Members Weekly Music Recommendation-July 3

thebes

Well Happy Birthday America! and hearty round of applause for our latest winner, drum roll please: Meagain!

I've decided to give the each winner the choice of the prize they'd

like to receive so Megain you can select from a tie-tack, Klipsch BS

Button, or Klipsch peel-off logo sticker. Since I don't have a

lot of this stuff you can choose only one. PM or email me with you choice and mailing address.

(Well since you're a girl, and all, and since I'm kinda of doormat when it comes to women you can choose two, but that's all!)

Format's simple: Name of artist or group, name of album, type of

music as best you can (rock, blues etc.), and recording format (cd, lp

etc.)

As usual I'll start it off with:

"Anthology of the Banjo, lp, folk/blues/oldtimey

Not sure if this is available in any other format. It was a

sealed lp I had lying around and on a lark I cracked it open and gave

it a whirl. Now sitting around and listening to banjo music is

not normally my idea of fun, but I was shocked at how good this

was. Features Joe Maphis, Erik Darling, Mason Williams, Billy

Cheatwood, David Lindley, Jim McQuinn and Mike Seeger.

The tunes are mostly uptempo with fabulous playing and superb recording values. Highly recommended.

So what do you have to share this week?

Let me reword

Dashboard Confessionals - Dusk And Summer, considered "alternative" now, earlier cds they were considered rock/emo, format is cd doubt lp are around.

Well this time I have to say stay away..... Not one hit like their other cds like "A Mark, A Mission, A Brand, A Scare", or "The Place You Have Come to Fear The Most", or "The Swiss Army Romance". Not one hit song like "Screaming Infidelities", "Hands Down", "Bend And Not Break", "The Swiss Army Romance", etc not one good song in the cd. It does not even have the familiar Dashboard sound or ability to rock out, its too much emo (emotional rock for the people who do not know) which is boring, drab, made for 16 year old girls now..... They had better songs and now they are going downhill...... Stay away as it was only last week they released it and it was supposed to be their best cd.

Dashboard Confessionals - Dusk And Summer, considered "alternative" before cds they were rock/emo, cd doubt lp are around.

Well this time I have to say stay away..... Not one hit like their other cds like A Mark, A Mission, A Brand, A Scare, or The Place You Have Come to Fear The Most, or The Swiss Army Romance. Not one hit like Screaming Infidelities, Hands Down, Bend And Not Break, The Swiss Army Romance, etc not one good song in the cd. It does not even have the familiar Dashboard sound or ability to rock out, its too much emo (emotional for the people who do not know) which is boring, drab, made for 16 year old girls now..... They had better songs and now they are going downhill...... Stay away as it was only last week they released it and it was supposed to be their best cd.

I didn't understand a word you said Jay but I think you're a shoe-in for first prize this week.[:^)]

My recommendation this week is a jazz album. Any jazz album recorded before 1968. Right now I'm listening to Up At Mintons, Volume 2 featuring Stanley Turentine (Blue Note 4070). It doesn't have to be this particular LP but it wouldn't hurt.[;)] Absolute KILLER 15 minute version of Love For Sale. Highly recommended.

I am embarrassed to say this, but I haven't turned on my system in over a month. I have been working on a project at work for the last 10 weeks. I work nights and sleep all day. I usually buy 3-5 CD's a week and I haven't bought any new music in a month either.

I finished the cut over Friday into Saturday. I went into work Thursday at 10pm and left work Saturday morning at 5:30am. Slept all day Saturday. Went back into work Sunday at 3pm and left Monday Morning at 2am. Went back into work Monday at 8:45am.

I stopped off at my coffee shop to get a six shooter (5 shots expresso and a shot of vanilla) which is next to my CD store of choice and they have a sign out front that they are closed until July 11th. Left work at 4pm and so far the phone hasn't rung. The bad thing about this is I'm salary and I already had 40 hours in by Wednesday.

I have been using my iPod either in the car or at work with a pair of cheap computer speakers.

Since I haven't bought any new music I am going to put the first 17 songs from my playlist "Stuff".

Most of its old music, but it keeps me awake:

Green Day:

Brain Stew

When I Come Around

Wake Me Up When September Ends

Good Riddance

Drivin N Cryin:

Fly Me Courageous

Collective Soul:

Gel

Shine

December

Cracker:

Euro-Trash Girl

Drivin N Cryin:

Straight To Hell

Lucinda Williams:

Joy (Live)

Eric Johnson:

Cliffs Of Dover (Live From Austin City Limits)

Tab Benoit:

Nice and Warm

Buckwheat Zydeco:

Cryin In The Streets (Our New Orleans 2005..Great CD)

Buddy Guy:

Ain't No Sunshine- Featuring Tracy Chapman

Ryan Adams:

Wish You Were Here

Thats it. I think I am going to power up the system, clean up the house, give the dawgs a bath and this afternoon go buy a 6 pack of Corona, sit in the chair and listen to anything that isn't on the iPod and not answer the phone if it rings.

