Trick or Treaters

PhilMays

How many did you guys get? Any weird tricks? Kids are sooooo cute at halloween? Any of your kids "spew" in the middle of the night.

I'll start. Mom and I took shifts. I walked the first part of the neighborhood with the kiddies, and she took the second shift, trading off duties at the door.

No Tricks, that I can tell.

The kids would have spewed if we didn't take the candy from them at 7:30PM which is what they wanted for dinner and breakfast.

My neighbor is a big wheel with the Miller Brewing Company and was handing out beer in bags to the adults. I thought about changing costumes and going back [;)]

Anyway, I hope all was well and everyone got their kiddies home safe!

Phil

We got ZERO here. We're on a section of street that's tucked out of the way and "between neighborhoods", so our annual attendance varies from a couple dozen to nothing. If I were on foot around here, I would probably skip us too - long walk for just one stop. The light was on and the door was open, but no takers here.....we just spun Phish Halloween concert discs all night.

Our doorbell rang only three times last night. 2/3 of the kids we knew. You never know how much candy to get, do you? When I was a kid, out family used to see hundreds of trick or treaters! We did live on a busy street, though...

I worked until 6PM...Trick or Treating is until 7PM in my neighborhood...first time I wouldn't be home in a while...I thought I was working until 7PM so I obught no candy...stopped quick and picked up $15 bux in Milkyway and Reese's (4 bags...robbery ;)...rushed home and got about 15 kids...they ended up with BIG handfulls of candy each!...:)...this morning I did the quick check prior to leaving for work...no Tricks I could find...

Bill

Yea, our neighbor is pretty cool. He always does the big parties at his house at the pool, with lots'o beer and fireworks[:D]

My problem is that I ate a whole bag of Butterfingers before halloween even started.

Where we used to live is like Fini said. Never knew how many you could get. Either you ran out of candy or had candy until January.

I think later today I'm going to trick or treat my neighbor again[:D]

Zero at my house. I did go to the grocery to pick up some mini snickers and such just in case.

I bet your neighbor is a popular destination for adult trick or treaters.

sounds like Dee and I have some Snickers to eat. Always buy candy YOU like in case no kiddies come.

Our lots are very large, but I thought at least the new family across the street would bring their kiddies over. We've met each other and they're great people. Saw the lady out putting jack-o-lanterns on the front step.

I miss the 'old-time' holidays- remember how great this stuff was when WE were kids!?!

M

Zero at my house. I did go to the grocery to pick up some mini snickers and such just in case.

I bet your neighbor is a popular destination for adult trick or treaters.

sounds like Dee and I have some Snickers to eat. Always buy candy YOU like in case no kiddies come.

Our lots are very large, but I thought at least the new family across the street would bring their kiddies over. We've met each other and they're great people. Saw the lady out putting jack-o-lanterns on the front step.

I miss the 'old-time' holidays- remember how great this stuff was when WE were kids!?!

M

Oh well. That's how it goes. We are the new neighbors in our hood. One of our neighbors get a John Deere tractor with a trailer, puts bails of hay on it and pulls the kids through our neighborhood stooping at homes to trick or treat.

One must get an invitation to ride, and our kids didn't. My wife thought it was rude, but I reminded her that our kids are 5 and 7 and go to private school so our kids do not run in the same circles. Besides the trailer was full. I enjoyed walking with the kids. Had they been with the other group we would not have been able to see our 5 year old cry at every other house in fright[;)]

Ya, it's kinda depressing when people shoe you away for trick-or-treating....but that's why you gotta take a "foreign exchange" student with you to "show them the ropes" - heh heh heh. I didn't have time to do it this year (bloody exam and lab), but considering half the engineering students are Asian it usually makes for an easy holiday [;)]

Ya, it's kinda depressing when people shoe you away for trick-or-treating....but that's why you gotta take a "foreign exchange" student with you to "show them the ropes" - heh heh heh. I didn't have time to do it this year (bloody exam and lab), but considering half the engineering students are Asian it usually makes for an easy holiday [;)]

I hope you explained to them how you get 35% of what ever they collect?

[6]

I came over my parents house, and the three of us took turns with the kids. Some were so cute! The thing that got me was the variation in manners among the kids.

We let the kiddies pick what they like, as we offer a few types of candy. I saw anything from kids that just take one and say "Thank you!" to kids that would just grab two or three and turn around and leave, no thank you, trick or treat, or anything! That kind of thing ticks me off. I was always brought up to have good manners, so I am saddened by the decline in modern society. Most kids were nice though.

