Building backs on older (1989) K horns like the new 60th Anniversary ones.

IndyKlipschFan

I just have my Khorns in a perfect room. Sounds like heaven, man.

Michael,

Have you had a chance to hear Indys speakers since the backs have been put on? What do you think? ........or has Indy had a chance to compare them to yours? .......I heard an improvement in his system even with the short listening times.

How was your surgery Pat?

Some of it might be he hears all Kinds of Klipsch speakers all of the time too. But even Michael was impressed. He thought they sounded wonderful, as I do, and both of us are impressed. He can chime in here too and add his thoughts...

• 2 months later...

Indi:

Just when I thought I was finished with my home theater, there you go introducing another mod that peaks my interest. I had made some false corners for my Khorns since I needed to rotate my mains to ensure the sweet spot was where I needed it. I have been satisfied with my efforts, but after reading your posts and re-visiting my project, I realize the Khorns are not perfectly sealed against the corners. Also, if your suggestion works as good or better than my corners, the smaller footprint will go a long way in helping my room layout.

How did you attach the braces to the cabinet? If you screwed them on, your cabinet will be full of holes if you ever reverse the process. I think your idea merits some DIY time to try and see if there is a differance over my false corners. I do know my Khorns start to roll off below 50Hz. Have you done any measurable testing?

You guys, please stop coming up with these ideas....we're never going to get done!

Rudy81

Your really going to get frazzled when you see what I'm working on.  Don't ask....can't say yet.....but it's revolutionary.

Hi Rudy,

It is a real simple project but a guy needs to be able to safely cut plywood and use a screwgun. It's only three pieces of plywood per speaker and a few dozen screws. The braces were screwed too, if I had a Kreg jig at the time it would have been a bit more time consuming but may have done a neater job but it is hidden anyway.

Only hearing them once in my life for only an hour or so before and after installation, I think they have a bit more lower end. Indy can chime in and give his 2 cents worth but I think he's pretty happy.

If you or anyone try this I suggest take you time and keep lots of records because lot's of people like yourself are curious are asking about the project....lol.

Thanks for asking Indy, everything went well and I have a LOT less back pain now than when I was working on your speakers.

Speedball:

Yes, I am very interested, particularly after reading some stuff on the 60th edition models. The woodwork should not be a problem. My concern lies in damage done to the Khorn itself. I just hate making permanent changes to the original. I have added the CT-125 and Al's ALK network. But those do not require any drilling into the cabinet.

I am wondering how you guys set the sides up so that you could take the side grilles off if you wanted to? I am guessing you can no longer access the wing nuts on the grilles since they are sealed in by the sides. Not a huge deal as long as you don't want to move the Khorns very far.

I have to take a longer look at my false corners, room, etc and see if it would be worth the effort. I am very curious just by the change in response if any. I have not heard the 60th edition horns, so have no way to compare.

If I decide to do this, I will certainly try to hold my enthusiasm and document as much as possible. Did I say I hate drilling into the cabinets?

We used 3/4" plywood.. MDF is pretty messy to cut.. 3/4" will not ring at all properly braced. You will be happy!

We took the original back plate off, and yes I saved it.. We used blocks to "re do" a back into the existing back, and they are all screwed in.

Yes it is 100% reversible so you can go back to the normal original way if you want to do so. Just a few screws into the blocks..and up underneath the HF section some added blocks too. I think we documented it pretty well.

Bottom line to me is this.... the results are 99.9% what I was looking for. So yes you asked.. I am very happy. The only thing left for that .01% is to paint the backs at some point (If I ever do, no one will ever see them LOL.) I have to admit I do not have a great room upstairs for K horns.. The bass slams into the book case in the middle that is too close to the K horns... (Oh to have had the foresight to sink it back into my garage today!!) No house no room is 100% perfect.. Maybe other than Arttos? Where is he BTW??

