Would I buy Klipschorns again?

DTLongo

Bought my new 2003 Klipschorns then and a new 2004 Belle center channel then. Would I do it again, especially the Khorns?

Well, I dunno. Having hobbied with this stuff since I was a teenager building Heathkits in the 50's, and so forth, Klipschorns were a lifelong dream. And they do not disappoint but they ARE fussy. They MUST have their corners. And they are very amplifier-sensitive, which has proven to be a real challenge.

And they are a bxtch when you are house-hunting. I moved here in March 2006. I looked at some 50 (!) houses before finding ONE that had what has turned out to be perfect Khorn corners. My previous house had corners but the room was still smallish. That wasn't the reason for moving but the Khorns did really complicate the house-hunt.

Anyway, the short answer to the title question is, YES if you have the room and corners, NO otherwise. In the latter case use lesser, more easily placeable speakers with a subwoofer. On the other hand, I've tried my Khorns with a sub and the combo stinks. The Khorns' own bass eclipses any sub IF you can get that bass out, even if technically speaking the Khorns don't go below 35 hz. I LOVE their pure bass and their effortlessness and smoothness up through the rest of the spectrum, even at loud volumes.

Vintage gear and tubes are probably the way to go with them but tubes are a difficult in a three-channel setup. In my former place I used the Khorns + Belle in a home theater, but they were overkill for that. In my present place I am using them in an audio-only setup. Having run them with some half-dozen HT amps, I have fallen back on a "vintage" old Pioneer VSX-5700S Dolby Pro-Logic receiver I have had since 1990, run in three-channel mode. It is stronger in the bass than newer stuff. It also has pre-out, main-in jumpers so I can run it with an outboard, no-longer-produced, little Radio Shack bass equalizer dating from the 1970's or so. The combo gives the Khorns an extra shove down there. I am going to be a sad little boychick when that old Pioneer finally dies, I hope never.

I can see purists out there cringing with horror out there at this audio manipulation. But what I can tell you is that the combo sounds very pure and great. The Khorn sound, so bolstered, is everything that you have read on these forums. But without perfect corners and excellent amplification, practically speaking forget about it.

Still, I expect these Khorns + Belle will become family heirlooms. That's in part why I bought them and I have a son who values and one hopes will inherit them.

Tom

I'm glad you started this post, as I've been questioning the same thing. I've had my KHorns for 23 years (just acquiring the Belle for center last year) and although I don't have a problem with the corners, I DO have a problem with the amplification, or moreover, the digital format! Up til 1990 (when I bought into the CD rage) I never questioned these behemoths, never thought about crossover upgrades, etc. With analog recordings, they just sounded right..

Well, I'm too far gone to consider switching back..anyway, some of my favorite artists don't put their recordings out on LP..not to start the old CD/LP war..that's not it..I just don't like the way most are recorded, maybe they're not made for horn speakers! And there's just no volume control with CDs/efficient speakers.

So to answer your question..I have no regrets buying the KHorns, but looking back I think I was just as happy with my previous set up, a Harmon Kardon 730, a turntable, and 4 Heresys!!

But I'm not giving up on the holy grail yet!!

Steve

This is a very good question, one I've contemplated myself. The main point for me is regarding the house. I've said this many times before, my house is by far my most expensive stereo component. Yes, while house shopping, my #1 criteria has been proper corners for the Khorns. Well, I did find that in my current home, but I probably did pass up some other nice homes as a result. Not that I'm complaining about my house -- we got lucky as we love everything about it -- the stars just aligned for us.

In my opinion, Klipschorns are about as good as it gets. Maybe there are others out there that are better, but not by any significant amount. And if there are better, I'm sure the cost is magnitudes greater especially when amplifcation gets factored in. On the other hand, maybe Klipschorns are as good as it gets, at least for me anyway. There must be a reason they've been around for 60 years. It is true that good corners are important, and proper amplification can make or break the system. But I think I've found the proper combinations to make these things astonish. And with their efficiency, it helps bring down the amplification expenses.

However, all of these things will pale in cost comparison the the corners required -- the house. I've wondered while house shopping in the past if it would be dollar wiser to abandon Klipschorns, buy the best house value regardless of corners, and then go out and get some big dollar speakers to fill the Klipschorn void. Despite the relative bargain and huge performance-to-cost ratio of the Klipschorns, maybe the alternative ends up being the better "bargain."

One day I'll likely have to shop for a new house and I'll definitely be looking for proper corners and room for the Khorns, but in the back of my mind I may have to think about this other option as a contingency plan if that dream-home pops up, and it doesn't happen to have proper Klipschorn corners. If I get lucky (again) maybe I'll be able to have my cake and eat it too!

