Buying used Heresey

vondy

Heresy I's and II's typically sell from $400 - $500 sometimes a bit less or a bit more but always in that range. Anything below that is a good deal.

Stop trying to get cheap and pay the price, a new pair will set you back $1100 - $1300, Heresy's have never ever been a cheap speaker to purchase. Bottom line is if you want to play you have to pay!

Age makes NO difference even 40 year plus Heresy's will still work perfectly if treated well. The drivers are designed to last essentially a lifetime if not abused.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I bid and won. $400. I hope the fact that no one else bid is not a bad sign. I'll pick them up and let y'all know how they sound. Thanks for everyone's help. I'm sure I will have many more questions to come concerning any update/grades for the speaker and possible amp questions.

Congrats, Vondy.

Now when you get them home, hook 'em up, put on something you are familiar with, sit back, close your eyes, and just listen.

Remember, it's about the sound and how they sound to you. You will develop 'upgraditis' soon enough. Right now, just enjoy.

Chuck

Looks to be a very nice set of Heresy-Walnut Oil from 1980 (exactly the same as my Walnut Oil pair)...sweet and you picked them up for about $50 bux less than I got mine for a year and a half ago...nice deal, beautiful speakers...get ready for equally nice sound...cheers!

Bill

1980 models, good choice. Those should have the more desirable K-55V midranges with the solder terminals and dual phase plugs.

I just bought a pair of 1980 WO Heresy's myself on AudioGon but to my surprise they had the spring terminal K-55V's.

Upgrading the networks is super easy all you need is two 2uf capacitors for each one and that's it. The 2.5mh coil and autoformer should be in good shape since they are sealed in the speaker away from the elements.

Well the 26 year old Heresy's are hooked up and playing very nicely. I can hear sounds and instruments I did not even know existed on some songs. Thanks again everyone.

These are in tip-top shape. Just a few dings in the wood, other than that, great.

Maybe it's just me, or my speaker placement, or my amp, but it seems as if there may be a lack of low range bass. I feel that 2 12's should put out a bit more. Is that the nature of the Heresy or am I being too critical. Not that it matters, I will love them dearly. I just like to know everything about my new toys.

on the floor is best for Heresys...tucked into a corner perhaps better...many people feel that Heresys are bass shy (I am not one of them but...) the Heresy IIs more than the Heresy but they really are very close...good luck with your purchase...if you change your mind and don't like the speakers, you could easily sell them here for what you paid or more elsewhere...enjoy!

Bill

Vondy, I think you need a sub, but you can get that later, I think you'll find the Heresy to be a very nice speaker, given it's size, some folks like the Bass output, I find it lacking, but I already had a sub when I got mine. I am still always playing with mine, just kick back and enjoy for awhile, before you start upgrading............I never knew my stereo sucked until I joined this mad house...............................Enjoy, Please Your Ears.........................

Growing up, my best friend's dad had a pair of cornwalls. Very nice indeed. Although my 1,020 SF house is not quite big enough for them.

I plan on not buying anything else for a while now but will do some research. Any recommendations on subs? Something that would work well for stereo as well as any future HT application. Are the subs y'all are using powered?

Right now I have a simple Kenwood stereo tuner I bought 15 years ago. I'm sure that will need upgrading as well, same as the sub, great for music and good for future HT.

Thanks!

Well the 26 year old Heresy's are hooked up and playing very nicely. I can hear sounds and instruments I did not even know existed on some songs. Thanks again everyone.

These are in tip-top shape. Just a few dings in the wood, other than that, great.

Maybe it's just me, or my speaker placement, or my amp, but it seems as if there may be a lack of low range bass. I feel that 2 12's should put out a bit more. Is that the nature of the Heresy or am I being too critical. Not that it matters, I will love them dearly. I just like to know everything about my new toys.

Congratulations on the Heresys.

The bass will sound best if they are on the floor (or a small riser - which was an option on the cabinet). The Heresy does not have a great deal of low bass output. This simply reflects the physics of the situation. Your amplifier will need to have sufficient power; however, don't assume that some exotic amp is going to magically provide a good deal of "extra bass". Although the cabinet is a bit bass shy (and this is also a function of the kind of music you listen to), the bass that is there is remarkable accurate/clean/smooth (it just does not go deep).

Enjoy,

-Tom