Building backs on older (1989) K horns like the new 60th Anniversary ones.

IndyKlipschFan

• 1 month later...

But what I'm confused about is at KlipschFest, I distinctly remember hearing the interior was a redesign as well. That there's something different in the construction other than mere backs being put on. Even looking at the pics of the 60th, the mid horn/driver doesn't stick out as much as my standards - or something like that. I'd like to understand better how exactly the 60th's were built.

Also, I was under the impression that the AK-5 was tailored to the 60th anniv. Khorn structure. There is very little difference between the AK-4 and the AK-5, and I preferred keeping mine as an AK-4.

Larry

Also, I was under the impression that the AK-5 was tailored to the 60th anniv. Khorn structure.  There is very little difference between the AK-4 and the AK-5, and I preferred keeping mine as an AK-4.

Larry

I asked Roy this question and my understanding from his response  is that the 60th anniv Khorn's have AK-4 xovers, except that premium componets are used.

The brochure for the 60's also talks about silver something wires....

Will know more today......delivery is set for 4pm.

Whoo hoo!! [Y]

As a side comment, pay NO attention to the wet, drool spots you might find on the lower left corner of the speaker... I know nothing about them...

Pat we started a trend.. 3 others have done this as well. [:D]

I invented the internet LOL

Seriously Rudy- great job on the tweak. I remember bringing my first Khorns home and my buddy Roger coming over with the nonskid feed and pipe insulation and getting mine TIGHT in the corners. Makes all the difference.

Yes there is another way, just buy the 60th's. THere's a few pair left for lucky buyers.

M

Also, I was under the impression that the AK-5 was tailored to the 60th anniv. Khorn structure. There is very little difference between the AK-4 and the AK-5, and I preferred keeping mine as an AK-4.

Larry

I asked Roy this question and my understanding from his response is that the 60th anniv Khorn's have AK-4 xovers, except that premium componets are used.

SF- I did an upgrade for you at no charge, before they were packaged, I tore out that nasty silver wire and performed our 'braided yak-hair' mod. [:D]

You're welcome. Now don't you dare mod them further without putting a month of solid use or I'm coming over there and .... and. .... and......

Michael

Also, I was under the impression that the AK-5 was tailored to the 60th anniv. Khorn structure.  There is very little difference between the AK-4 and the AK-5, and I preferred keeping mine as an AK-4.

Larry

I asked Roy this question and my understanding from his response  is that the 60th anniv Khorn's have AK-4 xovers, except that premium componets are used.

SF- I did an upgrade for you at no charge, before they were packaged, I tore out that nasty silver wire and performed our 'braided yak-hair' mod. [:D]

You're welcome. Now don't you dare mod them further without putting a month of solid use or I'm coming over there and .... and. .... and......

Michael

So in doing your mod, did you forget to connect my tweeters...or are they really blown?

Last time we were listening to Edgar Winter's 'Frankenstein' at 130 db they were working just fine.

jk 

I think the klipschorn is only rated at 121db max...

Are they really blown? I am sure Klipsch will make good on the speakers... check the wires, fuse, and connections too?..

They look awesome, I hope you get this fixed pronto!

Would love to see pics too of them in your room! And yes, I am jealous!

Michael was kidding Fritz. I sure don't see how they could have blown, there's a polyswitch and resistor in the tweeter circuit.

yeah, I'm with you on the poly switch function...but one is blown...~ ohms on the tweeter...the other just crackles.

I was looking for a fuse or something...couldn't find any.. decided to connect a A new T-35A on the crossover termainls for the tweeter, and the T-35A works just fine...I checked for pulled wires on the tweeter terminals that may have been disconnected during the disassembly for packing, but the leads look fine.

it's definetly one blown tweeter and one trying to die..but can't.

"Would love to see pics too of them in your room!  And yes, I am jealous! "

if you see the room I have them in...you won't be jealous...you will feel sorry for me....my new HT room is close...but not done yet...I have the foundation done...framing....roofing...electircal...AC...heat....just cant decide on windows....wife wants lots of french doors...I want solid walls for obvious reasons.....we are at a stand off.