New to the Forum...

stringmun1

Hello everyone...I'm new to the forum...Klipsch in the house since 1977. Just ordered a pair of Quicksilver Horn monos to drive my '77 Heresies...and found a Quicksilver Full Function Preamp as well...waiting for FedEx like a kid @ Christmas!

stringmun1

Heresies are great. I have a pair myself. With your amp chain, you might think about upgrading. Not sure of budget, WAF, space issues.

I regularly rotate a bunch of Klipsch stuff through, space depending (my wife gave up long ago) ...

I have a pair of Cornwalls.

And a pair of Klipschorns.

And a Belle.

A pair of KG4's ...

And moved a few other pairs.

It's all good. From the smallest to the biggest. What's important is that "you got the memo" [:P]

Welcome aboard!

From your list of components, it appears you're pretty experienced as far as quality tube amps and a pre goes with your Heritage loudspeakers...just 'cause you're a new member doesn't mean you're new to valves and horns, and you could probably teach a few forum members here who are considering making the switch from transistors to triodes (or pentodes...PP or SET it's all good)!

Welcome to the forum. You're just going to LOVE your Horn Monos. I just received news from my local Quicksilver dealer that Mike Sanders is contimplating the development of a new, full-function preamp. Could be out by next year. Now that's something worth waiting for.

Speaking of waiting, I've got about 4-weeks to go before my Cornwall IIIs will be ready. The wait is killing me!

William

Welcome aboard, you probably don't realize what you have joined, but a few hundred here and there and we will have you all fixed up. [:D]

If your heresys are 1977, then they could probably benefit from having the capacitors replaced with newer ones which will actually work the way they were intended. The older ones are probably off value by a fair bit. It can be done on your own with the use of a soldering iron which is not a big job. If you post the Type of network to this forum, somebody will be able to tell you which caps you need. The Type of Network is written on the crossover inside the speaker, eg. Type E or E2 which have different values to reflect a different squawker in subsequent Heresy models.

Enjoy the Quicksilver monos and your heresys.

now there's 3 of us on the forum, with a Full Feature pre

OK, I'll bite since I don't know -- what's a "full feature" preamp? Thanks --

LarryC.......The Full Function Preamp is the name of Quicksilver Audios tubed preamp. Duke can probably fill you in better than I can but I think it may be 5 years old. My preamp is #504 and I don't know what the total run was. I believe it has now been replaced with a line stage preamp.

Chuck

Hello everyone...I'm new to the forum...Klipsch in the house since 1977. Just ordered a pair of Quicksilver Horn monos to drive my '77 Heresies...and found a Quicksilver Full Function Preamp as well...waiting for FedEx like a kid @ Christmas!

stringmun1

Welcome Stringmun1.....I have horn monos as well as the Full Function Preamp pushing a pair of LaScalas. Hope you read the Stereophile magazine review on the horn monos.....very complimentary. Go to Quicksilver Audio and follow the link to the review if you haven't done so.

Chuck

• 9 months later...

An update to my 2006 Quicksilver posting...

Have listened regularly to my Quicksilver Full-Function Preamp/Horn Mono pair (pushing my '76 Heresey pair) for about 10 months now.

WOW!!!

I recently retubed all three pieces.

Pre: NOS Amperex Bugle Boy (treble clef) 5AR4, (2) NOS 12FQ7's (no logos), smooth-plate Telefunken 12AX7 (phono section), smooth-plate Telefunken 12AU7 and ribbed-plate Telefunken 12AX7 (line section).

Amps: Telefunken 7247's and 1960 RCA blackplate 6L6's.

WOW!!!

Hal

Stringmun 1.......Glad you posted. I have to retube the preamp and I wondered if anyone was experimenting any or just reordering from Quicksilver. How did you arrive at your selection for the preamp tubes? Was told one of the preamp tubes is getting hard to find. What did you notice after changing the tubes from originals?

Chuck