audio store (any

Nashvillians remember that store?). They were playing Return To

Forever's "Romantic Warrior" LP, title track, on a pair of

Klipschorns. I had that album myself, and boy did it sound better

than it did at home. I knew something was special about Klipsch, and

"held that thought" until 1989, when I bought my first pair of Fortes.

Wow hard one..... I grew up in Little Rock, AR Klipsch was everywhere. If there was an outdoor shindig Klipsch.....Church Klipsch.... I of course heard Klipsch at Custom Audio but I didn't fully appreciate them until I got to do extended listening with my buddys Heresy and later La Scalas. I always wanted KHorns but loved the looks of Belles and I finally got them...... Now I want a piar of KHorns as well.

I'm sure there are speakers out there I could like just as well but there is so much nostalgia connected to Klipsch for me and the folded bass horns are wicked!

My first time hearing Klipsch was at a pawn shop in Florida in 2000 or 2001. I saw these little blond speakers, and they had some receiver connected. I turned it on and realised both tweeters for blown. They were asking $225 I think for them, but I couldn't afford to spend money on a speaker that would still need work.

I was glad I held out, because a few weeks later, in another pawn shop I found a set of Cornwalls for $225. They were in the back, standing right next to each other. I had just starting researching Klipsch after seeing the Heresys, and all I knew about the Cornwall was that it was a 3 way speaker similar to the K-horn/La Scala, but with direct radiator woofer. They were in rough shape, with machine screws holding the grilles on, so I couldn't take a peek to see what lay behind. I hooked up an Onkyo receiver and some cheap cd player and popped in Annie Lennox's Medusa CD, and was amazed at the sound of her voice. That was it, I was sold!

I still have them, and they remain the only Klipsch speakers I own.

-Jon