Vintage receiver shootout

I would have to ask why to all of the above. Tubes smoke them all [;)] Really guy's I'm a tube man top to bottom why would I interested in a bunch of SS gear?

Craig

Because Your a fair an Honest Man without an ax to grind, and you realize other people have other tastes, and SS does have a place in this Hobby, and it's not a tube vs SS, it's comparing SS equipment......................

That TECHNICS is a fine looking unit........................

how recent qualifies as vintage?

There isn't universal agreement to this question. Most folks think that vintage leaves off somewhere around 1980 or so.

I don't know about audio specifically, but doesn't vintage generally pertain to 25+ years old or older? Antique cars- 25 years, Rock and Roll Hall of Fame 25 years.

I did have a beautiful Technics SA-1000 that still had the 300WPC sticker that was in mint condition. Sold it on ebay a couple of years back.

I had never even heard of this particular model before when I call from a wife who said she wanted the beast out of her house (along with a pair of B&W Matrix 2.2 speakers and a nice Technics turntable). They had just purchased a BOSE system!! They begged me to take it all away for $250.00. I didn't even try to negotiate (not like me).

Not a bad deal.

I ended up selling the receiver for $1,900.00 to a collector who had every piece of Technics ever made except the SA-1000. He was so concerned that something would get damaged in shipping that he was going to fly here to pick it up personally in his private plane! I did talk him out of it as that was such a waste of time, energy and gas. It arrived safely although @ 94 lbs., it was a beast to pack.

Sorry I can't help but it is a beautiful receiver and I am sure one will turn up. Just be prepared to pay top dollar if one shows up.

And to those who debate tube vs. SS, this is what makes our hobby so much fun! There is a place for both although I must admit, tubes are my passion.

Take care,

Barry

Colter that means we are almost vintage squared??? (or maybe doubled???) [:P] [;)]

Bill

Fishing for a late "Happy Birthday" Bill (Silversport)? Actually I'm almost vintage squared, you on the other hand have several years yet, enjoy them!

BTW, if this was just vintage SS gear, I suppose you or I could offer up some of our Nak gear, althought I'm out of receivers and into separates now.

And for some vintage analog, I could offer up a Pioneer CT-F850

post-17808-13819302125722_thumb.jpg

I remember those decks...especially the "blown away" tape in it...yes, Yamaha is good (I had a CA-610II integrated amp...very nice) and have a Nakamichi SR-2...nice AND a TA-2A...nicer (IMHO)...both STASIS technology from Nelson Pass...

Bill

Man, can anyone come up with a Technics SA-1000??

http://www.vintagetechnics.com/receivers/sa1000.htm

All I can say is GOOD LUCK. I've been looking for one for a long time, although I have now given up. I did score a really nice fully functional and cosmetically excellent SA-800 on ebay. I use it to drive a pair of LaScalas. I can't get that thing much past "3" and the output is deafening. That particular "SA" line of receivers have a very pure, clean sound. The 1000 would be such a waste on Heritage stuff. May be great on a pair of RF 7a though.