Why Klipsch?

KLIPSCHHOG

OK Guys I've been around this BB for a month or so now and feel I've gotten some great insights on why many of you love Klipsch. Now lets all let everyone know why. There's my question- With all the speakers available out there WHY DID YOU CHOOSE KLIPSCH?

--For me the first pair of good ol' klipsches I heard was a pair of klf 10's. I was working at a REX a/v store and wanted to "check out" the local "competition". I had never heard of "high end" audio components at that time and was floored when I went to the local Klipsch dealer. I heard a pair of KLF 10's w/ a carver amp/pre-amp set-up and a VPI turntable. I thought- this can't be- they sound incredible and he (the salesman) is playing a record on them (I was pretty naive about a/v back then). that kicked me off on my insatiable hunger for better a/v. I finally broke down and put in an application to work there. Got hired the next day and played w/ klipsch every day. Boy those were the good ol' days. When I saw a pair of the 30's in medium oak I couldn't control myself I had to have them. I bought them and now am addicted to Klipsch. No other speaker sounds like them. Every time I audition another pair of speakers I just remember that first day w/ the 10's and how they sounded and know nothing else compares to the raw sound of Klipsch.

------------------

LSU PAINTBALL- We'll cover you with our balls!

Paintball players do it 'till their balls break!

1 Pair KLF-30's

Sonic Frontiers SFL-1 Pre-amp

Carver TFM-45 Amp

Teac AD-4 CD Player

***Needed VPI HW Series Turntable*** Anybody Sellin'?

Very much to what Boa said, but what made me a confirmed believer was in 92 my first stereo was a Pioneer bookshelf system, thats all. I happened by a pair Khorns and the demo on track was Dire Straits, Sultans of Swing. This was the "VERY" first time the hair on the back of my neck stood up, no s*** Smile.gif AAHHHHH...thats why they call em "HORNS" Smile.gif

I still remember these big ole Khorns now hooked up to the Pioneer bookshelf system, my ex-wife shaking her head(Germany 92)...not bad Smile.gif

Adcom followed shortly after for power source.

As you ask, KLIPSCH Smile.gif

This message has been edited by boomer9911 on 11-27-2001 at 10:21 PM

I remember the Khorns from when I was teenager. A friend of the family had one. I couldn't afford them then. A couple of years ago a local Klipsch dealer went out of business and I bought a damaged demo set of Klipsch's now discontinued THX system on the basis of the Klipsch name. Klipsch replaced all the damaged parts. That lead me to this BB, which reignited my enthusiasm for this hobby. Now I have put together two very good Klipsch systems and enjoy music, movies and even TV more than ever. Plus I have this and other AV sites from which to learn and share. Great fun!

------------------

Soundog's HT Systems

This message has been edited by soundog on 11-27-2001 at 10:37 PM

I first heard Khorns in a hi-fi store around 1971, at the time my speakers were 15" JBL woofs in a vented box with a Radio Shack horn tweeter, those speakers were pretty good and vastly better than stuff like ARs, Advents and KLHs, the stuff generally considered good at the time. But the Khorns floored me, I'd never heard such reproduction. A couple of years later a friend bought some LaScalas and that did it, I couldn't listen to his LSs and then go home and listen to my speakers. I remember the guitar solo from "Lakeside Park" literally jumping out of his speakers, it sounded like a Marshall was in the room. Soon I found a pair of used LaScalas, painted white with the basshorn wedge painted black, weird. I bought them for $750. A couple of years later my friend needed dough and I bought his LSs and sold the weird ones. Later on I developed a taste for horn speakers by Altec and JBL and left Klipsches behind though only a few years ago I bought some Cornwalls which I modified with the tractrix mid horn from the model 301 from Klipsch Pro, good speakers those CWs. Now meanwhile my buddy, the guy who sold me his LSs, is listening to Altec 605As but he has a Klipsch jones again, he really missed the treble zing and midrange presence of Ks. So I traded him the CWs for the 605s and we're both happy hornies. Horn speakers are, as a group, superior to other types and I've played with and liked lots of them--Klipsch, Altec, JBL, EV, Edgar,---all aces with me. No doubt I'll buy some LSs or CWs again someday, that or a set of the "small" motion picture theater speakers with the double 15s and the tractrix. Once again, I can't believe how little interest there is here in the pro line, with the Heritages gone those are no doubt the best speakers Klipsch is making now. Who cares if they're "ugly"? Form follows function, no?

