Heresy Label Coding. What have I got here?

Greetings,

This is my first time posting, so I'll have to beg everyone's indulgence if my question is in the wrong forum or somehow inappropriate.

I purchased these Heresies recently from a local fellow who had been lovingly caring for them for about fifteen years. Prior to that, they were owned by another fellow who treated them kindly as well-- at least as far as I can tell. I got them for the specific purpose of pairing them with my recently rebuilt Fisher 500B. I'm quite pleased with the sound (reminds me of my youth :-)), though I suspect I'd do better with risers of some sort.

Anyhow, to my questions.

1. Can anyone tell me what the "sl" extension after "HBR" means? Obviously, if these ever were raw birch, they are no longer. I know it's not uncommon for raw cabinets to be finished by the consumer, but the grain looks much more figured than what I would expect of birch.

2. Is there a resource for checking production dates by serial number? Or, failing that, can anyone hazard a guess at about when these were manufactured?

As I noted, I'm quite pleased with the speakers; and none of this information is necessary to enhance my enjoyment of them, but I am a curious sort...

Oh, yes (and this may be a loaded question born of ignorance)-- are there any standard or recommended maintainance procedures that I should observe for speakers of this type and vintage?

I thank you, in advance, for any assistance, being pointed toward the appropriate FAQ, etc.

Regards,

Chrisheresy1.jpg

heresy2.jpg

heresy3.jpg

hello chris, welcome to the forum. very nice looking heresys

the T indicates that they were built in 1979

usually an S stands for satin and a L stands for lacquer

crossover upgrades are what everyone usually does to them to bring them back to factory specs. see forum member ( BEC ) bob crites for info.

someone will chime in on what this really stands for

I don't want to get anyone overexcited . .. but.

The initials could be Brasilian Rosewood. That means it is an expensive factory option which was in fact available.

Someone may have the old pricelist handy which could confirm it. It shows initials in the product code.

The wood shown on the top certainly could be rosewood. It is usually lacquered. Maybe it does not take an oil finish because of its own oils.

As you suspect, people do sometimes add exotic veneer. But it would be quite a coincidence.

From what I've read, there is not much to as far as TLC for lacquer except dusting. If there is flaw another coat could be sprayed on by an expert.

Yes, you came to the correct forum. Everyone will make you feel welcome.

Gil

Wouldn't Birch Raw have normally been butt-jointed? That is certainly not BIrch, I think my good colleague could be onto something. Those are certainly some of the most beautiful Heresies I have ever seen posted here.

If you look at the edges from the back side, you would see how the cabinet was constructed, and might be able to tell from there if additional veneer or coatings were applied.

"T" was built in 1979

Looks like I was wrong about rosewood not being oiled.

I found my old post of the 1974 price list. It is easier to attach it than figure out the link process.

Please do see the attached.

I think the initials don't match any of the codes shown. But look for yourself.

I have no reason to question Mike C's analysis that they are 1979. Maybe things changed between 74 and 79.

There are several varieties of what is called rosewood. From what I recall the earliest had the smell of roses when cut. It also caused skin reactions like poison ivy. It became over forested and then other similar woods replaced it. Maybe those from Brazil was one of them.

I'm still guessing at Brazil Rosewood Satin Lacquer. It is just a guess. Maybe Trey or Amy can help.

Gil

Old Pricelist.pdf

i just happen to have a 1979 price list

H-BRL - heresy brazilian rosewood lacquer

e-mail klipsch with the serial numbers and they will tell you what finish they left the factory with and where they were shipped to.

heresy in 1979 WO $362

BRL in 79 $569

Well, heck. Thanks so much for the info, all. It certainly seems to fit. The cabinets have no visible butt joints, so veneer makes sense. Also, while the grain does not resemble what is currently available as "rosewood" in the audio and furniture markets, it also does not look like walnut, birch or any domestic species.

I assume that the close graining that is typical of current rosewood products is a result of harvesting managed growth (which would be young and close-grained). These show large swirls, and wide grain. Satin laquer sounds right. Honestly, I had assumed that someone had polyurethaned them at some point, as the finish is quite hard and a bit shiny. Definitely not an oiled finish.

Also, thank you for the lead on the crossover upgrade/maintenance. I will follow up on that.

Finally, if these are of interest as a relative rarity, I am more than happy to take additional photos of whatever aspect of them interests you all. Just let me know what you would like, and I will post, email, or whatever is of the most use, additional photos.

Also, do you think it is possible that the label code actually reads "H - BRSL?" Alas, the top half of the second speaker's label is gone, so I cannot compare. It looks a little like a dash, no? So, distinguishing HBR from H-BR...maybe.

I guess I did come to the right place [:D]

Regards,

Chris

Gil is right. They are Brazilian Rosewood Satin Lacquer! Congrats! Nice pair of Heresys. They would definitely have the butt joints if they were raw birch and come on guys, don't they look like rosewood to you??

My Cornwalls are CZSL (Cornwall Zebrawood Satin Lacquer). Some builders used a dash, others didn't.

Once again, thanks everyone for the kind assistance.

