Cornwall IIIs, to rewire or not...?

WPM

Okay Folks,

Help me out here. I recently purchased a new pair of Cornwall IIIs, and while I do not think they need any improving, I received an e-mail from the North American distributor of DNM cables and he said that internally rewiring them with DNM Reason will dramatically improve their sound (is this possible?).

I already use DNM cables for all my cabling, and think it is the finest cable I have ever used, but am I insane to think, or even attempt, rewiring a new pair of Cornwall IIIs with this stuff?

I'm not entirely convinced that I want to mess with a brand new pair of speakers, either, especially when I am already in love with their sound, but the possibility of taking them to another level does sound intriguing.

So, my question is, has anyone out there rewired any of their Klipsch loudspeakers with DNM Reason, and did it make a difference? Please, share your experiences or just comment on the whole idea. Thanks.

William

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, it would be insane.

1. the speakers are under warrantee

2. you like the sound

3. wire will make little difference, if any at all

4. It sounds like DNM is either con artists and selling snake oil to the ignorant or they are ignorant themselves

Enjoy the speakers,

-Tom

While I wouldn't bother re-wiring new speakers (didn't Klipsch use Monster? - I REALLY hate Monster as a company, and that would be reason enough!), still, I'd probably just be too lazy and complacent to actually do it.

Yes, I have Kimber silver interconnects. I LIKE Kimber (although VERY overpriced IMO)Very noticable improvement.

I even have silver cabling between my mid driver and the crossover! Takes the scratchy copper-wire "bite" out. Those of you who know what that is probably won't argue.

You, however, are free to do as you please.

DM

I wasn't trying to "dis" Kimber, just a cost/benefit analysis and personal decision. GREAT QUALITY product(s), I would definitely agree!

Somthing stuck between the ears, that says "no way, I'd pay those prices". Not so sure my system is hi-end enough for those products. I've stuck w/Monster cable over the years, and pro-series Tsunami RCA's. Now if you can recommend better products that don't require a mortgage, I'd love to hear them.

I must live in a cave!

Had stock wires in my 1979 LaScalas until couple months ago when I put new networks in them. Redid the whole shebang. Sounded fine with the old wires in there.

Now this might get me crucified... the wires I've got going to the HF and LF of the Jubilees are some old 15 year old clear jacketed 12g wire I bought at Home Depot. What makes it a bit more intriguing to me is (and don't tell JC nor Mark this) the dog gnawed on the wires (years ago) and there are "divits" ALL up and down these wires, going all the way down to the bare wire in places. The sheathing is nicked, looking like a knife sliced into it at an angle. Bare wire is exposed in several places, though the sheathing is still there to cover it (like a flap).

If anyone is a candidate for some premo wires, it would have to be me but I'm still happy as a pig in slop, even with these perforated wires!!

Daddy Dee,

I agree with all of you. I don't feel the need to change one thing. I was just curious if others had heard of this mod. The CW-IIIs sound just beautiful the way they are, stock. Thanks.

William

I must live in a cave!

Had stock wires in my 1979 LaScalas until couple months ago when I put new networks in them. Redid the whole shebang. Sounded fine with the old wires in there.

Now this might get me crucified... the wires I've got going to the HF and LF of the Jubilees are some old 15 year old clear jacketed 12g wire I bought at Home Depot. What makes it a bit more intriguing to me is (and don't tell JC nor Mark this) the dog gnawed on the wires (years ago) and there are "divits" ALL up and down these wires, going all the way down to the bare wire in places. The sheathing is nicked, looking like a knife sliced into it at an angle. Bare wire is exposed in several places, though the sheathing is still there to cover it (like a flap).

If anyone is a candidate for some premo wires, it would have to be me but I'm still happy as a pig in slop, even with these perforated wires!!

those perforations release the distortion out into the atmosphere, don't they?

Definitely leave them alone. It would be different if the wiring was 20 years old and oxidized clear through.

As far as old Heritage goes, leave it alone too -- the wire is tin coated copper and is probably as good as it was the day it left the factory. If you feel compelled to change it out, I recommend the Supra 1.6 or 2.5 from Madisound. Marketing hype aside, it's a high quality product, not hideoulsy overpriced, and similar to what you are replacing.

http://www.madisound.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?cart_id=4294040.22977&pid=1514

Silver, copper, and tin plated sound different. Personally, I think replacing the stock tin plated wire with straight copper is a downgrade.

I use the Kimber 8TC between my amp and Klipschorns. No, it doesn't sound the same as Home Depot wire.:)

Now that I think about it, maybe I have. I once tried some 14 AWG magnet wire. Aren't coat hangers coated with enamel? It didn't sound the same as the stranded wire I compared against it.

You need to change conductor type or use something with a different dielectric to hear a difference. Comparing copper types using different dielectrics isn't much difference, but it's there.

...by the North American distributor of DNM cables, too. Yep, the Funks got me hooked on DNM too.

I think replacing the old lamp cord with the DNM made a *huge* difference. I've also done other tweaks to my Cornwalls: see here for details.

But my speakers were 28 years old when it was done. I have no idea how it would affect new speakers. But the copper Reson cables have an amazing ability to get out of the way and let the music through, and I'm willing to bet they're *different* than the cabling that's already in the speakers.