Poor customer service at Klipsch

Espguitars

It was to my surprise to have experienced such bad customer service at such a high quality company such as Klipsch. This started over a month ago, so I bought a if I remember correctly its called the media center pro ultra which is the 5.1 surround sound system like 2 years ago and just had it fail on my one month ago. So the warranty was up so I called Klipsch and talked to a representative who told me that my warranty was up and I had to pay a flat fee of $60.00 so I went ahead and did just that. Then I also had to pay UPS to ship it there which was another $20.00 on top of that. So they get it in they tell me if will take a month to fix the problem, so Im okay that sucks but what can I do right. So a month and a couple of days go by so I call them yesterday morning being 10-3-06. So I get another representative and see well where is my amp as I would like to use my speakers again and this guy tells my and I quote Oh well t it turns out that they decided its not worth fixing that unit so we went ahead and ordered an new one from like Japan or something like that and its now going to take yet another month before you get because there on back order. Now at this point I was pissed!!!! I mean no one e-mailed me and or called me or anything. For all I know Joe Blow could have gotten these speakers and I wouldnt have the slightest clue. I mean thank god I called right!!!!! I find this really ridiculous I mean for such a big company as this to have this kind of service. I mean does anyone lese out there agree with me here, or am I being out of line. Its not that its taking two months to get it back, they cant help it if they had to send away for a part, its the lack of communication thats annoying. Anyways I thought to vent this and see what other consumers out there think? Thanks for listening

[:@]

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

David

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can understand your frustration with having gone through all this trouble. I too recently sent in a sub and had to pay a shipping charge, Had to wait a couple weeks and I too had to go out of my way to inquire about service status. Not only did I get my sub fixed, I got it replaced and it happened in a super efficient manner. Aside from my personnal experience you stated yourself that Klipsch is a large company and such large companies have many customer repairs. Also keep in mind that the Klipsch repair center wont always have all parts available at any given time.

I work for Best Buy in the computer repair center and have seen personnally that large companies have a large customer base. On one hand I can see your frustration but on the other your not the only customer that has had this problem. I also think that 60 Bucks for a new replacement sub is a fantastic deal condering that Klipsch will more than likely toss your old sub in the garbage. It's their loss and your gain. You say "out of warranty"? Considering that your warrently is expired, many other companies would charge you full price for a starit out replacement. Despite the time delays, I think you got a great deal on getting a replacement sub for 60 bucks.

I also think that 60 Bucks for a new replacement sub is a fantastic deal condering that Klipsch will more than likely toss your old sub in the garbage. It's their loss and your gain. You say "out of warranty"? Considering that your warrently is expired, many other companies would charge you full price for a starit out replacement. Despite the time delays, I think you got a great deal on getting a replacement sub for 60 bucks.

Ding ding ding, what Sesante said.

Additionally, I don't know what kind of work you do, but if you do any kind of work where you deal with others, reflect back on this when something comes up that you don't have the supplies/tools/expertise/parts for and it takes you longer than you anticipated. Does that mean all the sudden that YOUR service sucks or perhaps, did you promise more than you should have *before you saw the entire problem* as evidently the first person you spoke to evidently did?

If so, then isn't it more fair to say it's an individuals (person) problem at Klipsch where perhaps he should have said "send in your unit, we'll look at it and THEN give you an answer"

As it was, seems to me he tried to give you what he thought he could provide and was wrong (perhaps a phone call at that time would have been nice)

I've sent my watch out to the factory service center. They've had it for almost three months now... THREE. how long does it take to clean a silly watch? It's taken them 2 months just to GET it on the bench and give us a price. Once they got the 'go ahead' it's (so far) taking another month with no watch showing up yet.

I would think they HAD to have the watch apart to see what it needed (to quote an accurate price) and if it's already apart on bench, why is it taking so long to finish?

I don't know, I don't really care, and here's the key... "I just want it done RIGHT the FIRST time"

I can't tell you how many times I've been impatient on wanting something back. Finally I learned years ago after REDOING many things... I'll tell them "I don't care HOW long it takes you to do it, just make sure you do it RIGHT so we won't have to do it again"

I've been much happier with things since.

[:D]

Espguitars... I am new here... and I can see the communication issue being annoying. However, there are some companies I want to talk to, and try as I might, I am totally unable to get someone on the line to assist. It amazes me, but I think with our disposable culture, and low margins, it has become the norm.

I think Klipsch is crazy to host these forms (maybe crazy like a fox, but still crazy :-). Most forms degrade to people with an axe to grind, and it says something for Klipsch products that they encourage active communication about their products and services. Even here, someone from Klipsch has stated you were not treated correctly, and they will work to fix that. Annoyed or not, in this day and age, I think that is pretty encouraging.

