This is for transplanted Coonass's

dtel

Well I'm from Chicago, so the sausage looks good. The rest is whacked. Totally wrong. Looks like a drink I mixed in college mixed with a fishtank.

Whacked? Now Kev, us southerners would consider that an insult if we didn't know how you yankee's are?[;)] That pot of crabs has corn on the cob, boiled potatoes, seasonings and crabs. You yankees don't eat corn or potatoes or lobster or king crab?[*-)]

I'm a northaner and that looks yummy to me... Maybe because my mother used to buy crabs until lately as they are really too small now.... Also living near the ocean I guess? Out in chicago I doubt you see many crabs.

Also saltwater watermelon yum! I tried it after that thread and damn its some good eating.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Clarence, the frog legs are disgusting. I did try them fried, but couldn't get past the fact that they are frogs. On our trip to Hope to pick up the Cornwall III's dtel and I stopped to eat in N. Louisiana. I ordered a seafood platter and the platter came with six frog legs, two shrimp, 2 oysters the size of a nickel, six pieces of fried catfish and one something or another that was supposed to be a stuffed crab. I almost got sick when I saw the frog legs on the seafood platter. I am sorry, but I do not consider frogs to be seafood. I really don't like frogs and snakes, well snakes scare the heck out of me. For some reason, the frog legs are still "jiggly" after being fried.

Now, the crawfish, that's what I'm talking about.

Kev, the oranges actually have a sweet and spicy taste. I was surprised. Kind of like the watermelon and salt idea that was discussed in another thread.

I like frog legs but rarely eat them. My first time was at Ralph & Kacoos in the Quarter. They did, all jokes aside, taste very much like chicken. The pal who took me there said-a little too loudly after a few drinks-"Somewhere there are lots in frogs in tiny wheelchairs!". I was mortified, and people at surrounding tables gave us dirty looks.

The fruit cuts the spicy aspect and complements the flavors.

Incidently, the game of "craps" got it's name from crapaud, for frog. The game, which initially was known as "hazard" in England, was a craze in New Orleans in the early 19th century. The Americans called the French "Johnny Crapaud" for their fondness for frogs. "Hazard" became known as Johnny Crapaud's Game, shortened to Craps.

Clarence, the frog legs are disgusting. I did try them fried, but couldn't get past the fact that they are frogs. On our trip to Hope to pick up the Cornwall III's dtel and I stopped to eat in N. Louisiana. I ordered a seafood platter and the platter came with six frog legs, two shrimp, 2 oysters the size of a nickel, six pieces of fried catfish and one something or another that was supposed to be a stuffed crab. I almost got sick when I saw the frog legs on the seafood platter. I am sorry, but I do not consider frogs to be seafood. I really don't like frogs and snakes, well snakes scare the heck out of me. For some reason, the frog legs are still "jiggly" after being fried.

Kev, the oranges actually have a sweet and spicy taste. I was surprised. Kind of like the watermelon and salt idea that was discussed in another thread.

I like frog legs but rarely eat them. My first time was at Ralph & Kacoos in the Quarter. They did, all jokes aside, taste very much like chicken. The pal who took me there said-a little too loudly after a few drinks-"Somewhere there are lots in frogs in tiny wheelchairs!". I was mortified, and people at surrounding tables gave us dirty looks.

Incidently, the game of "craps" got it's name from crapaud, for frog. The game, which initially was known as "hazard" in England, was a craze in New Orleans in the early 19th century. The Americans called the French "Johnny Crapaud" for their fondness for frogs. "Hazard" became known as Johnny Crapaud's Game, shortened to Craps.

post-17373-1381930792911_thumb.gif

It is still white meat? Also do you eat the heads?

White meat ? You don't eat the heads you suck the juice and fat out and eat the tails after pealed. That's where the saying " pinch the tails and suck the heads " comes from.

I'm going to go throw up again.:)

It is still white meat? Also do you eat the heads?

White meat ? You don't eat the heads you suck the juice and fat out and eat the tails after pealed. That's where the saying " pinch the tails and suck the heads " comes from.

