Building backs on older (1989) K horns like the new 60th Anniversary ones.

IndyKlipschFan

nope. just clarifying it. the klipschorn has no back panels. the walls complete the back panels and are used to complete the horn to the front of the speaker. after that there is no more "horn". now what you get is 1/8 space loading (corner placment) because the horn was designed with 1/8 loading in mind. that is why it must be placed in corner.

if you add the back walls, like roger did, then you are essentially completing what the walls were doing. what this buys you is a little relaxation in the guidline of having the lf section firmly in place touching the walls so that the gaskets could seal and then the bottom of the hf with completes the top of the lf also has to be in place for the horn to be sealed and completely. adding the back panels makes sure the horn does not "leak" and allows some leeway in toeing in the khorns.

hope this helps.

roy delgado

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU... I am feeling pretty good right now.. But, I will be again be honest, it SOUNDS awesome!

Indy...

dude,

you are getting all upset over nothing. you didn't exactly come asking nicely, instead you come on bullying and i don't know of very many people that respond too well to that.

i am sending myself to the corner.

roy delgado

I'm far from upset. Amused, dissapointed, a bit frustrated maybe...

Bullying? I just scanned through the whole thread and that charactarization is baffling. The "sending myself to the corner" comment is funny though, considering the subject.

some of your posts (i am including other threads) have negative conatations (sp?). i have noticed that i seem to get no benefits of the doubt, which is okay with me, i will live. but then to get "a bit frustrated" seems odd to me. but then again, i am president of the odd human club.

I don't understand your motives for posting the way you do here. When simple information would clarify things greatly, you seem to enjoy chiming in with a condesceding one line question or obtuse comment. Why wait so long to give the explanation you just did?

see there you go again. you are correct that you don't understand my motives because you don't know me. i like humor and think that sometimes that is the best way to get things across. sorry if you don't like that but oh well........and why did i wait so long? i didn't know that i had....maybe cause i was busy doing other things. try "the glass is half full".

roy delgado

I'm sitting here on my front porch watching the kangaroos jump down the main street while I am reading all these posts, amazing and amusing stuff. Very entertaining. Why doesn't some one do some testing-'to have a back panel or not to have a back panel, that is the question!' We are 'hearing & feeling' let's see some tests!

Oh I have to go, I've just spotted an emu...that's tonights dinner.

Cheers

Well I was hoping for a little more detail on measurements etc. I am willing to try this, I guess I will just have to lay one of the units down and figure it out for myself. I do have perfect corners, 5ft x 5ft on one side and 5ft x 4 ft on the other. I have no bass issues, My issue is the sweet spot is 9ft in front of where I sit. I want to do this so I can toe-out the top hat to move the sweet spot further into the room...

My issue is the sweet spot is 9ft in front of where I sit. I want to do this so I can toe-out the top hat to move the sweet spot further into the room...

Just an idea... sell your Khorns, acquire some Jubilees. Better bass from the Jubilee right off the bat, enclosed back/sides (like this topic) and of course, the huge 402 horn on top. With the K402 horn, I think that alone would greatly widen your sweetspot (did for me).

Jubilees are only 12 - 18" taller than the Khorns so other than the visual intimidation of the K402 staring at you, it's not REALLY that large of a jump to them.

I'll bet you didn't know I'd be of the above opinion?

[;)]

Paul.... PLEASE..... Put the chainsaw down.... seriously.... Your OK!

hahahahahaha

Look, bottom line is it is a mod that works.. Under 100 USD and reversible too.. to do.. No magic crossovers needed.. (Sorry) no imaginary famous one way electrical pulse oxygen free 4 inch thick speaker cables to give you a good bass output ( hehehe, I could not resist..again...) You can toe them a little to "cheat your room" and get 100% of what your speakers in a perfect sealed situation were designed to give you. Thats all I am offering here for the rest of you to see.. It works.

While I repect the Klipsch commercial/cinema designs, I find it difficult to believe any of them would sound 'better' than the Klipschorn in a normal domestic environment. I know people may have reasons for buying commercial - greater sensitivity, cost, ability to drive even larger rooms than the Klipschorn, but overall I would stick with the domestic option.

Regarding 'backs' on the Klipschorn.if you have good corners, I wouldn't even contemplate this tweak. Don't mess with them if you don't have too. Regarding the sweet spot, some may not be able to generate the sweet spot in their preferred listening position because of toe-in issues. This is where you would consider a false wall. Bring the Klipschorn further into the room so that the sweet spot is where it should be. Adjusting the toe-in of the top hats is possible for a short term fix, but overall I suggest you might compromise the Klipschorn's integration with the corner.

Speaking of the Klipschorns alleged difficulty in room placement - you guys have no idea how spoilt you are. PWK designed the Klipschorn so all you have to do is find/build a decent pair of corners, and away you go! Now speaking as a Martin Logan electrostatic loudspeaker owner, room placement with the ML's is much more demanding. I've had to change my whole room around, including my listening postion, to exploit the ML's sweet spot. I admit that sweet spot is magical, but when I had my Klipschorns, I didn't have to work so hard. So stop whinging!!!! [^o)]

Coytee, I have considered Jubs, and no I have never heard them ( i am almost afraid to, I think I would lose control of my spending). I like the sound of the Khorn. The looks are of no importance to me or the wife, spending more money on more speakers is where the wife would step in. The Khorn in the room as is sounds amazing, but I find myself getting out of the chair, walking forward about 8-9ft and standing there listening to music. I have had my eye out for a pair of 511b's, it would seem that they have a much wider dispersion than the mid horn and what seems to not be a real pricey experiment. I need to unbolt the top hats and temporarily toe them out to see if it will really make that much difference... speculation is just that, speculation

Jack

nope. just clarifying it. the klipschorn has no back panels. the walls complete the back panels and are used to complete the horn to the front of the speaker. after that there is no more "horn". now what you get is 1/8 space loading (corner placment) because the horn was designed with 1/8 loading in mind. that is why it must be placed in corner.

if you add the back walls, like roger did, then you are essentially completing what the walls were doing. what this buys you is a little relaxation in the guidline of having the lf section firmly in place touching the walls so that the gaskets could seal and then the bottom of the hf with completes the top of the lf also has to be in place for the horn to be sealed and completely. adding the back panels makes sure the horn does not "leak" and allows some leeway in toeing in the khorns.

hope this helps.

roy delgado

Thanks for that. That was close to my original understanding of the reasoning behind putting backs on Klipschorns. But I'm wondering about the degree of toe-in this modification allows. I would not imagine there would be that much latitude. But may be enough so that prospective Klipschorn owners could do a little 'tweaking' without the problems associated in the past with breaking the corner seal or compromising the low frequency extension.

Now Roy, I am aware that Klipsch are looking at incorporating the sealed back in future standard klipschorns. Can you tell me how far down the track this proposed modification is? Or isn't it something you can discuss at the moment?

Edwin.

sorry.....can't cuss or discuss.......

roy delgado