A big reason why I am returning to the Klipsch fold (after a few decades away) is to get away from the flavour of the month stuff and back to a company with good solid design who stand behind their product.

Hi David,

I apologize for your frustration, and yes, you absolutely should have been contacted. I will pass along your post to our customer service group.

Thank you!

Welcome to the forum espguitars. [:)]

IMO, of course you did the right thing by posting your lousy customer service experience on the company's web site. It's also understandable that a large company such as Klipsch has some things fall through the cracks.

Way to go Amy by acknowledging the situation and letting espguitars know that his complaint hasn't fallen on deaf ears.[Y]

While I can see being frustrated by the wait, but it seems to me that they are certainly doing good by you.

There is far, far worse companies out there whom you will eventually run into.

Microsoft, Comcast, or your bank, for instance? Try their customer service and see how you like it!

Thank you sir! may I have another?

The real question is how much more money is the consumer willing to spend on better customer service?

I agree a method of contact should have been in order when it was discovered that the unit would take longer than expected and that a different course of action was being taken, but I also understand that it costs money to do this. And then I ask myself if I would be happier to spend another $10 up front to fund the extra service...

In my opinion, the only time to get pissed is when the customer service just hangs up on you...

The real question is how much more money is the consumer willing to spend on better customer service?

I agree a method of contact should have been in order when it was discovered that the unit would take longer than expected and that a different course of action was being taken, but I also understand that it costs money to do this. And then I ask myself if I would be happier to spend another $10 up front to fund the extra service...

In my opinion, the only time to get pissed is when the customer service just hangs up on you...

Customer service communications for a fee!??!? ...WHO I gotta disagree with you here. He did pay... upfront .He should have been kept up to date on his problem. The man-hour cost to send an e-mail that provides an up to date status when the situation changes is minimal. The consumer should expect this as a function of the service. I had a similar experience when I had to order a woofer for my RB 15 when the basket broke. I put a lengthy post on it here as well. This is the type of word of mouth little awe sh!t that can get a company's rep tarnished. If Klipsch' quality control were ISO 9000 registered entity this would pose a problem, it would mandate corrective action and effectiveness follow up requirements. Granted this is a minor incident but the consumer/customer more than has a right to voice his/her grievance regarding perceived poor service. I give Kudos to Klipsch for standing up and getting the guy taken care of but communications or lack there of are details that cannot be overlooked. IMO he had the right to post here for this issue. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Invariably, everyone will screw up a few times in their lives. It's their sincerity and effort that make the difference. That you are getting a brand new unit as opposed to a repaired one speaks toward those intentions. You have a right to have been disappointed, but you should acknowledge Klipsch's efforts as well.

My input would have been "You screwed up, but thanks for making it right." But your input, for what it was, does express your feelings, and I am sure Klipsch is glad to know it. From all appearances, the posts on this forum indicate Klipsch really cares. Good or bad, they want to hear your opinions and serve you well.

Good communication is the cornerstone of customer service. Frankly in this instance someone missed the opportunity to deliver the good news that the out-of-warranty system was going to be replaced with new product given a slightly longer delivery time.

On the other hand try getting in touch with Magnavox... about anything. It is impossible by my experience.

• Moderators

I'm not here to make excuses for Klipsch, but I do want to give a little perspective. We are a "large" company, in that we have a large consumer base, especially with the ProMedia line. However, we are still a "small" company, going through growing pains, and expanding by the day. Sometimes it's difficult to keep up, especially with the new acquisitions and the new responsiblities that follow.

We still answer our own phones and emails--we do not "farm" out our customer service, so the people you speak with really work in this building--and it's dedicated few. Our staff is (hopefully) going to expand to fit the demands of our new challenges soon, and this type of feedback is invaluable to ensure that the extra staffing is absolutely warranted. If we were perfect, that may never happen [:)]

At any rate, I do appreciate hearing about experiences, good and bad. That's why we have the forum.

I just wanted to take a moment and thank you all for your input.

Dave

There ya go man. Just sit back and enjoy for now. Stick around the Forum- there's some awfully good Klipsch info and people here. Some of my best friends have been made right here.

Michael

I'm not here to make excuses for Klipsch, but I do want to give a little perspective. We are a "large" company, in that we have a large consumer base, especially with the ProMedia line. However, we are still a "small" company, going through growing pains, and expanding by the day. Sometimes it's difficult to keep up, especially with the new acquisitions and the new responsiblities that follow.

We still answer our own phones and emails--we do not "farm" out our customer service, so the people you speak with really work in this building--and it's dedicated few. Our staff is (hopefully) going to expand to fit the demands of our new challenges soon, and this type of feedback is invaluable to ensure that the extra staffing is absolutely warranted. If we were perfect, that may never happen [:)]

At any rate, I do appreciate hearing about experiences, good and bad. That's why we have the forum.

Amy is HOT right now to me!!!!