My first meeting with Klipsch was in the mid sixties. I used to ride my bike a short distance from my folks house in Torrance, Ca. to Gardena Hi-Fi. Back then of course there was only the Heritage series. I was just enamored with K-Horns and would bring my Beatle alblums in and kick back on the overstuffed couch and dream of the day when I could afford these babies. Always showed up for the MacIntosh clinics that they periodocally had. I was a Gardena Hi-fi groupie. Got exposed to alot of blues, jazz and classical recordings there. Anyways, after starting with Cerwin Vega 217R's with a huge Marantz receiver, then Dalquist DQ 10's, was finally able to get My K-horns in 1980 (new) and added my Belle ctr channel in 1980. Have had a few amp and preamp combo's since, but have stuck with my Klipsch. Thanks Gardena Hi-Fi for putting up with a pimple faced teenager and steering him in the right direction....

Viva Klipsch!!!!!!!!!

Like almost everyone else the first Klipsch I heard was a pair of KHorns. A new friend of mine at the time (old friend now) had them paired to an accuphase DP70 CD player and accuphase E406 amp.

Wow!!!

I had never heard anything like them, but knew the WAF was less than zero and resigned myself to never owning them. So I started with the Quintets, added some KSB 3.1 monitors and then heard the Heresy's.

Sold the quintets and the KSB's and setup my system with the Heresy's. Never been happier - what I call almost hte KHorn sound for a lot less $$$ and in a WAF friendly package.

I love concerts and live music (esp Grateful Dead). I heard a pair of KG4's at a high end audio shop in '85and fell in love with them. I purchased a pair a couple of months later. I now have Cornwalls and Heresys (the KG4's are on loan to a friend).

I think what keeps me coming back to Klipsch is the detail and slam factor. I have not heard any speakers that come close to reproducing the impact of a live rock concert like these bad boys can.

I have given up trying to convince people who frown on Klipsch (without listening to them) that they are awesome. I like them and quite frankly that is all that matters.

------------------

...wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world...

My Home Theater Page

I was fortunate enough to hear Klipsch Khorns vibrate like cellos at an early age and learn the difference between music and sound reproduction.

I bought my big old CWO IIs because they had 15" woofers and cost only $500 for the pair. My roommate was going to drive them with a Carver amp capable of 750 peak watts. I kept the 1982 models because no speaker I have ever heard in the $500 price range has the super-efficiency, huge soundstage, clear mid-range and dynamic range of these puppies. To spot the Klipsch horns in a crowd of speakers at the retail stores, just play a drum, piano or horn solo at louder than normal volumes

cwm7.gif

------------------

Cornwalls & Klipsch subs; leather couch & feet up; lights out & tubes glowing!

For me, it happened in 1977. Not Klipsch just yet but audio nirvana. Growing up, we never had a decent stereo, so I never got a chance to hear what a decent hi-fi sounded like. Then, during my senior year of high school, I had a friend who was 10 years older than me that introduced me to it in a big way. He started out with JVC separates and ESS speakers (remember them?). Shortly thereafter, he went with Carver separates, Denon turntable and KEF 104.2's. This system just rocked! I was hooked and knew I was gonna have a kickass system one day.

About a year later, I joined the Air Force and was lucky enough to be stationed in Germany. It was there that I was saving up to buy my system. While TDY in Ramstein, I got a chance to hear some Belles and La Scalas and was just floored. They made Gary's KEF's sound like the stereo console I listened to in my youth. Smile.gif Of course at the time, these were just way out of my price range. I started out with a Sansui G8000 (built like a tank) receiver, which I wish I still had, a Dual CS-721 turntable, which I still do have and some Infinity Column II speakers.