I took some additional photos. I don't want to post a modem burner here, so I've put them on my site. I've no plans to delete them any time soon, however if you are the sort who archives pics, it's probably best to download them.

I've got them up on some old stands, just to check the sound. I guess I could commission rosewood risers, but that sounds pricey. I think I'd be fine with a black stain on a dense hardwood. In my house, the WAF is based not on aesthetics, but on cost. All of the not-such-a-bargain gear is downstairs in my office-- to keep it from being a constant reminder to her of my reckless spending [A]

I hadn't noticed, until I was taking the pictures, that the veneer is matched on the speakers. That's a nice touch.

The flash really accentuates any flaws-- mostly scrapes, but also an area of color deviation. Sun damage, perhaps? Before I met you folks, my intention was to lightly sand them, and then either oil and wax, or clear stain and poly them. However, I am now reluctant to change the finish. I'm not really comfortable working with lacquer. Does anyone see a downside to having them sanded and re-lacquered by a professional? There are no breaks, splits or chips in the veneer, so I expect that it can withstand one refinish.

Thanks again,

Chris

H-BRSL photos

Chris,

If you are new to Klipsch or Heresys...Klipsch sold short risers that either lifted the whole speaker up a bit or the better ones (in my opinion) tilted the mids and tweets (and Woof) back a bit so they fired up better towards your ears...Heresys work BEST when near or on the floor...that's where they pick up some bass...maybe more knowledgable people will chime in here in a bit but this will give you some thoughts and get it to the top.

Bill

Chris,

If you are new to Klipsch or Heresys...Klipsch sold short risers that either lifted the whole speaker up a bit or the better ones (in my opinion) tilted the mids and tweets (and Woof) back a bit so they fired up better towards your ears...Heresys work BEST when near or on the floor...that's where they pick up some bass...maybe more knowledgable people will chime in here in a bit but this will give you some thoughts and get it to the top.

Bill

Hi Bill,

These are, for sure, my first Heresys (I'm guessing that we don't say "Heresies" unless we are talking highly controversial opinions, rather than speakers). I've known of them for years, though, and have seen both the angled and level risers. Given the layout of the room, the tilt seems the way to go. I'm tempted to try to build the risers myself, but I've seem them pop up on auction and audiophile sites often enough, that I'm comfortable waiting for a pair to appear.

I have read of those who modify the crossovers to optimize the sound for traditional (+/- 28" high) stands. That holds no interest for me, though. I'm quite content running them low to the ground, and think they look a bit...off when balancing atop a stand.

Flat on the floor, they sound pretty good. Certainly much better than any of the several other vintage speakers I have tried out on the Fisher.

Regards,

Chris

According to The American Heritage Dictionary, and every other dictionary with which I'm familiar, the plural of heresy is heresies. The speaker name is the same as the unorthodox belief, PWK's sense of humor at work.

Cool, thanks. Do fanatical Heresy owners call themselves "Heretics" (with a capital 'H')?[:)]

-Chris

Chris,

Nice looling speakers. If you aren't comfortable working with the lacquer finish, I would let a furniture place do all the work. They might not sand them at all, but would use a lacquer solvent on them. Then they wouldn't be removing any wood, unless absolutely necessary.

Neil,

We went through a long thread on this once before, and everyone settled on the plural being Heresys. I always spelled it the other way too. Probably since we are talking about a single Heresy, the plural then being Heresys....

I don't care really.

The premium Rosewood always came from Brazil. Once it was overcut, in the '60s, many switched to East Indian Rosewood. The coloring is very similar, but not identical. It is usually a little lighter in color. Now there are companies going back into Brazil and harvesting all of the stumps, etc. and selling it. They might as well since the tree is no longer growing. This is why you can get a new guitar with Brazilian Rosewood, even though fairly recently harvested. It adds about $2k+ to the cost of the guitar.

Indian Rosewood is grown as a windbreak on tea plantations, so they only let them grow to a certain size and then harvest (also a good explanation for the tighter grain on most Rosewood that you currently see). This makes it a renewable resource, which is great for instrument makers.

Many woods cause skin irritations, but usually from working with it, i.e., the dust from sanding, etc. Some can cause severe respiritory problems.

Bruce

Bruce,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Everyone did not settle on misspelling the plural of Heresyperhaps many or mostbut not everyone. If the spelling of an unorthodox religious belief were "Heresey," then the plural would be Hereseys." Since it is spelled "Heresy" (whether the theological or wooden variety), the proper spelling of the plural is "Heresies.

Dont misunderstand me; creative misspelling and customized grammar and syntax are something that must be tolerated while using any internet forum. But, Chris' comment related to the correct spelling of the plural of Heresy, he did not ask for the most popular misspelling.

The forum shouldn't stop with spelling, let's come to an agreement that the laws of physics don't apply to Heresies, so that we can listen to full throttle 32hz pipe organ music with SET amps :-).

Please let me know if you ever decide to part with them to upgrade to Cornwall's, La Scala's, Belle's or Klipschorn's. I would give you top dollar for them.

I have been looking for some Heresy's with an other than the standard finishes.