I always get a laugh out of the creative costumes. Anybody remember what you used to be when you were little? The ones I can remember are- a frog, karate kid, and a robot (big cardboard box contraption with antennas and wooden buttons)

-Jon

Some of the manners are pretty bad. I don't blame the kids, you just gotta see their parents[;)]

The great thing about kids to me are, no matter what race, religion, or nationality they are, when they are laughing and in their costumes you can't tell them apart. They have not been burdened with the baggage of our society yet, I love it.

Many folks in our town come to our neighborhood. The entrance had about 20 cars lined up on each side of the road from other areas. We are the second house in so it looked like the county fair parking lot out front...again it's all good[:o]

It was a really good year. I enjoyed it!

• Moderators

Trick or treating was so great when I was a kid. The neighborhood was packed, and there was little to no adult supervision.

Does anyone else remember those horrible plastic masks that only covered faces? They were held on by a thin rubber band like strap behind your head that always got caught in your hair, and the mask got all sweaty and gross and were nearly impossible to breathe through? Mine was Snoopy while my big brother had Frankenstien. Ah, those were the days.

It does seem like Halloween is making a resurgence from the "razor blade in the candy" days of the 80's. My neighborhood seemed to be a lot more active this year, anyway, and I managed to give out 3 big bags of candy-- even after spending 40 minutes walking around with Steven.

Ex-Inmate's Costume Sparks Jail Lockdown

Nov 01 6:14 PM US/Eastern

ap.gif

var eproof_apip = new Image;

eproof_apip.src = 'http://keisu.eproof.com/apipAuditor.aspx?s=21';

//-->

By JIM FITZGERALD

Associated Press Writer

WHITE PLAINS, N.Y.

A jail went into lockdown and recounted its prisoners on Halloween night after a former inmate was spotted trick-or-treating in his old orange prisoner's jumpsuit.

"Bad choice of costume," said Susan Tolchin, chief adviser to Westchester County Executive Andrew Spano.

The former inmate, Oscar Aponte, was taking his daughter trick-or-

treating in Peekskill on Tuesday night when a county correction officer

_ also out trick-or-treating with her child _ spotted the familiar

jumpsuit, Tolchin said.

"She

confronted him, and he ran and drove off," Tolchin said. The officer

took down the man's license plate and called authorities.

The jail went into lockdown until a prisoner count established that no

one was missing. Meanwhile, police found Aponte, confiscated the

genuine jumpsuit and let him go.

Aponte was arrested and charged Wednesday with petty larceny and possession of stolen property, both misdemeanors, Tolchin said. She said prisoners are not permitted to take their jumpsuits home when they are released.

There was no telephone listing for Aponte's address.

Aponte was in the jail from May to September for violating probation on a drunken driving charge.

I've ALWAYS loved Halloween but wasn't looking forward to it this year seeings how my wife STILL hasn't moved back home nor has she decided to stay married or not. So, the thought of getting dressed up like I usually do and greeting the kids wasn't very appealing (not to mention not being able to take my step daughter around the 'hood).

Fortunately, my very nice next door neighbors (Mark & Annette) invited me over to their cookout/Halloween get-together where I still got to dress up and help hand out candy. LOL....Mark's sister has a lower leg prosthesis and I can't tell you how many kids she scared the bejeesus out of when she "accidently" let it fall off. I about pee'd in my pants a couple of times. LOL.........

Anyhow.....I saw some really cool costumes, but must admit that the 2 -3 year old little girls in their princess or butterfly or bumblebee or whatever costumes where the most precious.

You know.....in my day we walked. Sheesh - nowadays kids ride in golf carts! How in the hell can you experience that "running full speed to the next house only to trip and have all your candy go flying all over the place" if you're riding in a golf cart??

Tom

I picked up my daughter from school on Halloween, and she asks me to help her make her costume. She wanted to go as an ATM machine! So, we make the rounds at the grocery stores, and score some 4' X 4' sheets of cardboard. Then a trip to Home Dept for paint. We get home about 4:30, and I started painting the cardboard gray. We finally realize that by the time the cardboard is dry enough to work, it'll be 8 PM, and she'd get out the door maybe by 10. Needless to say, we shifted gears and she decided to just wear the Hillary Clinton mask.

NOOOooooooo!!! Not the Hillary Clinton mask!! That's way too scary for any holiday (unless your at Nancy Pelosi's house).[;)]

We live in a nice part of our city and lots of kids get transported up here for the "good" stuff. We had well over 100 of all ages. It was 15 degrees out so every kid was being driven by car. A most enjoyable evening.