What movie was this phrase in? - Like lyric contest, no internet peeking

m00n

[Ok, so I've been asleep at the switch again......the real clue would have been "...and they even used BonAmi..." Could it be the late Don Knotts from the "Ghost and Mr. Chicken"?]

Indeed! TGAMC is arguably Don Knotts's best movie, and certainly my favorite. All lines occur at the community picnic in honor of Luther Beggs (Knotts), after his overnight stay in the haunted house. He is chatting up Alma, the wholesome hottie, and expresses surprise at the coincidence that both she and his mother "liked good food." Later he begins his "brave" speech, with extreme visible nervousness (Trivia: he created the nervous man as a recurring character in Steve Allen's Tonight Show "man in the street interview" sketches in the 1950s). The "Attaboy Luther" line also appeared in other scenes and even other movies. (More trivia: wholesome Alma is played by Joan Staley, who was the November 1958 Playboy centerfold).

Amy, I can't believe you have not ever heard of this movie. Were you thinking of another one?

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"Ah, Bellamy, for cryin' out loud. That's the the stinking, most awful,

stupid joke and you're always pullin' that stinking awful stupid joke.

You don't want in this thing, you don't get in this thing. I cut you in

on everything. I don't need you. Sixty feet of bridge I can get almost

anywhere. Schmuck!"

Everybody just ignoring this one, huh? Oh well.

That must be City Slickers (can't say whether 1 or 2).

One it is!

I must admit, I cheated and looked up yours online because it was driving me crazy. I won't say in case others might know, but I was glad to see I'd never even heard of the movie (and it wasn't just a failing memory!)... Looks like a good one, though!

"Darling...light of my life...I'm not gonna hurt ya. You didn't let me finish my sentence. I said I'm not gonna hurt ya. I'm just gonna bash your brains in."

That would be "The Shining"

How about

"Her insides were a rocky place where my seed could find no purchase"

[How about

"Her insides were a rocky place where my seed could find no purchase"]

I can't place it, but it is very familiar. Can you give me a hint? Was the line actually spoken, or was it the speaker's thoughts being heard? I somehow think the latter.

[How about

"Her insides were a rocky place where my seed could find no purchase"]

I can't place it, but it is very familiar. Can you give me a hint? Was the line actually spoken, or was it the speaker's thoughts being heard? I somehow think the latter.

Richard , think about one of the most classic comedies of our time , maybe ever . And the line was the speakers thoughts .

Raising Arizona

A really great back and forth scene here...So what is the movie?

Aw, man. You made friends with them. See, friendship is the booze they feed you. They want you to get drunk on feeling like you belong.

Well, it was fun.

They make you feel cool. And hey. I met you. You are not cool.

I know. Even when I thought I was, I knew I wasn't.

That's because we're uncool. And while women will always be a problem for us, most of the great art in the world is about that very same problem. Good-looking people don't have any spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter.

I can really see that now.

Yeah, great art is about conflict and pain and guilt and longing and love disguised as sex, and sex disguised as love... and let's face it, you got a big head start.

I'm glad you were home.

I'm always home. I'm uncool.

Me too!

The only true currency in this bankrupt world if what we share with someone else when we're uncool.

• Moderators

Raising Arizona

A really great back and forth scene here...So what is the movie?

Aw, man. You made friends with them. See, friendship is the booze they feed you. They want you to get drunk on feeling like you belong.

Well, it was fun.

They make you feel cool. And hey. I met you. You are not cool.

I know. Even when I thought I was, I knew I wasn't.

That's because we're uncool. And while women will always be a problem for us, most of the great art in the world is about that very same problem. Good-looking people don't have any spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter.

I can really see that now.

Yeah, great art is about conflict and pain and guilt and longing and love disguised as sex, and sex disguised as love... and let's face it, you got a big head start.

I'm glad you were home.

I'm always home. I'm uncool.

Me too!

The only true currency in this bankrupt world if what we share with someone else when we're uncool.

Almost Famous?

• Moderators

Almost Famous?

Correct, You go girl!

Don't you just love PSH playing Lester Bangs in that movie?

Oh yeah, he was great (isn't he always!)... I love that movie..

Here's one:

[After totalling a car]

Relax all right? My old man is a television repairman...he's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it.

Here's one:

[After totalling a car]

Relax all right? My old man is a television repairman...he's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it.

Fast Times @ R.M. High - Way to go Cameron Crow

What came first, the music or the misery? People worry about kids playing with guns, or watching violent videos, that some sort of culture of violence will take them over. Nobody worries about kids listening to thousands, literally thousands of songs about heartbreak, rejection, pain, misery and loss. Did I listen to pop music because I was miserable? Or was I miserable because I listened to pop music?

Another line and a hint:

Get your patchouli stink outta my store.

"My Store" refers to the main characters record store.

RichardP, I had to cheat on yours. I knew I had heard it and it was bugging me. Good movie!

Here's one:

[After totalling a car]

Fast Times @ R.M. High - Way to go Cameron Crow

What came first, the music or the misery? People worry about kids playing with guns, or watching violent videos, that some sort of culture of violence will take them over. Nobody worries about kids listening to thousands, literally thousands of songs about heartbreak, rejection, pain, misery and loss. Did I listen to pop music because I was miserable? Or was I miserable because I listened to pop music?

High Fidelity - great flick

• Moderators

Ah yes, I kept visualizing John Cusak...one of my all time favorite "line-deliverer" (is that a term?)....as in this line:

"I don't want to sell anything, buy anything or process anything as a career. I don't want to sell anything bought or processed, buy anything sold or processed, or process anything sold, bought, or processed, and I don't want to repair anything sold, bought or processed. You know, as a career I don't want to do that."

Ah yes, I kept visualizing John Cusak...one of my all time favorite "line-deliverer" (is that a term?)....as in this line:

"I don't want to sell anything, buy anything or process anything as a career. I don't want to sell anything bought or processed, buy anything sold or processed, or process anything sold, bought, or processed, and I don't want to repair anything sold, bought or processed. You know, as a career I don't want to do that."

line-deliverer, I like that will have to use it.

Say Anything was the movie. I love this part

Lloyd Dobler: I got a question. If you guys know so much about women, how come you're here at like the Gas 'n' Sip on a Saturday night completely alone drinking beers with no women anywhere?

Joe: By choice, man.

• Moderators

"You medieval dic_weed!"

That has to be Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure, no?

More Cusack - This went over big when I lived in the Motor City

This your Beamer?

Yeah.

In Detroit? That's sacrilege!

Gotta be Grosse Point Blank.