McIntosh MA6100 $400.00 Deal or No Deal?

tom b. 57

I can pick up a mac MA6100 integrated amp-preamp 70 W. per channel for $400.00. I must act quick though. What do you think? Is it worth the money? I know Mac is good but I have no experience with any of their products.

Tom

I think that its a pretty good price. THe bluebook on audiogon gives a high of 900.00 Does this include the walnut case? If so its a really good deal as those can go for a couple hundred easy.

Its a very good sounding integrated.Not the best in the Mac line (the6200 is better) but its a mac and you can always sell it for what you paid which is why you cant go wrong with a mac!

Josh

I did a google search and found that to be the most common price. A few were in the 300 range, and a few in the 550 plus range. So it's not the deal of the day.

I personally think 400 bucks can buy more amplifier.

i own a couple of 5100's and i have not heard a better solid state sound on my klipsch. it seems they were designed for each other. i have never heard the 6100. i don't need that much power. :)

you will have no trouble getting your money back if you don't like it. go for it. please let us know what you think if you get it.

Hi,

Price is subjective as it really depends if it is fully operational and the condition. Does the glass have little bubbling (also known as pearling) along the top and bottom rails? Any bubbles, rust on chrome, channel distortion? Manual and/or wood case?

All of thses variables play a big part in the price. One just sold for over $800.00 and most seem to average $400-$500 again depending on the condition and who is selling.

If you are not sure, than take some time to research. Localick-up is a plus as many do not know how to properly ship and that is another can of worms. With patience, you can find an excellent piece of McIntosh. As to the price, even without the cabinet, $400.00 is a very fair price if evrything sounds good and has decent to VG cosmetics.

Good luck and hoping it is a noce unit. I think it is a very nice integrated piece and well worth the price.

My .02

I chose to pass on the deal. I thought about it for a little while and decided I should wait and land me a bigger fish, like a tube preamp first and then maybe a tube amp. I am really interested in checking out the tube sound. From what I have heard from a tube system, I was very impressed. I just don't know squat about them. I have had some questions answered for me from the kind forum members but I think I need to hear more and do some research. I just find it hard to pass on stereo gear that seems like a good deal, and I have always wanted McIntosh, even though I have only heard Mac in a showroom. I guess its the idea of top of the line equipment that gets me going. Thanks for your help.

Tom

• 3 years later...

i own a couple of 5100's and i have not heard a better solid state sound on my klipsch. it seems they were designed for each other. i have never heard the 6100. i don't need that much power. :)

you will have no trouble getting your money back if you don't like it. go for it. please let us know what you think if you get it.

Yeah the early McIntosh solid state really took me by surprise,.

• 1 year later...

I've had a MA6100 for more than thirty years. Except for power outages and moving it has been on the entire time and still works like a champ. I do need to get some new lights, and occasionally need to have the volume controls, etc. cleaned, but otherwise, it has been perfect, and never required a repair. I have it attached to Klipsch Cornwalls that I have also had for more than thirty years. I'd say that, if it's in good or mint condition, it is well worth that amount. You might also consider that, if you ever want to go with a straight Mac Amp, you can use the preamp from the MA6100 for that as well. I once had it connected to a Bose 100 Watt per channel amp and it worked fine. John