Where to sell speakers

wendy

Hi. I've agreed to help a friend sell his speakers (Belle Klipsch pre early80's) and I have no idea where to post them so that they will move and he will get a good price.  This may not be an approved use of this forum and I apologize to any offended users, but I could really use some ideas.  Thanks.  Wendy

Welcome to our Forum! We'd welcome your post for Belle Klipsch for Sale. Probably post it under the 2 channel subtopic for the most interest. We prefer to see some photos, condition/description of any damaged areas, where you are located (most members prefer to pickup themselves rather than trust shipping companies), and your price.

It's perfectly acceptable to show them and ask for their worth prior to putting them up for sale if you don't know their worth. We don't bid against each other much as a general rule, but be assured that you will get a fair price from someone near to you, who will take very good care of them.

Michael

If I had the spare cash I'd probably buy them from you right now sight unseen...I've always liked the Belle Klipsch, and if any appeared at a decent price, I'd be willing to make a road trip.

Unfortunantly, I do not have the money, but others here on these Klipsch Forums just might. Please post the requested additional information and pictures; you may just be surprised how quickly they might sell!

Thanks for the help.  I am going to pull together all the suggested info mentioned in your posts. What I have now is listed below in an email I sent out to Bill for his friend.

What I do know is that the speakers appear to have the mahogany finish.  The top surfaces will need some work (they are only in fair condition--water marks).  They are located in Hillsborough, NC.  I am supposed to be researching the price, but he believes they are a collector's item and will command a good amount.  I will work on getting the tag info.  Best, Wendy 

Wendy

The top surfaces will need some work (they are only in fair condition--water marks).

supposed to be researching the price, but he believes they are a collector's item and will command a good amount. I

Wendy

I can save you a lot of " research" ..

they are worth $1250 - $1500, depending on how bad the cosmetics are

and, I'm not lookin' for Belle's

Duke S is pretty much on target. The Belle was discontinued in 2005 after many years in production, and used prices spiked up a bit, with some Belles sold on Ebay for a bit more than $2000. That flurry seems to have subsided, and recent ones have sold for much less (or else did not sell at higher prices). If yours do have some cosmetic flaws, then low teens ($) is about right. You can list them on www.Audiogon.com for only $6/month, perpetually until sold (better than Ebay's one week listing); that site caters to audio enthusiasts, many of whom would appreciate Belles. Also, this time of year does not seem to be conducive to selling them quickly; spring seems better, for some reason (tax refunds, maybe?). Not many buyers will want them shipped due to cost and risk of damage, so your willingness to transport them at least part of the way to a seller will help sales and include a larger buyer region/population.

I suppose that you have to understand the position of the seller of what are VERY large speakers to them. Imagine that you didn't have the experience we do with these, that you stumbled across a pair through inheiritance or other means. It would be a bit confounding. Perhaps we could consolidate resources and provide a 'seller's guide' of sorts. I know a couple of Forum members keep tabs on Ebay pricing and history. And we certainly are aware of seasonal trends.

Michael

Hi Guys,

I'm enjoying the banter and will post what I have, but there is a reason this guy still has the speakers after all these years even though he doesn't use them....inertia!  There are no tags on the back.  He's looking for the serial number.  When I checked them out I didn't notice any tags, but wrote down a number from each that was on a metal bell like part located near the top of the speaker (real technical, right?).  The numbers were 123069 and 121215.  I've haven't relayed the price discussion -- he will be disappointed.  Here are a couple of picts.  Best, Wendy

I figure there are lots of owners of Belle's that have fallen out of favor with them over the years, just like Muscle cars, usually priorities change (I.E. Marriage, kids, job, etc.). They don't particularly have to get rid of them and there not "eating" anything, BUT, "Since I've heard that there not being made any more, They must be a collector's item, I'd part with them if I can make a mint."

Personally, I've wanted a pair of Belle's since I first saw the owner's manual for the Chorus's I purchased new. Talk about a bummer, just opened the box to my new "toys" only to find a picture of a better toy. I've still never actually seen them in person.

Wendy, please explain to your friend that while they are collectors items, they are not of the status of a 1969 Plymouth Super Bee with a 426 Hemi., nor will they ever be, there just won't ever be a collector's frenzie on them, as the people with the kind of money that drive the prices of collector cars usually buy NEW electronics, as they feel new is far superior to old.

If someone offers 1/2 price of what he paid for new, that's way better than any other "investment" on this type of purchase. If that's not acceptable, he just needs to leave them in the corner collecting dust.

Nuf Said.