Bottom line is this... This simple modification will make them sound like they should sound if they were really sealed in tight. Those with better or upgraded networks and drivers will have a speaker that rivals the 60th Anniversary ones.. At a fraction of the cost new. (Which I have also heard, too) This is a amazing upgrade anyone can do in 1-2 days.. I have strong hunch you will see this mod on future K horn designs.. BTW, Paul did this for some customers a long time ago, so I feel were just re visiting a solution to a problem some have in here.

I am wondering how you guys set the sides up so that you could take the side grilles off if you wanted to? I am guessing you can no longer access the wing nuts on the grilles since they are sealed in by the sides. Not a huge deal as long as you don't want to move the Khorns very far.

We used a lot of screws.. But not glued in.... So you can unscew the bottoms..(yes we did bottoms, too, and reach up in there to get to the wing nuts.. or unscew the back side to get at the Woofer too, if necessary as well. ) Why ?? Other than damage you might need to do this is the real question..LOL.

Since owning K horns since 1989, I believe I have yet to unscew the sides, except one time when I moved into my house here 3 years ago. If I never move again, they may never be moved... ever..... again... hahahahahaha Unless, that need to paint the backs really gets to me?

Hi Rudy,

MDF is easier to "blowout" with a fastener if you get too close to the edge. As far as any damage I would say maybe a few tiny screw holes not penetrating through the sub surface........and I mean tiny...little, itty-bitty (hidden) which could easily be taken care of at a later date.

Indy, should you decide to paint I would gladly replace those screws with smaller head screws......would be a fun & easy weekend project.

What length screws did you use to attach the braces to the LF section? From your pictures, they look long enough to go clean through the Khorn plywood. Also, I did not see where you guys discussed the blocks used for the tail board.

I had been traveling on business the last five days and I spent quite a bit of time giving this idea some thought. I did begin to see some problems with this design vs. a real or false conrer. A minor point is the accessibility to the wingnuts for the grilles and the top hat. On a more important note, I wondered just how much effect there would be in effectively shortening the horn by just sealing the back up to the grilles. I also looked over some old Dope from Hope materials and noted that when PWK had his Khorns in one of his homes, he in fact used false corners, not sealed backs, so he must have preferred that method.

As soon as I got home I got to work and started looking at the LF bin closely. I realized that to properly seal the back, the tail board would have to be removed, as you guys did. The amount of work would be more than just cutting a few boards. Close attention to angles, braces etc, would make this a time consuming project. I also noted just how much of the folded horn I would be effectively removing by sealing the back and not putting the speaker in a corner.

I have some very solid and heavy false corners that have been doing a nice job to date. I did note that the seal from the tailboard and top were marginal at best in my setup, so decided to work on that before commiting to a more extensive project. I have reworked the seals using pipe insulation and they work great. I also decided to move the speakers with the false corners as close the room corners as possible, while still toeing-in the entire Khorn. This, based on the many comments about keeping the khorn within 12" of the room corners.

The combination of the better seal and the move closer to the walls have for the first time allowed me to listen and not know wether or not my sub was on or off. This is huge for me. I listen to some Billy Cobham to get some serious but crisp bass. I used to have to rely on the sub for some very subtle but very low sounds. I can now hear it without the sub.

All the other threads on the critical importance of the seal with the corner are correct and I should have paid more attention to that earlier. As far as the project to add backs, I am going to hold off until I hear what others say about the issue. I just can't imagine that it will make my Khorns sound any better than they are right now. I hope someone can take some objective measurements to decide this issue.

I hope to sometime get a chance to listen to the 60th anniversary Khorns so I can judge the differance.

falsecornerht.jpg

They sound fantastic as best I can judge against the LaS and Belles I have owned. I do know that when I first got them, I was not that impressed with the bass. At the time they were in a room with poor corners and odd size. I have not heard another pair in any one elses home, so it is hard to truly compare.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for posting this Roger. I have a gentleman who called in today with two pair of Klipschorns. He is considering updating the older pair with the AK-5 kit (P/N 1006969), which contains xovers on woofer door and new mid driver and tweeter. He was also inquiring about the possiblity of doing a modification like you recently completed.

So this is a little bump.

Michael