Oldbuckster, you are welcome at the table anytime,

Gross!!! What on earth does that saying mean? [:o]

I doubt this forum is teaching me proper English. [;)]

• Moderators

Well Timmikid I have never in my whole life been accused of teaching proper English, I have never got a grip on English let alone proper English, and it's the only language I attempt.[:|]

Yeah I recall that cartoon...it was in the National Lampoon in the 70s

• Moderators

Actually, its not English, It's Yat. And the proper phrase is "Pinch da tails and suck da heads". [:D][:D][:D]

The saying came about because if a crawfish is boiled correctly you can separate the tail and the head. You then pinch the very end of the tail and the tail meat will come out clean, no peeling, as with shrimp. You then "squeeze" the head between your fingers, while sucking and the spicy juices and fat will come out. Thus you have "pinch da tails and suck da heads".

All you yankees now know how to eat a crawfish however, I must warn you it takes a lot of practice to do it correctly.[;)]

Now, as far as proper English, us Southerner's are taught proper grammar in school, applying it in real life down here can be a bit tricky. The accents vary greatly within even a thirty mile radius. Everything from Cajun, Ninth Ward, Yat, Southern, Red Neck, and True Country accents can be experienced by driving 20 minutes up or down the road. And yes, all of the above accents sound surprisingly different.

In my best southern drawl, "You all are welcome at our dinner table anytime." And I say that with all sincerity.

• Moderators

My sister in law (that lives with us since Katrina) just read this thread. She thinks it is hilarious.

BTW, she is from Da Parish, ya know. She told me I hadda put dat in wit da accents in the area, because "Da Parish" haz itz own accent if ya know what a mean? I figer some of ya know what Da Parish means, if not some of r local yokels will surely tell yall.

My sister in law (that lives with us since Katrina) just read this thread. She thinks it is hilarious.

BTW, she is from Da Parish, ya know. She told me I hadda put dat in wit da accents in the area, because "Da Parish" haz itz own accent if ya know what a mean? I figer some of ya know what Da Parish means, if not some of r local yokels will surely tell yall.

Some of my best friends are from Da Parish. I am waiting for Rocky & Carlos to reopen. I hope the menu doesn't change. My last exam my cholesteral was a mere 180, so I am due for another heap of their onion rings and a shrimp po-boy.

Tell your sister-in-law that I had noticed the ommission of "Chalmatian" in the listing of accents . . . [:)]

• Moderators

Some of my best friends are from Da Parish. I am waiting for Rocky & Carlos to reopen. I hope the menu doesn't change. My last exam my cholesteral was a mere 180, so I am due for another heap of their onion rings and a shrimp po-boy.

Boom,

I think Rocky and Carlos may have reopened, and it is cleaner than ever.[:o] Although that never stopped us from eating there. They have the best onion rings around and guess what...I know how to cook onion rings like that. I might have to do that soon.

BTW, Boom I did not get the email from you, so I sent you a pm.

I didn't know that you had friends in da Parish? That's where dtel grew up after his family was forced to move "outta da nint ward."

We do not have HBO so a neighbor taped the Spike Lee Hurricane Katrina documentary for us. We watched the first two hours last night and I was laughing and crying at the same time.

The accents were too much.[;)]

• Moderators

Tell your sister-in-law that I had noticed the ommission of "Chalmatian" in the listing of accents . . . [:)]

You guys don't miss anything.[;)]

I have heard that some of the Rocky & Carlos family members have opened a place on the Northshore. I'm not sure what the name is, but I'll try to find out if you like.

• Moderators

I wish there was some way we could all get together.

If I would have thought about it we could have brought something to cook when we were in Hope.

Although the brisket and catfish were is good as any I have ever eaten.

When Michael comes down here we will have to " feed him up " like my neighbor says. If he don't like seafood there is plenty of other good things to eat .

We will also have to take him to the French Quarter to listen to some music and see the sights, we know a good place to eat there Cafe Mesparos or Central Grocery for a muffaletta. Both of those may be spelled wrong but I know where they are.[:D]

Don't forget the Boudin and head cheese.

Travis

We've got a little place close by that does Cajun and craws every Sat night, never been brave enough to try it, but now that I know the "Pinch the tails, suck the heads" deal, I might go for it. It sure looks good. The owner/cook used to be at a high end place in Minneapolis so hopefully he knows what he's doing.