In 1982, I sold the receiver and bought Yamaha separates (M-4, C-4, T-7) which I still own today. In 1996, the Infinity's really needed replacing and I went looking for some Klipsch to satisfy my hunger. I knew nothing of the internet at that time (and this BB didn't exist), so ended up buying a pair of brand new Epic CF-2's. I loved these speakers. They didn't have the slam that the La Scalas or Belles had, but they had beautiful mids and highs (bass was lacking). Then just in the last 10 weeks, I sold the CF-2's to my sister, while replacing them with Chorus II mains and Chorus I rears. I also have a KLF-C7 center and RS-3 surrounds for movies. About a month ago I found a pair of '76 Heresy's at a garage sale that I have been restoring for bedroom use with my Yamaha amp.

You can say that I am officially a Klipsch junkie and it all started for me after listening to the Belles and La Scalas (still haven't heard the KHorns yet). I'm sure that one day when I'm in a bigger house, I will own a pair of Khorns, Belles or La Scalas. It only makes sense...

Long live Klipsch,

Mike

------------------

My Music Systems

My first Klipsch-gasm was in 1971. A friend and I went to this small, high end shop in Berkeley, CA, checking out stereos, and the salesman sits us down 4 feet in from of these huge speakers, and says they are not the top of the line, but just listen. Well, they were Cornwalls.

He proceeds to put on the 1812 Overture,

and when the cannons go off, our hair is flying, we are pushed back into our seats, and we have the largest, most astonished s#@t eating grins on our faces. (Then, he show us the meter on the amp, barely pushing 1 watt)

Well, neither of us had the budget then to buy, but I never forgot, and I think this year I have made up for it. Heresys, Corwalls and K-Horns.

It just doesn't get any better!

Mike

mike, yea I remember ESS w/ the Heil Air Motion Transformers. Something like "they don't push air they squeeze it" Biggrin.gif remember those sounded a little 2bright but then again that was before all the loud rock concerts dulled my hearing some Smile.gif

we seem to have taken similar paths. my 1st hi-fi I had a lil sansui integrated amp 15WX2 and, after the EV

bookshelves, got me some of them Infinity 2000 w/ the walsh super tweeters on top (360 degree ice cream cone shape). sorry but I opted for a garrard turntable over the bsr standard Smile.gif

come to think of it I may have heard cornwalls in Iowa City earlier when I was around 12, but didn't listen like I should have because I had no way of affording them Frown.gif when i heard them again in Des Moines in '84 the 1st thing I said was "I will own these somehow". thanks to Mastercharge for new college grads with a low paying job, it became a reality!

------------------

My Home Systems Page

I recently bought a pair of cornwalls because I heard them about 15 years ago in a high end showroom in Maine. I was 19 at the time. I remembered how great they sounded and told myself I'd have a pair someday. They must have made a lasting impression because a couple months ago I opened the local classifieds paper the word C-O-R-N-W-A-L-L jumped right out at me! That's a word you're lucky to see once or twice in a lifetime in your local ad paper. I happened to have the extra cash and went to hear them. The owner didn't even get through one whole song on the "Queen - News of the world" CD I brought before I told him I'd take 'em!

A pair of heresys and a KLF-C7 later and I'm really loving my Klipsch.

Thanks for askin'

------------------

My system thus far:

1980 Cornwalls (mains)

1990 Heresy II's (rears)

2001 KLF-C7 (center)

2001 KSW15 (Subwoofer)

SONY STD-D611 (reciever)Kenwood DV402 (DVD)

Sony KV 27V55 (9 year old 27" TV still kickin')

Eyes.gif

This message has been edited by BigBusa on 11-30-2001 at 08:19 AM

Hen I was about 15, somebody gave me an old Grundig console - had the SW radio, phono, and amp. Later it was an old Bogen PA amp, Garrard turntable, and a couple of 8 inch speakers from Layfayette (kit).

Like several posters, I also played the trumpet and later moved on to bass guitar (which is probally responsible for the 4 db loss in my left ear).

My neighbor, a doctor, knew I was into music, and invited me over to hear his system - Cornwalls powered by McIntosh. It was the first system that I had ever heard, that sounded like the band was in the room with you.

WHen I turned 21, and got married, the wife wanted a stereo console. I asked if she wanted to listen to music or did she want some furniture (say what?). I found a store that had Klipsch. We walked out with Herseys, a SAE preamp and power amp, and a Thorens turntable. I could not afford the other Klipsch speakers, at the time.

