Do you salt your watermelon?

m00n

Just a light sprinkling please, unless it's a particularly good one with real flavor!

Grandpa used to buy the best ones, he'd cut up the rind into little squares and put it in the bottom of a tall tupperware container to keep the watermelon chunks out of the 'water', keeping it fresh. He'd always deliver it apologizing, saying 'it's not a very good one', then it'd be like the best you'd ever tasted. We'd just sit in a shady spot next to the old garage and eat it and talk all evening until the sun went down.

Michael

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh yeah m00n it works, cut a hole through the rind into the watermelon. Be sure to use a good sized watermelon, stuff a bottle of vodka or I suggest a bottle of Captain Morgan's Silver Spiced Rum give it a couple of days to absorb, you can keep the plug you removed and re-plug the hole after you remove the bottle. Chill the watermelon in an ice chest full of ice or in your fridge if you can fit it in, get it good and cold. Slice, salt to taste, pass around and let the fun begin.

Oh yeah m00n it works, cut a hole through the rind into the watermelon. Be sure to use a good sized watermelon, stuff a bottle of vodka or I suggest a bottle of Captain Morgan's Silver Spiced Rum give it a couple of days to absorb, you can keep the plug you removed and re-plug the hole after you remove the bottle. Chill the watermelon in an ice chest full of ice or in your fridge if you can fit it in, get it good and cold. Slice, salt to taste, pass around and let the fun begin.

LOL... Nice! I have to try this. Just gotta think about when the next time we will have several friends over. Oh and BTW, are we talking a full 5th or what? What size watermellon would you suggest?

I tried it and it brought to my palate a new stronger watermelon taste!

Also at college for a birthday we did the bacardi 151 in the watermellon. A big one took the whole bottle and we cured it for 3 days. A couple of bites and you can feel it!

just get a knife and cut a plug and take some inside out to allow the alcohol to get in. slowly add more while in fridge.

Sweet and salty go well together. I know people that salt ice cream.

Sometimes it can be nice to combine foods for a similar result:

cantalope wrapped in prosciutto comes to mind.

m00n, another nice treat with a corked watermelon is to cut smaller

wedges and put them into fruit punch. That way you drink what would

otherwise be running down your arm...

Sweet and salty go well together. I know people that salt ice cream.

Sometimes it can be nice to combine foods for a similar result:

cantalope wrapped in prosciutto comes to mind.

m00n, another nice treat with a corked watermelon is to cut smaller

wedges and put them into fruit punch. That way you drink what would

otherwise be running down your arm...

Saltwater taffy comes to mind!

Sweet and salty go well together. I know people that salt ice cream. Sometimes it can be nice to combine foods for a similar result: cantalope wrapped in prosciutto comes to mind.

m00n, another nice treat with a corked watermelon is to cut smaller wedges and put them into fruit punch. That way you drink what would otherwise be running down your arm...

You're referring to putting your booze induced watermellon in the fruit punch yes?

YES.

Or for those of you with a hand held blender:

Cork the end of the watermelon and soak with booze. After 2-3 days, cut

the top (corked end) off and stir up the inside with the blender (or a

potato masher), and use a ladle to serve smoothies.

Punch only makes it go further. So does soaking citrus fruit in grain

alcohol, and adding it to the punch too. In college, we called 'em

"wringers".

Do I salt my watermelon? Was John the Baptist?? In a word, yes. And I don't merely salt it, I salt every bite, fork in one hand, shaker in the other. I also salt cantelope and mush melon, veggies, and pork. Yum-Yum! (and thank goodness for diuretics).