My instincts told me that new 2004 LaScalas would be the way to go - with SETs and no sub. Someday, with the right house/room/corners I will have KHorns, but my spidey senses told me that my current home would not engage the KHorns adequately. Someday... its always great to see someone who has worked it out. Pictues?

Gentlemen............Please continue this thread............Now we are getting down to the nitty gritty........these are the type of comments this old fart wants to read, and have a chance to ponder............In my opinion good, honest comments, without the rah rah of MINE IS BEST..........Just lay out your real views............No comparision to which is the best way to power your Khorns............Just how and why they worked, or didn't work for you in your present location.................I guess if you stop and think about it for a minute, maybe this should have been the question to ask all along.............POST Gentlemen POST.........

very interesting read...as time has gone by for me I find several Klipsch speakers bring me enjoyment...Klipschorns are expensive and the gear I want to go with it can be expensive but...I really do like the Klipschorns...sound wonderful...GF who likes to rearrange the rooms often while helping me out asked where we could move the Klipschorns once...I said, nope, that's where they stay...those corners belong to the speakers.

My Klipschorns and NOSValves VRDs and JuicyMusicAudio BlueBerry MkI (perhaps with the Cambridge Azur 640C v1 and Technics SL-1300 with Shure V-15 TypeIII) sound great together...I vote to keep them.

Bill

Here is a pic. I will say, there is a certain pride of ownership that goes along with these babies. I unabashedly describe them to visitors as the best speakers in the world. Maybe, maybe not, but they surely are up there among the very best and anything audibly "better" gets you into the tens of thousands of dollars range. In that league the Khorns are a bargain at their price.

I will share with you one sweet moment. I volunteer with and am on the board of directors of a professional symphony orchestra, the Mid-Atlantic Symphony (www.midatlanticsymphony.org), about to start its tenth season. Our conductor and music director, a rising star, was here and auditioned the Khorns and Belle with some favorite music of his, Brahms Symphony #1 as I recall. He was mesmerized. Couldn't get enough of them. Said he had never heard sound reproduced so satisfyingly. Said he can't wait to hear them again. Nice.

Since I'm a new Khorn owner I will toss in my two cents.

Yes....I would buy them again. But I do have sort of a love/hate relationship with them right now.

I am using them in a 3 way system with a cornwall in the center. The other cornwall is also in the room and they run off a separate amp so that I can just run the cornwalls or the Khorns, or 3 way.

The cornwalls always sound fantastic, just "small" compared to the khorns. Not much smaller, but not in the same league. But....they always sound excellent.

The Khorns on the other hand are the "microscopes" of my system. They can be excellent or horrible by just changing a CD.....and once you put them in the corners....you're about done. The only thing you can do if they don't sound right is take out the room measuring equipment and start redecorating the walls and ceilings. They can be tough to get right. I got lucky, my room pretty much cooperated and the distances to the listening area ended up "in the ballpark".

Right now I'm playing with networks and different components and beginning to approach a point where I am much happier with them. I think that once I get them the way I think they need to be in my setup, I will be totally satisfied.

I agree with the comments made above...no sub (that's just IMHO). I was using subs with LaScalas and had more bass, but a muddy mess that I thought sounded good till I switched to the Ks. The Khorn presents very clean and plenty of bass..."if you can get it out" (nice comment).

I guess if you are not the tinkering type, you'd have to be very lucky to just hook them up and have them be perfect given their dependencies.

Still, I think they are a fantastic speaker and design and I am for sure never going to sell mine. Definitely much more love than hate.

Interesting post Tom.

I have HORRIBLE corners and a lousy room but I do have excellent amplification and source(s) which more than makes up for it. Some day I'll have a good room too.

I've had my Cornwalls since 1980 and they're easy to please. They were great with high powered SS for over 20 years and even better now with tubes. The Khorns are much more sensitive to both amplification and source and also to the quality of the recording they're fed. There are some recordings I will only play on my Cornwalls. EVERYTHING seems to sound good on the Corns but nothing beats the Khorns and a great recording.

Although most of you know I didn't have to pay for my Khorns, I would replace them in a heartbeat if they somehow dissappeared.

Tom - I've heard your system with your gorgeous Khorns and while it does sound great, you really would be amazed to hear it with high quality amplification and sources. I think it would blow your mind!

Would I buy them again?

Heck yes... Actually, I did!

Several years ago (back when I was young and foolish - in my mid-50s), as I was haunting one of the local audio snob shops, the snob salesfolks convinced my that I should dump my K-horns in favor of something more modern. So, I sold to a close friend my early-70s K-horns that I had lovingly redone in Honduras Mahogany. He gleefully hauled them away and is still enjoying them every day.