The system still runs, and I have added on to it in time. I use to mainly listen to rock and roll, but over the years, I have come to appreciate classical, jazz, and blues. I still like to turn it up, but I find I can't play it loud anymore - the ears will start ringing in about 5 minutes.

What I have allways have appreciated is Klipsch could reproduce the spectrum with clarity at about any level (I know the Herseys are a little shy on the low end). I have heard a lot of speakers that get muddy on bass at moderate levels. Some that could not reproduce bells, chimes, and tri-angles. Horns that did not sound like horns. I do not know about Klipschs new line of speakers, but I beleive the reason that the older units did so good, is they were very efficient and you could get away with a smaller amp. Paul Klipsch wrote a "dope from Hope" titled something to the effect, what we need is just a good 5 watt amp. I beleive it!

A little humor - when I was in the Philippines, I had a yardboy and maid (about $10 a week for the both of them). The yardboy told me my speakers were cheap, because they were not JBL or any of the other popular Japanese brands at the time! I never told him otherwise as stereo equipment was a very high theft item.

• Like 1

I had known about the Klipschorn for a lot of years before I ever actually heard them. I think my first taste would have been in '72 or '73. I was blown away by both the sound and the price. Even then they were about $3500 pair here in Canada.

Over the years I have had various nice systems. My last system was a Hitachi SR2004 driving a pair of Pioneer HPM 200's which I used for about 20 years.

In July of this year my wife and I drove the 35 miles to a dealer in Calgary to pick up a pair of Promedia 2.1's for our computer. While we were there I spotted a pair of KLF30's in mahogany and asked him to light them up for me. I had no real intention of buying them but...

Doug was smart enough to put on Louis Armstrong singing "What a Wonderful World", instead of Metallica or some other chainsaw quintet. My wife looked at me and instead of saying we couldn't afford them raised the only objection she has ever made to them:

How the Hell are we going to get them home?

YESSSS!!!

The KLF's are now matched up to an Antique Sound Lab AQ1003DT tube amp(30w./ch Class A - 12AU7's driving EL34's) - U$750.00 would you believe??

This combo is absolutely delicious and I find myself listening to it for hours on end.

Back to the original question:

Why Klipsch? Sound and value. I have heard systems costing several times as much as mine that do not sound nearly as good!

------------------

It is meet to recall that the Great Green Heron rarely flies upside down in the moonlight - (Foo Ling ca. 1304 BCE)

This message has been edited by lynnm on 11-29-2001 at 01:51 PM

Lynnm---A little more off-the-wall history, those HPM Pioneers were pretty good speakers and were designed by Bart Locanthi, a JBL guy hired by Pioneer when they decided to get serious about speakers, ever notice how much they resemble "small" JBLs? While at JBL Locanthi designed many fine drivers and their famous acoustic lenses. While at Pioneer he also designed the TAD compression drivers and woofers. I think HPMs will be collector's items some day; they sound good, the drivers are very high quality and they have a pedigree.

Why Klipsch? Until you have heard Phil Collins "I dont't care anymore" coming from a pair of La Scala's with about a 1 watt input you can't imagine. You are about to have your stomach pulled through your throat. No other speaker comes close (Khorns excluded).

------------------

Home Theater:

Technics SA-1040DX

Klipsch SF1 Fronts

Klipsch KSW12 Sub.

Klipsch SC1 Center

Klipsch SF1 Rears

Panasonic RV31 DVD

Sharp 32" TV

Audio:

Vintage Technics SA 404 Receiver

Klipsch 1976 La Scala's

Klipsch KG 3.5's

KSW 12 Sub

My HPM 200's are still with me and I should sell them because I no longer use them. I cannot deny my KLF's sound better,(otherwise why would I replace the HPM's)- but I guess my HPM's have sounded so good for long I am having trouble letting go.

I guess it is like letting go of a great car even though you have purchased another that is not only newer but whose performance is undeniably better.

------------------

It is meet to recall that the Great Green Heron rarely flies upside down in the moonlight - (Foo Ling ca. 1304 BCE)

mpgwagon

There is no need to be reticent on this board: - If you appreciate the sound of the La Scala you do not need to mince around - Tell us how you really feel <GRIN>

BTW <Ditto>

------------------