my speakers just dont sound good anymore

goblin

Hi I have a pair of chorus ll's for my fronts, a KTLCR for my center. A pair of forte's for my sides a pair of RS3's in the rear and a ksw15 subbing it up.All controlled by a lexicon DC2 and powered by 2 carver av806"s and a TFM-55X. The 55x powers the fronts 380 per channel. The rest are all bridged to 360 per channel except for the sub of course. my problem is movies sound phenominal but my 2 channel music is sounding mediocre at best. Are my choruses just out of date?are there upgrades i can perform to them? Last year I replaced the mids and tweaters and it helped a little but they still arent cutting it.any help would be gretly appreciated.

kevin

What did you replace the tweeter and squawker with? Klipsch or aftermarket parts?

Many older Klipsch speakers benefit from replacing different parts in the crossover network.

Are you sure you have the speakers wired in phase for the Chorus IIs (neg to neg, pos to pos)? Does your subwoofer work when you're in 2 channel mode? Do you have no bass or mids or treble or a combination of all 3?

Hi I have a pair of chorus ll's for my fronts, a KTLCR for my center. A pair of forte's for my sides a pair of RS3's in the rear and a ksw15 subbing it up.All controlled by a lexicon DC2 and powered by 2 carver av806"s and a TFM-55X. The 55x powers the fronts 380 per channel. The rest are all bridged to 360 per channel except for the sub of course. my problem is movies sound phenominal but my 2 channel music is sounding mediocre at best. Are my choruses just out of date?are there upgrades i can perform to them? Last year I replaced the mids and tweaters and it helped a little but they still arent cutting it.any help would be gretly appreciated.

kevin

Chorous are very good speakers.

Can you define what you mean by "not cutting it"?

Is the imaging not there, do they sound harsh, what exactly is wrong?

Th ususal suspect is the capacitors in the crossovers but it may also be the source.

the parts were klipsch, yes they are wired in phase, and yes the sub kicks butt. one woofer sounds much stronger than the other, and the other speaker is much clearer than the other, I know it sounds strange, no pun intended but thats the only way i can desribe them right now.

thanks kevin

I'd switch positions with the Chorus and Forte, and see if the 2 channel system sounds ok. If it sounds phenomenal in surround, but not in 2 channel, sounds like a source issue.

Of course, with all that equipment and power thrown at them, maybe you done did blowed 'em up!

NP - Tesla - Psychotic Supper

yes its alot , but its like owning a ferrari, you know its there, but you never really use it. I never turn my volume to a point of clipping or distortion. the chorusll's are the only ones giving me an issue. I switched the forte's and the chorus ll's and the forte's sound fine. which by the way has anyone heard of klipsch making 4 ohm speakers, because thats what my forte's are.

thanks kevin

yes on the 4 Ohm but no worries...they vary so this should be no problem...you may need the crossovers rebuilt...BEC on this forum does a nice job as do others...(popbumper, ALK, DeanG...) for the solder challenged (me) or you can do it yourself...I believe BEC says that the parts in the crossovers were not too decent to begin with so by now they are out of whack...not overly expensive if you can do it yourself and still not bad if you have to have it done...I am still waiting (on that "extra" money) to have my Quartets redone...I have had both pairs of my (1978 and 1980) Heresys done and it made a WOW difference...and both pair of mine were in VERY nice condition prior to the refresh.

Bill

Well, it certainly seem to be narrowed down to the speakers themselves, so either some of the drivers have issues or the network as suggested by the doctor above. I just added a center channel to my 2 channel system, with some source changes, so I'm not a home theater guru. Hope you get those issues corrected.

I wonder if the 4 ohm Forte's could have been 8 ohms nominal, 4 ohms minimum, which they later specified for the Forte 2's?

NP - Godsmack IV

Definitely take advantage of Capo's offer to check these out. It might seem a bit strange meeting someone online and having them in your home - but this is the KLIPSCH forum, where the members are like family, and we help each other out. Having fellow forum members in your home is not only a safe practice, but invaluable in assisting you solve problems specific to your vintage Klipsch product. There's no better resource for solving problems than right here with Klipsch and the forum members who reside here. It's a very unique place.

Once Capo helps you solve your problem, then stick around and see how to make even better use of your Klipsch[:D]

It sounds like the crossover in one speaker is

shot. I would replace all the caps in both crossovers if they are over

10 years old. We have guys around here who will do that for you and

they do VERY good work.

Agreed.

And too much SS power is a bad thing. Start with upgraded croossovers and then go from there.

yes on the 4 Ohm but no worries...they

vary so this should be no problem...you may need the crossovers

rebuilt...BEC on this forum does a nice job as do others...(popbumper,

ALK, DeanG...) for the solder challenged (me) or you can do it

yourself...I believe BEC says that the parts in the crossovers were not too decent to begin with so by now they are out of whack...not

overly expensive if you can do it yourself and still not bad if you

have to have it done...I am still waiting (on that "extra" money) to

have my Quartets redone...I have had both pairs of my (1978 and 1980)

Heresys done and it made a WOW difference...and both pair of mine were

in VERY nice condition prior to the refresh.

Bill

Very inexpensive capacitors were used in the Chorus II. Great speaker with less than great network components.

And too much SS power is a bad thing.

Whatever floats your boat but just so the narrator of this thread understands that not every person on this board is in agreement. And if that means only me so be it!

Not all SS are equal.

By the way is this something that just happened over night or have you just been having less and less enjoyment as time goes by?

Whatever floats your boat but just so the narrator of this thread

understands that not every person on this board is in agreement. And if

that means only me so be it!

Not all SS are equal.

By the way is this something that just happened over night or have you just been having less and less enjoyment as time goes by?

Too much SS to me for Klipsch speakers is certainly 380 watts per side.

How it sounds is in the ear of the beholder. How hard the speaker

components have been driven is inferred to be considerable in this case

since sound is not pleasing anymore.

Whatever floats your boat but just so the narrator of this thread understands that not every person on this board is in agreement. And if that means only me so be it!

Not all SS are equal.

Too much SS to me for Klipsch speakers is certainly 380 watts per side.

How it sounds is in the ear of the beholder. How hard the speaker components have been driven is inferred to be considerable in this case since sound is not pleasing anymore.

Just an example, I run 425 wpc and it sounds better to my ears than any 50 wpc SS I've ever heard. So just my point that all SS is not nearly equal. Now I realize most of this wattage is just waste but what a grain free, smooth amp. Liquid with slam.

I do agree depending on your equipment and how hard you push that equipment into your speakers things obviously get warn out. And he obviously has something that has failed or failing .

I find it great that you and I share a love for the same speaker and our approaches are completely different as more than likely with our styles of music. Klipsch are great!

Hi, right from the get go these speakers just didnt sound as good as my forte's. I took one back and swapped it with another and it was better, but have never been 100% satisfied like iam with my other klipsch products. 2 years ago I replaced the mids and tweaters and still they just didnt sound clear or equal. I dont have the knowledge you gentelman have, but I do have an ear for sound and these speakers just dont sound right.

thanks kevin