The wait is over for Pink Floyd fans ..Pulse out on July 11!

pierceb

I just watched this show,I was rather pleasantly surprised.The show looks and sounds much better than it did 10 or so years ago.The sound quality is really good,not the very best but better than most.Considering it's a large venue and thinking of how bad Rush sounds on their RIO dvd it's a prize.I found the bass to be very nice/full with some great moments for the subs.Another positive is you don't have to crank it loud just to get the feel,even 50 to 80 dbs sound nice.The upper range was pretty clear and you hear it all but it's not sizzlin'(a good thing).Overall I'd say 8.5 of 10(Steely Dan being 9.5/Rush being 6),pretty good for older and large venue.I enjoyed it almost as much as the live show,better than I remembered.

If you didn't own it, and just saw it for the first time, would you after watching it, go out and buy it? No issues with the center channel, as some have stated? I like Floyd, but am not a major fan, would this DVD change my mind? Just asking, you'll give me a fair answer.................

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'd buy it quicker the 2nd time,the first time is pot luck,now that I've heard it I know it's good.As to the center channel,I hardly ever listen to each speaker,only the overall presentation.If I hear something that don't sound right then I check speakers.That said,my center sounds fine,it's not dominating but for music that's the way I prefer it.I paid $17 for the 2 disc set,that's as good an investment as I've made in my appx 200 concerts.I like about half of PF music,they lost me on The Wall,if you're a big fan you could not be without this one.As I said,I have about 200+ concerts,this one is in the top 10-15%.All the songs are done very well,sound is good,visual is good,it's about the best PF you'll see without Waters.

I'd buy it quicker the 2nd time,the first time is pot luck,now that I've heard it I know it's good.As to the center channel,I hardly ever listen to each speaker,only the overall presentation.If I hear something that don't sound right then I check speakers.That said,my center sounds fine,it's not dominating but for music that's the way I prefer it.I paid $17 for the 2 disc set,that's as good an investment as I've made in my appx 200 concerts.I like about half of PF music,they lost me on The Wall,if you're a big fan you could not be without this one.As I said,I have about 200+ concerts,this one is in the top 10-15%.All the songs are done very well,sound is good,visual is good,it's about the best PF you'll see without Waters.

Thanx Fish.............

Who cares if the center channel is active or not?

Seems something goofy with the Pioneer player. Weird, pretty high-end DVD player to have issues. Besides, I still think the dvd player should be able to pass the info to the receiver, it's just bits, right? Weird.

Where have you been hiding? Roger Waters has not been part of PF (except Live 8) for over 20 years! Pulse is the PF concert recorded on the Division Bell tour in 94 and roger had been an after thought for 10 years by this time.

Besides if you make a statement like Its Not Real Floyd Without Him, then it must not have been real Floyd after they got rid of Syd. When you hear DG Floyd it sound more like floyd then when RW plays Floyd material...imo

Still can't figure out why or how to get the 640 track to play on this Pioneer. The 640 track plays fine on my old (before DTS) sony dvd player in the bedroom.??

Anyway, I'm curious of the difference in sound on these two versions....

Is it substantial?

Thanks~

Still can't figure out why or how to get the 640 track to play on this Pioneer. The 640 track plays fine on my old (before DTS) sony dvd player in the bedroom.??

Anyway, I'm curious of the difference in sound on these two versions....

Is it substantial?

Thanks~

I have heard the Pioneer's are having a hard time with the high bit track. There is also discussion over on the avs forum about the pioneer's having this problem.

As far as the difference between the two I find it to be much fuller and less compressed. If you were only listening to the lower bit rate and made the switch you would notice a large improvement, especially in the bass and mids. I started off playing the high bit rate track and then went to the lower one and it was a big difference. I was wondering before I got the disc if my technics was going to be able to play the high bit track but it did with no problems.

I'm also wondering if it has something to do with the type and age of the av receivers being used. So for kicks I used my external inputs like I would for dvd audio and let the dvd player do the decoding and I still got the high bit rate. So it must be the dvd players.

I wish there was some technical data available from Dolby on this but I have not been able to find anything yet.

scooter

scooter

Where have you been hiding? Roger Waters has not been part of PF (except Live 8) for over 20 years! Pulse is the PF concert recorded on the Division Bell tour in 94 and roger had been an after thought for 10 years by this time.

Besides if you make a statement like Its Not Real Floyd Without Him, then it must not have been real Floyd after they got rid of Syd. When you hear DG Floyd it sound more like floyd then when RW plays Floyd material...imo

i know all about the floyd story but when roger got back with the rest of the band for the benifit concert a few months ago & played breath in the air i got chills .....when i put in pulse started of on disk 2 & breath just didnt do it for me

and i thought seeing dark side of the moon on the pulse ad i thought it was a old show remixed

ok in theory yes when sid was gone it was not th original floyd but sid would not have made that band what it turned out to be & that stopped after the final cut everything arter that was alwasy just david trying to fill a void(and make a s#*t load of money......) that cant be filled so floyd ended for me at THHE FINAL CUT. have you seen any clips from the movie of the final cut.......very cool

i'm sorry i'll never hear the end of it but david g. doesn't do it for me ALL songs that are not old floyd SUCK.everything he's put out except delacate sounds of thunder (barely) has gone down fast. PULSE SUCKS !! ROGER WATERS "IN THE FLESH LIVE) BLOWS PULSE TO THE TRASH

My Denon and Yamaha DVD players played the 640 kbps track flawlessly. I agree Picky gave an accurate review although I don't necessarily agree with all of the technical comments.[;)]

The Roger Waters "in the flesh" DVD didn't leave my rotation for several months. The Guitar Players he chose were phenomenal and I thought the songs were sung well. The humorous antidote to my experience with this DVD is that it was so well mixed I didn't notice there wasn't a center channel recorded until several months of listening to it. One night I walked by my RC-7 and thought it was disconected. I then learned something I didn't know. [:o] I called a friend to tell him about the lack of center channel only to hear, "Yes there is." He called me back 10 minutes later to acknowledge we had been tricked. [:|]

The only fault I could find in "PULSE" was that they tried to "blend" a center channel and only partially pulled it off on some songs--On most songs I wasn't analyzing faults in the recording. My subwoofer had the {self edit} on the couch rumbling and by the last song I was laughing and crying at the same time. Definitely a Happening for folks that are into multichannel! The pre recorded surround information was trippy (as the kids used to say [W]) and very well executed, imo.

Insofar as the video is concerned I contemplated how incredible the concert would have been if it could have been filmed in HD. That being said my old Mitz did a good job of stretching the picture to let me completely enjoy this concert in all it's glory. [Y][Y]

I just watched the VH1 Pulse concert special. Unfortunately it was only an hour long and with commercials I think they only showed 4 songs. What I saw sounded great and I can only imagine the DVD being that much better.

I just watched the VH1 Pulse concert special. Unfortunately it was only an hour long and with commercials I think they only showed 4 songs. What I saw sounded great and I can only imagine the DVD being that much better.

They butchered that show, should run something like that commercial free, a tease, a taste, but better than nothing, or is it?..................