Klipschorns NOT for sale

Deang

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was posted in another thread by DeanG:

In the thread to which you are referring, I said "they are the best loudspeakers I've ever heard". Circumstance may dictate that I end up doing nothing and force me to stay put -- which is perfectly fine with me. If I make the move it will be towards a superior bass horn and large format driver -- which will translate into higher efficiency and lower distortion. No, I don't know if I will like the sound better --but this is my hobby, and as such it simply brings me pleasure to play and pursue lofty and elusive goals.:) When I get to the top of a mountain I start thinking about the next peak -- pretty much how I am with most things in my life. This doesn't mean I'm not content with where I'm at.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey Dean

GREAT DESCRIPTION OF WHAT THIS HOBBY IS LIKE FOR MANY OF US!!!![:D]

For me the JOURNEY(AUDIO IN THIS CASE) is how I learn and it has been full of frustration and excitement and has lead me down many roads/discoveries/interest that I never expected!!!!! AND FRIENDSHIPS WITH PEOPLE I PROBABLY WOULD HAVE NEVER KNOWN OTHERWISE!

For alot of us when something interest us we have a real need to understand it and DEAN definitly fits this description, I mean who else has tried with such an open mind and patience to figure out all the possible crossover modifications(different capacitors and styles).

Anyway Dean I'll sure be interested in your experiences if you do go down the Jubilee Road

mike tn[:)]

Dean... You have false backs that screw into the K horns right??

If you have no takers on the backs ... I may still be interested... in the backs.

Either that, or I need to find someone who will make me fake backs like the 60th anniversary ones I saw and heard too.

Someone in Indy or near by want to make me the backs... Pls contact me.

Ha Ha. No, I would send it to Shawn Fogg and have him upgrade all of the opamps.:)

Richard -- got the email and responded -- did you get it?

I wouldn't be able to afford the EV and would have to settle with the Behringer. Sure, I would probably build a simple set of passives to form a baseline and start playing. I also don't think I would be able to use the top section -- it's just too big. The slanted ceilings would force them over a foot out of the corner and put them three feet apart. I'd probably put the K-69-K on my short list of drivers and ask Al to work with Ed Martinelli to build me a set of 2" Trachorns. I have absolutely no problem running these as three-ways. Neither here nor there at this point -- the Klipschorns are still happily doing there thing over here -- and if they don't sell -- there will be no Jubilees for Deano.:)

Ha Ha. No, I would send it to Shawn Fogg and have him upgrade all of the opamps.:)

Richard -- got the email and responded -- did you get it?

I wouldn't be able to afford the EV and would have to settle with the Behringer. Sure, I would probably build a simple set of passives to form a baseline and start playing. I also don't think I would be able to use the top section -- it's just too big. The slanted ceilings would force them over a foot out of the corner and put them three feet apart. I'd probably put the K-69-K on my short list of drivers and ask Al to work with Ed Martinelli to build me a set of 2" Trachorns. I have absolutely no problem running these as three-ways. Neither here nor there at this point -- the Klipschorns are still happily doing there thing over here -- and if they don't sell -- there will be no Jubilees for Deano.:)

hey deano,

behringer would work....

i have some proto horns (mod'd tractrix of course!) i made that are in between the 402 and 510 that, if i can find them, could use a home.....just adding more fuel to the jet plane on the conveyor that can't take off cause ....ah sorry.....wrong thread....

boy!!

Roger -- the false corners used to be screwed into the wood blocks I added, but now they are bolted. I drilled out holes and put T-nuts into the backs of them. Bolts are run from the outside of the false corner panels, into the holes, and then into the T-nuts. At any rate, to use these corners, you would need to mod your top hat.

post-3205-1381931457155_thumb.jpg

"i have some proto horns (mod'd tractrix of course!) i made that are in between the 402 and 510 that, if i can find them..."

I think I'm going to send Tony Reed over to Valerie's and have him ****** the one off of PK's Jubilee and replace it with a K-J-5, I don't think she'll notice. I'll then have Crites reverse engineer it and see if he'll get a mold made.:)

Seriously, can you tell us the story of that horn?

I have absolutely no problem running these as three-ways.

Yes, got the email (presuming it was PRIOR to my comment about needing 2 people) if after, then answer is no.

Regarding 2 vs 3 way, I'd say there are two things that my dumb ears can differentiate between my old Khorns and the Jubilees.

1. the bass response of the Jubilees (in my situation) step all over the Khorns

2. this one is a bit more nebulous for ME to put into eloquent words, but after talking to Mike about this stuff, I guess it boils down to the fact it's 2 way, vs 3 way. The sound just sounds more 'together'. Much like some of my comments about needing to be 25' away from my Khorns to hear this difference, with the Jubilees, I hear it at 10'. About the only way I can think to put it is the sound melds together MUCH quicker with the Jubilees than the Khorns. Certainly worth a critical listen so one could make the most educated decision one could.

3. I always thought the K402 horn was metal. I even asked if it could be powedercoated (I think they bake at 400 degrees for that?).... Seems it's actually plastic/resin what ever, much like the K-401. Meaning, it'd be an easy slice to take your angle grinder, jigsaw or circular saw and maybe lop off the offending corner that would otherwise, go agaisnt your ceiling? [:o]

Yawn.:) You were running a poopy horn, a driver that takes a crap at 5kHz, and a dinky tweeter. I run a Tractrix wood horn with a driver that goes out to 9kHz and a tweeter that doesn't sound like it's choking on a chicken bone when I dump some power into the system. Instead of me coming down there, why don't you come up here. Bring JC --he can insert a catheter so you don't piss all over my floor.:)

Post generated by Maron Horanzak autopost software. All rights reserved.

Post generated by Maron Horanzak autopost software. All rights reserved.

OB - that's what you missed.

The only criticism to be profferred is that it's a bad impression - everything's spelled and punctuated correctly. Try some Maker's Mark, Dean - you'll get it...

BTW, FWIW, IMO etc... the best bang for the buck in active networks are the Ashly. Really well made and sound very good. Screw the Behringers. They've no business in the signal chain for critical listening.

Dean,

Your pocketbook will hate me - Check this out:

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=11572&highlight=bryston

Suposed to be a big improvement over the Ashley XR4001, which is no slouch.

Just a contextual oversight on OB's part - understandable, I think.

Dean, if you want analog the "entry level" (not remembering SKUs at the moment - X1001?) - pick your number of bands and they're nice.

I was assuming that analog was the path, but after posting I though maybe you were thinking digital - the Protea line might make sense there, but I'm not as familiar with the more basic stuff there that would make sense for you. I've used the 24.24 matrix processor extensively in installs and it really hit a sweet spot all things considered (mic pres, delays, dynamic processing, and that many I/O aren't what you're after though, I think). Shure may have something that is more appropriate - I can't recall offhand if they have something between the DFR22 @ $750ish and the superb P4800 @ $2K.

Please bear in mind that my pricing memory on this stuff isn't great - line item pricing hasn't really been a concern in my dealing with this kind of thing. This post is just broad strokes...

Ashly stuff is really excellent - let me know if you really want to get into the subject. I'd be happy to talk.

BTW, I don't get what the big mystery is with active crossovers. Maybe it's a tie your shoes or ride a bike thing...

crossed posts as usual... stopped to think, got up to pee, paused to calm the 13 year old big dog down - he tried to get up twice and fell down both times earlier tonight... cloudy eyes and failing ears, too. He's a g'boy, though...