I then set out on a quest for new - more modern - speakers. I listened to everything I could find... Thiels, NHT, whatever (I forget... it's been nearly ten years ago). They all sounded like there had been a blanket thrown over them... to my ears they were dull and uninvolving.

So, not being able to get my original K-horns back, I began another quest; this time for some 'real speakers.' I finally found the '97 oiled oak ones (new in the boxes) at a price I could afford and had them shipped to me. I still remember the day they arrived...

My house has a dedicated (although smallish) 'Music Room' with just the stereo and wife's 7'4" grand piano. Tubes galore that seem to be 'just right' for PWK's masterpieces.

I'll not be fooled into such folly again... there will always be K-horns in those corners (even though my treasured '97s are presently in transit to Flagstaff, and '84 walnut K-horns are now in those corners... but that's another story).

Cheerz,

Rob

DTLongo:

Yes I would purchase them again. Yes, I would modify the house again. Yes I would use the Corwall center channel again. Yes, I would install the Dean crossovers again. Yes, I would install the RSW-12 Sub again. The sub makes a world of difference with my system. Yes, I would junk the tubes again. Yes, I would junk the records again. No, I will not remove the equalizer. No, I will not remove the expander/compander. No, I will never ever listen at low or medium volume levels. Yes, I will save the records as antiques. Yes, I will turn my equipment on/off and instantly listen to music with no warmup. Yes, I will keep my 100 dollar Kenwood linear tracking turntable to input records into the computer system with my new super Audio Technica 25 dollar cartridge.

No, I will not replace the old vibrating walls, doors, windows, pictures, and paneling.

The question is "How long will the K-horn and Cornwall speakers survive?

JJK

I volunteer with and am on the board of directors of a professional symphony orchestra, the Mid-Atlantic Symphony (www.midatlanticsymphony.org), about to start its tenth season.

Tom, that is very impressive! Congratulations on having such recognized talents and respected position in your area. And, those are great plaudits from someone who would know great, realistic sound when he hears it.

Larry

P.S. Yes, I'd definitely get Klipschorns again. I've always been able to find the right pair of corners when I looked long and hard enough.

I used to be frustrated with my K Horns, but after building false corners that looked decent, I never worried about corners again. Turns the K Horn into something that you can live with.

I am now faced with the very question of this thread. I have a pair of "other" speakers that I love and have to decide whether or not to complete my K Horn project (JBL Drivers, active crossover, tri-amped, etc). They can sit next to the other speakers in a dedicated room. Not sure which way to go. If the parts sell, I'll probably abandon the whole thing, if not, I'll have K Horns again (or something similar with many mods).

Chris

I have always wanted Khorns since I was a little kid, when I would spend hours listening to my uncle's hooked up to tubed Mac gear.

I finally got mine 5 years ago. Started tinkering with them this year, new crossovers, new tweets. Me and the boys are just about to install backs on them like the new anniversary models had in Hope. My corners too are not perfect.

Recently, the speakers have given me and my boys a fun project to do together, then sit back and enjoy the new results. I figure that they will be passed down to my kiddos, and later to theirs. Not many other speakers can claim that much passion and quality.

I've never heard 10-20k $ speakers, don't necessarily want to. But I've heard a lot of speakers that were more than mine were ($1200 5 years ago), that did not even come close to them.

Also good to hear that I was not the only one who house shopped for a good room. Our realator here got a kick out of that. She had never seen such speakers. We would walk into a house, tell us: Look, there are some built ins for your audiogear. If I was using the old Blose, 25 in tv set up like in college, then yes...

Now that she has seen and heard, she understands.

So do the boys, the wife, and I.

Paul

Can you envision Oiled Oak Khorns in these corners?

Nice looking room. That looks made to order for a Belle connected to a PWK mini-box for a center channel. Looks like the Ks are going to be quite a ways apart. It's going to sound a lot nicer having the Ks in that big room. Enjoy.

The room is 30' wide, unfortunately it is also 30'deep, but with the amount of furniture I have in a semi circle in the back it really doesn't sound too bad and since I have absolute WAF for sure in this room, I can do any type of acoustic treatment I want/need. I am very lucky to have a good wifey who lets me do what I want.

I want to play with different options, I also have a pair of Heresy TSR's, I have a pair of K77's for them, so I can try a Belle or the Heresy's in the middle, maybe putting the Belles in the rear.

I could try the PWK mini-box or my 2 channel preamp is a Mac C39 which has a center channel output too

Lots of things to try