Happy Birthday America

Danny

I am into the the neo-prog lately --

I really like "Vacuum" by the Watch, an Italian band that sounds incredibly like Gabriel era Genesis-- great vocals and sound. Can't get it for less than $23 on the web on CD--

And, the 2CD album "Subterranea" by the band IQ is killer stuff--Marillion/Yes/Genesis/ELPesque updated prog . Great melodies. vocals, and the flights of instrumental grandeur are often and moving--

John Michael Montgomery - leave a mark (1998).

Posted Image

Mostly slow songs on this CD. Couple of great fast toe-tappers too. On the right system, even though its not a live CD, it has that certain "you are there" quality to it. I'm not sure if its his voice or the mixing but his voice has a pronounced depth that I've typically only heard at outdoor concerts.

Track 8 - "You're the Ticket" has a great pace. Perfect song for cruising in summer. "I wanna be a red Corvette rolling down a two lane road with the top rolled back and no speed limit."

Track 10 - "This One's Gonna 'Leave a Mark'" is a song I can greatly relate to. Mentions many physical things he's gone through (crashed & burned my old Firebird and walked away without a scratch, been kicked and cussed and busted up, it was nothin' I couldn't patch with a band-aid and a shot of alcohol). Then talks about emotional pain which is many times greater than physical (but this one's gonna leave a mark, one that time won't heal. Her good-bye cut like a knife right through this man of steel. Thought that I was tough enough I could just shake it off).

This is not a specific recommendation.

However many of us like to see Allan and Gary's recommendations for great recordings but are afraid to chance Ebay or lay out big bucks for original copies of the classics.

This site : http://www.truebluemusic.com/default.asp has reissues of many of the greats with good quality at great prices. I recently bought "Art Pepper Meets The Rythm Section" after Gary's umteenth post raving about it brand new for $10.98 along with a couple of others that I wanted like Sonny Rollins "Way Out West" for the same price.

Anyhow, that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Rick

This is not a specific recommendation.

However many of us like to see Allan and Gary's recommendations for great recordings but are afraid to chance Ebay or lay out big bucks for original copies of the classics.

This site : http://www.truebluemusic.com/default.asp has reissues of many of the greats with good quality at great prices. I recently bought "Art Pepper Meets The Rythm Section" after Gary's umteenth post raving about it brand new for $10.98 along with a couple of others that I wanted like Sonny Rollins "Way Out West" for the same price.

Anyhow, that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Rick

Smart man.[;)]

Those reissues sound excellent. No need to spend big bucks to get great jazz LPs (unless you want to of course). They can be great investments if you have the time and know what to look for. Some of mine have tripled in value over the past 2 years. Allan could probably retire on what he has hidden in that LP closet of his.

Back to the 70's...............................

Celluloid Heroes ; the KINKS greatest.................CD..............

This album pretty much covers the years 71-75, which in my opinion, was their most productive period, common sense type songs, the band is tight, Dave is getting pretty good on the guitar, crazy times, some crazy songs. Funny part, there is not a "hit song" on this album, yet these are some pretty well written songs, that hold up well,even today. This is a much better choice than vinyl, let me finish before you jump,vinylguys, better song selection, some dropped, some added, remastering sounds top notch, just a nice package. If your a fan, this is mandatory owning, if you are just curious about the band, this is a good choice. This is Rock n' Roll, but it's different, the Kinks aren't for everone, but if you listen once, you'll listen,again, and again............I'm a 20th Century Man, but Idon't want to die one.......................Yeah!!!!!!!

Mark Knopfler - Golden Heart - Rock - CD

From 1996 - recent purchase in a used CD shop - well recorded and a surprising selection of songs - this one slipped by me when it was first released - classic Knopfler for all the Dire Straits fans.

Cassandra Wilson - Thunderbird - Rock/Jazz??? CD

Cassandra's new release - produced by T-Bone Burnett - is hard to classify. It's more rock than jazz - lots of guitar on this one. Cassandra continues to offer some amazing music - slightly offbeat CW signature sound. Highly recommended - different from her earlier releases (New Moon Daughter, Traveling Miles, etc). You can hear a few samples at this website: http://www.bluenote.com/detail.asp?SelectionID=10506

For those fans of the romantic period of classical music: Box set LP's---Tchaikovsky Symphonies No.4,5, and 6. Recorded by the Leningrad Philharmonic Orchestra on the Deutsche Grammophon label. This is the most precise and best recording I have ever heard of the 4th symphony. Yevgeny Mravinsky conducts.

Mark Knopfler & Emmylou Harris - All the Roadrunning - CD - County Rock?

Currently on tour to support this release - a fine recording of songs written over the last 10 years. Mark continues his exploration of Country music. Lush mix of acoustic and electric guitars, mandolins,etc. with a few of Knopflers long time companions - Guy Flecher, Glenn Worf, Richard Bennett, Jim Cox and Chuck Ainlay production.

T Bone Burnett - the true false identity - CD - rock

T-Bone's never been one to hold back on his opinions on the few recordings he has released and this new one is no exception. Very edgy sound - a cast of great players - took a few listens to start to open up to this one. It is availabel as a dual disk too - CD/DVD. I wonder what it would be like if T-Bone and Neil Young got together?