la scala's

gigbyt

i have a chance to buy a pair of la scalas for about 500

maybe less. i havent seen them yet buy seller says they work great but arent in mint condition and are 1970's era. im waiting for pics from seller.

are they worth 500.00?

i dont know a whole lot about thes speakers.so any help would be appreciated.

thanx,

john s.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beauty ( the buyer) is always in the eye of the beholder.(The seller).

A low of 800 to 1200 to as high as 1800+ is the norm depending on year all original and condition. (With the most important thing, are they exactly what YOU want too?) To buy them new today, will cost you a LOT of money!!!!

So, assuming all original parts and working in good condition. RUN, get em now!!!

You could easily unload them, if you do not care for them at all, and make some money!

Personally, I think if you like that big klipsch sound..... you will love them!

Probably, unless they are totally beat. I paid more than twice that, but then mine are in great shape. If all the frivers are okay, other than looks, all you would need to do would be to get the crossovers back into spec (capacitors tend to age rather poorly). Lots of options for fixing them up after that.

Bruce

• Moderators

If the cabinets are not totally trashed, in other words, if you can refinish them, sand out bad spots, etc, and the actual horns are all in good working condition, then you should jump on these. You won't be sorry. I just sold a pair, in average to good condition, on craigslist for over twice that. I offered them on here first, for a few hundred less,and no takers so it all depends on the market.

Travis

are they easy to refinish?

seller states that they are black and work and sound" GREAT"

i have a pair of klipsch ksb 3.1 bookshelves that i'm using in my small living room

and i love the way they sound.

so i should buy the la scalas any way?

500 bucks, and working, if you don't want them, let me know and I'll buy them.

Cabinets are expected to look like the cabs have been rolled down the street at that price. But even so, you can sand, prime, and worst case trim with aluminum stock from home depot.

so i should buy the la scalas any way?

Because if they are mint and he is charging $500, you can buy them and resell them for 2 to 3 times that.

Go check 'em out. LaScalas are no bookshelf speaker. They are BIG and LOUD and fast. Like having a concert in your own living room. But you have to be committed to looking at the big old boxes.

The water mark on one of the speakers shows to be pretty high up,...so I would assume that one (if not both) K33's is shot. I'd agree that the horns are okay though. But, plan on reconing one, or both woofers.

The water mark on one of the speakers shows to be pretty high up,...so I would assume that one (if not both) K33's is shot. I'd agree that the horns are okay though. But, plan on reconing one, or both woofers.

What you looking at Gilbert? I don't see any pictures or links to pictures in this thread.

I just sent an "I want to buy" email to the email address indicated at the site.

At this price, I can't pass them up.

I'm off thursday and friday, and if they still are available, will pickup this week.