WORLD'S BEST SPEAKER

BigStewMan

Out of boredom, I googled worlds best speakers. Ofcourse, hoping to see KLIPSCH mentioned, I encounted an article from e-opinion that narrowed it down to twoMagnepan and B&W. Got to admit, the Magnepans are flat and look cooldont know a thing about this ribbon-driver technology. Anyone ever heard a pair of these? <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Here is their conclusion:

This review will focus on the two most widely known speakers in the world. By most, they are considered the greatest ever built, but they aren't the most expensive. They both cost around $10,000 a pair, so because of the price similarity, I will compare the Magnepan MG20.1 and B&W Nautilus 801 series speakers.

THE VERDICT

-In Conclusion-
*Well, if I could spend $10,000 on speakers right now, I'd have to go with the Magnepans. They had more emphasis on the higher ranges. I know that bass can always be taken care of with a powered subwoofer. But really, for $10,000 you simply can't go wrong. B&W and Magnepan are not like Bose, these are truly some of the greatest speakers in the world. However, I like the Maggies better because the midrange and high ranges are cleaner, and the vocals are also the most realistic with the Magnepans. However, the B&Ws are capable of giving out more powerful bass. Overall, any of these speakers will make you happy. But if you really love vocals and instrumentals, then the Maggies will suit you best.

I'm going to jump in on the long side of this as I have B&W Nautilus 804's and they can suck every watt right out of my BAT VK-200 and not even bat (pun intended) an eye!

I owned MMG's back in the late 80's driven by Crown Series 2 (20 DB Headroom folks) and they ate it up like nobodies business so power hungry is an accurate statement for both[;)]

Now my side by side black finish speakers are the Naut's and Indy LaScalla's and I think I have the best of two different worlds and have been considering picking up a used set of MMG's again!

Wolrd's best speaker, after our little trip to Hope recently I think they should add the 60th Anni K-Horn to their choices[:o]

I think DeanG may have had a pair of Maggies back in the day...

I owned a 350 WPC Carver TFM-35x and a 300 WPC McIntosh MC7200 to drive a pair of Magnepan MGLR1s (a notch above the MMGs), and the 86dB (4 ohm) Maggies ate up just about every bit of power these amps provided! Regardless, they never gave me any problems and they sounded excellent in my current small room (although I bet they really would've opened up if installed in our familyroom or livingroom).

I've only heard a friend's B&W bookshelf monitors years ago (can't recall the model), and they did sound damn good in his spacious livingroom...would love to hear the 801 Matrix! I do recall the original 801s being refered to as the models from which all others are to be judged, that they were particularly suited for classical music, and that some of the top mastering studios in the world used them. But they were (and still are) well out of my price range, new and used, so I may still never get the chance to own a pair...bummer!

post-11084-13819307546806_thumb.jpg

I had a pair of Magnepans. Good speaker -- power hungry! Traded them on a pair of K-Horns and never looked back.

Mick

Come on guys! Every speaker is power hungry compared to a Klipschorn!

OK, there is the La Scala and there are those vintage Jensen Imperials

and a handful of other insanely efficient speakers out there, but in

this case it is true, the Maggies are especially power hungry.

A friend has a pair of the Maggies as reviewed above. He drives his

with a pair of Audio Research 200 watt mono blocks... they suck the

guts out of those amps... but they do sound nice. Personally I think

they are just a touch bright, but they do sound nice.

I doubt that most people on this forum would trade their Klipsch XXXXs

for them though. They just don't have the dynamics and "live" sound of

a good horn system.

Widget

About two weeks ago I heard two pairs of speakers that really impressed me, Neat Ultimatum mf9's, http://www.neat.co.uk/p_pages/p_products/ultimatum/mf9.php and Living Voice Avatar obxr's http://www.livingvoice.co.uk/obxr.htm. They were both playing through an Exposure 3010 series Cd player. The Living Voice speakers also played through the rest of Exposure's 3010 line and the Neats played through top of the line Naim amp and preamp.

The Living Voice Avatar's were in the $8000 Cdn range but were incredible in filling the room with sound and allowing the location of the instruments to be identified on stage with good depth on the stage as well. They were the best pair of speakers I have heard up to then and were very impressive. The other system including speakers was worth about $25000. The Neat's did everything the Avatars did, but more of it. The bass was a bit fuller and more defined and the depth of soundstage was greater. I was told the Neats were incredible with complex classical music because they can handle a full orchestra and make it sound realistic. The jazz I listened to was perfect in detail and clearness, including hearing the strings of the bass being plucked. After listening to both systems for 20 minutes each, I had no doubt that anyone would suffer from ear wind listening to either speaker.

The only question I had when I left was the placement of the speakers in the rooms. Both were about 8 feet off the back wall in a big room. That far away the produced an incredible sound stage with excellent bass.

I bought a couple of cd's from the store and enjoyed listening to them on the way home. As for the speakers, they are both out of my price range, but I had a great two hours listening to them and some other equipment.

I really don't think there is a "world's best speaker"! I've owned a variety of speakers over the years and enjoyed every one of them. However, at some point in my audiophile journey I'd get a knot in my britches to have something different. Had a pair of Bose 901's when they first came out in the late 60's. Then came the ESS AMT 1's. I really liked their sound but got excited about a big pair of Magnepans (three panels for each stereo channel). They were enjoyable to listen to and just awesome to look at but they had to go for a pair K-Horns with a Belle for the center. I kept those for about ten years then got all fussed over Quad ESL 63's. In terms of definition they were simply wonderful but like the Maggies a bit shy on bass. Then I tried a pair of Digital Phase. But alas, Ive returned to Klipsch. Every pair of these speakers was totally enjoyable. I do love my present K-Horns and Belles. I hope the bug to re-tool doesn't bite me any time soon, but that's totally unpredictable. It could happen any time!

Mick Bell, I feel your statement about the Best Speaker is correct, there is none............I'm glad to see someone mention the ESS AMT line of speakers, thought I might be the only one on here to know about or own a pair.............they were nice........the Air Motion Transformers made some clean music................

If they were truly the best speakers on our planet why would we be buying a subwoofer to supplement them?

If that was directed to me; I was only wise cracking...........just trying to make a point..........if it wasn't directed to me ................Sorry........I was only wise cracking..........Isn't Best of anything purely personal taste......Is it not????........

Neither are the very best I have ever heard. Ive heard some incredible loudspeakers in my day:

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/viewpoint/0902/deprecating.htm

Ive heard large Maggies years ago at a audio boutique in Mpls. Ive heard B&Ws several times, including at the friend who owned the Pass X250 monster (http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0202/passx250.htm)

Both loudspeakers do require oodles of high quality power. Big ole horns need only the high quality, not oodles of it. Each type of speaker has its own unique problems, which must be solved in order to sound its best.