Does ANYONE prefer surrounds to bookshelf...

SilverSport

...for Home Theater only???...I am not too interested in multichannel music and have great 2 channel sounds comin' from the VRDs, BB and K'Horn combo or the EICO HF-81 Heresy combo...so...does anyone actually LIKE the sound dispersing sounds FOR MOVIES PRIMARILY or do you prefer bookshelves in the rear???...Bill

I use RS-7's on the sides and bookshelves (RB-35's) in the rear. I enjoy the way the RS's work for surround duties. They excell in movies during scenes with crowd noises, rain, battles, etc. If I was into multichannel music, I would go a different route.

I use bookshelf and tower speakers as sourrounds,I never used "sourround" speakers designed for sourround duty at home.

With on wall sourround dipoles you may have better respults if you want ease of placement and lack place to position rear/side sourrounds.Honestly I never owned any dipoles.

Thank you for the responses so far...I guess the reason I am asking is...for Home Theater use only, would I be better off going the "All Heresy" or at least Heresys Main and Back in 5.1 or continue with the Heresy Mains, super Academy center and KSF-S5 rear surrounds?...as I say, for 2 channel music I would use another system and I can move the Heresys around (I have 4) but these would be difficlut to "wall mount"...to add a new twist to the mix...I have a line on a set of Quartets...would these "blend" better as Mains with my Academy and take the Heresys out of the mix...hmmmmmmmmmmm...wonder, wonder, wonder...Bill

I use RS-7's on the sides and bookshelves (RB-35's) in the rear. I enjoy the way the RS's work for surround duties. They excell in movies during scenes with crowd noises, rain, battles, etc. If I was into multichannel music, I would go a different route.

Pretty well said,I tried rb5s w/7s up front,great for multi ch music,but I prefer rs7s for HT.I had some rf5s on surr for a while,even better multi ch music but I still prefered rs7s for movies.I now have a multi ch music room w/5's on surr and they work great.For HT they work good,but not as"surrounding".

Depends on the room. I've always said that if the side walls are pretty close, go the dipole or WDST approach. If your back wall is very close to seating position, you can take bookshelf speakers, place them next to chairs, aimed at side walls, to reflect back at you.

I have heard one installation with RS7's on the floor behind the sofa pointing straight up, so the sound bounces off the ceiling and envelopes you . Pretty neat approach.

M

I prefer the WDST speakers, because they are easier for placement, just a couple screws in the wall, and they look nicer. I also think they work better in my room. I experimented with Bookshelf speakers for a short time, but went back to my RS-3s.

Here's another theory to consider.

When all we had was Dolby surround in 4 channels, both rear speakers were the same signal, so we just sprayed diffuse sound all around.

Nowdays we can have up to 3 distinct rear channels (7.1 the two center rears are the same, right?), so more directionality might be called for. I'd only use the WDST if the side walls were fairly close so that bookshelf designs either wouldn't fit or would be too glarinly obvious sonically.

...did I say that???...[*-)][8-)]...Bill

No, and I didn't say that you did.[:|]

As has already been pointed out, for surround EFFECTS, monopoles localize sound whereas WDST disperse the sound over a broader area and give less apparent localization.

Imagine this. Given a pair of monopoles and a pair of WDST's with identical drivers, the monopoles will give more apparent presence than the WDST's. So people think, WOW, these monopoles are 'better'. Reason for the apparent difference is the dispersion of output by the WDST's.

Some people even suggest putting monopoles on the floor, behind a couch say, and pointing them up. Or turning the speakers away from the seating position to reflect the output from a wall. Both being an exercise in diffusing the sound, or making it less localizable.

Keith

IMO, if you sit with your surrounds on each side of your listening position, Bookshelf (or as stated--towers being preferable in an over-kill situation [H]) speakers work best. If you have multiple listening positions for movies (or music) then the WDST speakers work great.

In our bedroom we have RS-3's for side surrounds that hang close to the corners, parallel to our heads when we are laying down (2 ft down from ceiling). Bedtime movies sound way to realistic for comfort sometimes--not that it's a bad thing.[;)]

When we are up and about at the foot of the bed, High-Rez music emanates extremely clear from the WDST speakers and blend well with my RB-75's and RC-7.[:)]

This is a question; Wouldn't surround speakers work best in a Pro-Logic set-up, and bookshelf would be better suited to true 5.1? Considering rear channel in Pro-Logic is not really stereo, and 5.1 is ?

That's exactly my point from my previous post. Seems that as we get more and more discreet channels, more directionality is called for in the surround positions. Because in stead of a surround effect coming from 'somewhere back there', we need to know 'precisely where in the sound field it originates'

Makes sense to me, and I'm seeing this type of bookshelf implementation more and more and our rooms and number of speakers increase.

M

DO you want it to sound like movie theater?

then use WDST...as they best represent the sound from multiple side surrounds and rear surrounds..

Movie theaters have several side speakers playing the sam sound but do to distance differences the sound is not direct but sounds spread out...

Also most surround sound is effects... and meant to add to the movie not distract you from the screen....

I prefer WDST for surrounds...but that is me...and I be different...hehehe

ygmn...still got that Avalanche??? sometimes wish I still had mine...yep, it will be the WDSTs for my (KSF-S5s) 'cuz mine is 99% for movies...I will let the other 2 channel duty rest with the VRDs, Eico (Tubes) and Nakamichi, McIntosh and McIntosh (SS) this place has been a godsend (knowledge wise) and a bane (cash wise...[:P] [;)] )...thanks for all the responses...Bill

• Moderators

When i had the WDSTs for rears it did seem to fill the back of the room more, but like the other opinion it had no direction. For effects like rain or general backround sounds it sounded more real, but for everything else i like the direct sound.