Will it take off?

Coytee

Oh ffs.  Put the rubber band propeller plane on the treadmill and watch it take off.  There is lift because the wheels on the ground versus the treadmill mean nothing.  The thrust of the engine(s) is on the air, the craft moves forward, lift happens and it takes off.

I think you bumped the thread and are trying to cast reasonable doubt via pretend angst.

I think you are sadly mistaken.

Oh ffs.  Put the rubber band propeller plane on the treadmill and watch it take off.  There is lift because the wheels on the ground versus the treadmill mean nothing.  The thrust of the engine(s) is on the air, the craft moves forward, lift happens and it takes off.

LOL---that thurst is BEHIND thwe wings and not over them. No lift my freind! no lift, no fly.LOL thrust is not LIFT~~~

LOL---that thurst is BEHIND thwe wings and not over them. No lift my freind! no lift, no fly.LOL thrust is not LIFT~~~

Have you seen the mythbusters that prove me right?

• Moderators

It was not me, without a post I don't know how to bump something.

You're the moderator, look it up.

I think your right Carl, Oldtimer about all we can do is what has been seen, any serious controls for the forum are not for us, which is probably best anyway. We probably would erased half the forum by now, accidentally of course. 

I'm still looking for that button that makes some peoples keyboards have the effect of a stun gun, not that would be fun.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Ok...I am not about to go thru this again :wacko:

Nothing personal................ but the dead horse was beat so much nothing at all was left to the poor thing on this thread

Edited by dtel

It was not me, without a post I don't know how to bump something.

Of course, with those three or four threads a couple of weeks ago evaluating the "emphasis" on post count these days, I'm not sure who would want to waste the key strokes and not get credit for a post in the drive to 5,000. :o  :cool:

so if I bump up an old but long thread from prior to the present site format I will now get credit for long past posts in an old thread? Wow that is desperate. At least this single question got me one closer. Boy I can't wait.?

My family is so happy that I kept my day job and didn't go into stand-up comedy! :wacko:

In the attached screen shot the red arrow shows the "bump" button that does not count as a post when used.  Essentially, the person's post count does not change and will remain the same when the "bump" is used; while the green arrow shows the "post" button that increases the post count by one each time used. 

_ bump button Will it take off.jpg

post-36163-0-47120000-1436397165_thumb.j

Edited by Fjd

Lol!! No, myhtbuster do not trump physics!! Lift createdonly when wing surface has high speed air over it. for large airliner the speed over wing must be about 150mph. Jet thrust occurring behind wingdoesnotflow over wing surface.... Lol!!! Old flyer..but not jets!!

• Moderators

I saw this on another forum I frequent and found some of the commentary interesting. I don't know the answer although I've got an opinion. It WAS interesting seeing the answers/thoughts some people gave (2 pages worth).

I'm copying it exactly like he had it there

a plane is standing on a movable runway( something like a conveyor).as the plane moves the conveyor moves but in the opposite direction.the conveyor has a system that tracks the speed of the plane and matches it exactly in the opposite direction.

the question is

will the plane take off or not?

(ps its been debated to death on other forums, its always fun to see how people present the theory behind there answer)

newton and bernoulli says, "plane will not take off.....no lift."

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/fluids/airfoil.html

It will take off, it has been show many, many times on youtube and wvem an episode of mythbusters. I was a non-believwr once myself. You have to get past the mental stumbling block of the wheels.

The plane will in fact move forward once power is applied and will achieve V1 and take off.

We are prone to think in terms of automobiles, but an airplane has freespining wheels. That is the key to understanding while it will in fact fly.

Travis

P.S. I didn't bump it.

• Like 1