Would I buy Klipschorns again?

DTLongo

I wanted to share with you a relatively new website that will help your Klipschorns and other speakers shine. You need a high-speed connection and (of course) your computer audio should be hooked up to a quality amp.

The site is www.pandora.com. I stumbled on it two weeks ago. You can build a series of "radio stations" of popular music to your liking. The sound quality is remarkably good. And so far it is free, though they threaten advertising in the near future unless you subscribe.

Pandora sounds great even on the supersensitive Khorns. Try Dolly Parton, for example. Or Les Elgart. Or Tijuana Brass. Enjoy.

Colin, I got to get the wife to fall in love with the first pair, then I can look for the second pair. Thats like when I wanted to get the projector and screen, one of the few times she wouldn't give in, said we didn't need it. So i said well ok, what if I unload some hifi gear, can I spend it on more gear she said yes. So i unloaded some stuff and bought the projector and screen, she can't live without it and openly admits it is one of the best things I have purchased.

And yes the rear corners are just like the front corners. 4' minimum from corner to window, some walls are 5' all the way around

And i live on a 2.5 acre ranch, so no close neighbors [H]

You hear so much about a square room and standing waves, I was quite surprised at how good the Belles sound once I got them in from the corners. The Paradigm home theater is just awesome and the Paradigm Studio 100's are quite stunning in music as well. I currently have the Heresy's in the rear for the Belles, at about 16ms delay. I might just leave the Belles in front along with the Khorns.

My poor head is spinning I am so excited :)

Jack

Jackpod. Looks like a great room to hear your first Klipschorns in. I have listened to mine in large rooms and small rooms, and gone through the " We won't buy that house because it does not have decent corners." The real reason and perhaps some do not recognize it but after trying a lot of different speakers I keep the Klipschorns because They DO NOT DISTORT WHEN YOU FEED IN A GOOD SIGNAL. the reason for our happiness is plain clean sound.

Norm

Well this room was built by me. The wife and I moved to Flagstaff about a year ago (we are both retired from our professions) It was decided that we weren't going to try to find a house with a room for the theater (this was before I decided to get back into Horns after a 30 year absence) We bought the house and ranch property with the intention of adding on. When we moved here the house was 1400 sq ft. I built a 1650 sq ft addition which of course includes the 900 sq ft theater. Right after we moved here I found a spectacular deal on my Belles but it wasn't until after the room was completed (just this last April) that it was obvious that Khorns belonged in those corners. This room is for nothing else but theater and music, there is an adjoining 7x15 room that houses all the components (except for amplifiers) with all the components hidden behind double frosted glass doors on the back wall. Dedicated electrical and balanced audio lines are all included. I have always wanted a room setup like this, now with the Khorns the icing has been put on the cake

"What's up with the center channel listening to stereo music?"

A center channel "anchors" the imaging so that you have a solid center presentation even if you're off-axis. With just two speakers the imaging falls off to left or right if you are even slightly off-axis out of the center sweet spot.

Minimum suggested dimensions for Khorns based on my (subjective) experience: 16' across, 18' room depth, at least a 7' ceiling, sweet seat 12' or 13' out equidistant between the speakers.

"What's up with the center channel listening to stereo music?"

A center channel "anchors" the imaging so that you have a solid center presentation even if you're off-axis. With just two speakers the imaging falls off to left or right if you are even slightly off-axis out of the center sweet spot.

Minimum suggested dimensions for Khorns based on my (subjective) experience: 16' across, 18' room depth, at least a 7' ceiling, sweet seat 12' or 13' out equidistant between the speakers.

Do most of you agree with above room size as a correct minimum? Corners being the key to proper placement as well?

I don't have any opinion regarding an optimum room size for them. Those who have had them in different rooms however tend to agree that bigger is better. In small rooms, and on short walls -- the K-horn bass bins don't sum the bass properly. There is also the problem of having them fire into the room in such a way that the "sweet spot" typically lands about five feet in front of them. I'm a big advocate of false corners, which for less than ideally sized rooms pretty much takes care of both problems -- as long as you can get 12 to 15 off of them.

As to the question of whether I would buy Klipschorns again if I had to do it over -- yes. However, I wouldn't have bought new ones.

In small rooms, and on short walls -- the K-horn bass bins don't sum the bass properly. There is also the problem of having them fire into the room in such a way that the "sweet spot" typically lands about five feet in front of them.

In my tiny little 'Music Room' - which is only 12' X 21' with an 8' ceiling - the Klipschorns have to reside on the short wall. The chair from which I do my 'best listening' is some 12' from the short wall where the speakers are. While there are probably some serious compromises in such a limited arrangement, the system sounds superb. I haven't a clue about bass "summing," but if there were any more bass it would not be a good thing. And even with the 'sweet spot' being well in front of the chair, the systems images very, very nicely.

So, what's my point? Even under less-than-ideal conditions, Klipschorns are fantastic. Don't let 'architecture' keep you from owning - and enjoying - these monsters.

Rob