Klipschorns in my future?

gonzp

I have a real good fried that has purchased a pair of Avantgarde speakers and he is driving to Santa Fe NM to pick them up this weekend. He has got 2 pairs of K-Horns 1 pair is oak and the 2nd pair is walnut with ALK networks.

I always told him that, I would buy a pair if and when he was ready to sell. Well he is obviously ready!!! I like the walnut pair as my VRD's and BBXtreme are in walnut. We drug these beasts over yesterday and, I was honestly hoping to not hear all that much of a differance.

Was I surprised!!! The differance was astonishing. I trust my wifes ears because she is a lot more objective than am I, and, even she said that the differance was quite compelling. These speakers are mint 1988 walnut with older Alnico tweeter drivers and the AKL networks. I guess I am asking for price opinions. I have an idea what I can get them for. Truth is, these speakers are not leaving my basement. WOW!!!!!!!!!!!

(EDIT) If someone can tell me how to resize a picture in Mac osx I will post some pics

(EDIT) If someone can tell me how to resize a picture in Mac osx I will post some pics

The way I do it is to first have the picture in iPhoto. Then export the photo as a JPG to the desktop. You get the option to resize the photo as you export. I usually make the first number 640 for width and iPhoto scales the second number. Very simple and only takes seconds.

Bob Crites

Regardless of what some folks say the Klipschorn is a significant performance upgrade over a Belle and La Scala, I have had them all. When I initially went from Belle's to Klipschorn's there was no guess work involved at all they big horns were an improvment for the better especially in the bottom end.

I would say that $2500 or less would be a good price for them. However the 1988 Klipschorn should have the K-77M tweeter and not the round magnet alnico K-77 so they have been changed at some point. The original networks for those were the AK-2's, and they should have the K-55M midranges.

I love my 4 Klipschorn setup and would not go back to a Belle or La Scala, I do however use a La Scala for my center channel and it performs admirably.

Congratulations to you!!

Way to go, Patrick! My advice is to pay fair market value. Since you're friends with the seller, neither of you should want to play hardball on the price. They're a bargain even if you have to pay in the upper range of fair market value.

Regardless of what some folks say the Klipschorn is a significant performance upgrade over a Belle and La Scala, I have had them all.  When I initially went from Belle's to Klipschorn's there was no guess work involved at all they big horns were an improvment for the better especially in the bottom end.

I would say that $2500 or less would be a good price for them.  However the 1988 Klipschorn should have the K-77M tweeter and not the round magnet alnico K-77 so they have been changed at some point.  The original networks for those were the AK-2's, and they should have the K-55M midranges.

I love my 4 Klipschorn setup and would not go back to a Belle or La Scala, I do however use a La Scala for my center channel and it performs admirably.

Congratulations to you!!

I know that these tweeters are not stock. He had them shipped from NY to WY and they were damaged in shipping, so, when he replaced them he found the other drivers. He is I think asking 3300 with the Klappenberger ALK,s

$3300 is certainly on HIGH end price especially for '88's but taking into consideration that the ALK's are like six bills and if the condition is 9 or higher on a 1 to 10 scale it is certainly not unreasonable. I would see if he would be willing to take $3K for them.

The way I do it is to first have the picture in iPhoto. Then export the photo as a JPG to the desktop. You get the option to resize the photo as you export. I usually make the first number 640 for width and iPhoto scales the second number. Very simple and only takes seconds.

Bob Crites

Thanks Bob!!!

$3300 is certainly on HIGH end price especially for '88's but taking into consideration that the ALK's are like six bills and if the condition is 9 or higher on a 1 to 10 scale it is certainly not unreasonable. I would see if he would be willing to take $3K for them.

I agree with the above.

Just sold my Khorns as the original owner(93), miss the girls, but a proud owner of my first tube amp, and McIntosh owner, in the new MC275 to power my Scala's...you know what, go for it, I know the guy who bought mine(soon to be a member here) he will take care of them, that counts to me. I had NO room and they sat...and sat....sat....flipped.....sat.....

they are babes, if you get the chance and price for Khorns...do it.....[;)]

PS. He drove 10+ hrs return to get them.....

They look brand new! $3300, whats the problem? No shipping, ALK's, and you already have them. Write the check:)

Pete

There is a lot of truth to that. Sometimes we obsess too much about about the best possible deal, just so we can say we only paid so much for them. But an extra $300 isn't that much of a big deal for years of enjoyment after all if it also doesn't sour a friendship.

They look brand new! $3300, whats the problem? No shipping, ALK's, and you already have them. Write the check:)

Pete

There is a lot of truth to that. Sometimes we obsess too much about about the best possible deal, just so we can say we only paid so much for them. But an extra $300 isn't that much of a big deal for years of enjoyment after all if it also doesn't sour a friendship.

These are already in my basement, and I can not believe the differance over my Scala's. They are like I said mint and they just happen to match my VRD's and BBXTreme. I think that I am going to follow the advise from the guys here on the board and offer him 3K. Whatever happens after that we will still be great friends. Thanks all for your input.

[edited by: gonzp at 12:46 PM (GMT -5) on Fri, Jul 21 2006]

I now have a pair of Lascales to sell if anyone is interested!!!