Ipod...to keep or return?

Coytee

My wife got me the 80 gig Ipod for Christmas. She didn't know if she should do it or not because she realized if I had WANTED one, I'd already HAVE one. Using that logic, she felt (with some accuracy) that perhaps I wasn't too thrilled about them.

Ok, here's my take: As a rule, I don't have any need for an Ipod. When I'm out on the tractor cutting one/some of the fields, I can be doing that task for 6/8 hours at a stretch.

What I've done in the past is make a MP3 cd and take my cd player along with me. I have some Pro-Ear headphones (http://www.impactguns.com/store/proears_mag_d2.html) that are used as a protection device. They also happen to have an input for a radio or in my case, cd player.

So, wearing my hearing protection is NOT going to change with the advent of having or not having an Ipod. The ONLY change an IPOD will knowingly make for me is it will be a touch easier carrying around a smaller item, instead of a weather resistant CD player.

I'll still have some cords going from player to my headphones.

One "negative" of the Ipod... if I'm out on the back 40 cutting away and the battery dies, I'm out of business. If I have my cd player, I'll have an extra set of batteries WITH me and change them out on the fly (usually while still actively cutting).

So, part of me says "ahh, cool... an Ipod", another part of me says "yikes!!, for the money involved, it's not worth the price for the small gain in carrying it around in a shirt pocket"

For me, it really can be that simple. So, I'm putting it to you guys.

Is this something I should keep? Are there horror stories with Ipods (like dropping it and blowing it up)? If it's primary use is going to be cutting fields, is it a waste of money?

She was saying, I could use it in my car (I listen to NPR), or at work (I've got DOZENS of cd's already burned here at work)...

I don't want to send it back for her refund and THEN find out something cool about them that I simply don't know about, because of my ignroance.

Thoughts?

[*-)]

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have one but my wife does. First, thank your wife (don't let her see this thread!!)

The convience of the ipod should be very nice (80 gigs is a lot). CD's are difficult and a lot of work. That being said, if I were in the field 8 hours a day, definately go for sattelite radio. Even though the sound quality is low (it has a low bit rate - someone correct me if I am wrong), there is so much program material and you will no longer need to burn CD's. I tried it at work (IT had one hooked to an FM modulator). Awesome program amterial. Nothing like FM. Tons of channels and music that you have not heard in a long time. When you don't want music there is talk radio, lots of it. I'd say it is a must have for a job that allows you to listen all day.

First - keep the ipod because your wife loved you enough to get you a present! She thought you would like it, and it might hurt her feelings somewhat if you turn your nose up at it. Second - the ipod has myriad applications, many more you will discover as you start using the device. Third, you can upload all your work cd's to itunes, and eliminate the clutter while gaining a greater degree of access. Fourth, in the tractor, the device will function exactly like your cd player, only with the above mentioned greater access and storage - you can carry thousands of cds with you in that little shirt pocket. Also, your ipod plays videos, so if you have any desire to watch a program/dvd while cutting, you can.

While I won't debate the sound quality (though you can take steps to maximize the device), you can't debate the portability and access. In addition, the device functions as a hard drive, so you can transport files/pictures, etc. The reason ipod has become so popular so fast is because the device, and others like it, performs so many functions so well. My portable cd player is gathering dust in a drawer, and my TWO ipods get used everyday in everyway. For Christmas, my wife gave me an iSoundSpa, an alarm clock that docks/charges the ipod. I gave her an iGroove - the Klipsch speaker system for ipod for her classroom.

So keep the ipod, take a look at all that is offerred on the iTunes Store, and enjoy great portable music.

Just my two cents, your mileage may vary.

K

lol, she knows I'm putting it to you guys. Not to sound trivial about it, but she couldn't care MUCH less if I took it back, or kept it. Seems I'm one of those "hard to buy for" kind of people. I told her prior to Christmas, that I ALREADY had my X-mas "gift", in the Jubilees.

If I went with Sat. radio, woudln't I STILL have to carry something around? Not to mention, the fees for subscription? I'm not knocking the idea at all, just not sure that I know enough about it to jump aboard (not to mention unsure about how much I like the subscription fees)

Perhaps I need to come out from under my technology rock & find out more about it [:P]

May I put you down then, as sort of a "ney" vote on the Ipod? (just trying to get a feel for your thoughts on it)

Why would anyone want to pay for RADIO? Forget Sat. Radio......................Keep the I-pod, set it for best sound, record, or have someone with different music than you fill I pod, play it throught the Jubes, or out in the tractor, lotta' music on one of those. Thank your wife for the present, and be quiet, listen to the Music................................No, I don't own one, don't want one, that's why.....................

I would keep i had the seconed gen 20gb.ipod had it ror a wile and it got wet or somthing....it brokewe called them,[the warintey was up and thay just sent me a new one for free. I still have it. the apple people are great abbout the wornty.it has tons of featurs, you can burn all of your cd`s for fee, free podcasts,ok games for a mp3, movies,and more to be discovered.not to menton the hard drive.

If the battery is a problem then you can just get this battery thing to plug it into from Cears, or if you dont mind only havving 20 gb. then there is this new mp3 that has117hrs. of battery life, but none of the sweet features,on the other hand it only ways 2 awnces......
   your call dut i woule keep. 

I would keep i had the seconed gen 20gb.ipod had it ror a wile and it got wet or somthing....it brokewe called them,[the warintey was up and thay just sent me a new one for free. I still have it. the apple people are great abbout the wornty.it has tons of featurs, you can burn all of your cd`s for fee, free podcasts,ok games for a mp3, movies,and more to be discovered.not to menton the hard drive.

If the battery is a problem then you can just get this battery thing to plug it into from Cears, or if you dont mind only havving 20 gb. then there is this new mp3 that has117hrs. of battery life, but none of the sweet features,on the other hand it only ways 2 awnces......
   your call dut i woule keep. 

I don't need one in my life. I used a CDwalkman on my recent air travels and felt only slightly behind the times. Kind of like when I discuss LP's with the younger set.

It is a lot of money for convenience and those rechargeable batteries are still not replaceable, right? Just another electronics toy for the landfills.

Music is great, but I personally don't need it 24/7 on my person all the time. There is a time for quiet.

I might own one when they get down to $100 or so.

Michael

I had a 30gig ipod I just gave to my mother so I could upgrade to the 80gig. I started using it when I went jogging, then did some experimenting and hooked it to one of my 2ch. systems. I set it up so the sound quality is the same as cd's 1411kps. I use it when I cut the grass etc, etc,.

Jay

Put me down as a "keep"!

I have a 30-gig iPod, and I love it! I've done the lug CDs to work and that crap, but I found the iPod to be so much nicer. I listen to it at work quite a bit through my trusty ol' Tivoli Audio model two radio/speakers. Since I also have a bit of a commute, I went and invested in an iPod hookup for my car. I love having all that music on hand to listen to as I please. No more having to deal with the crappy radio, thier crappy choice in music, and those crappy commercials. I can listen to the music I want to listen to! People ask me what is my favorite radio station, and I tell them WIPOD - Steve's Metal Vault! The only gripe I have is that I wished I've gotten the 80-gig version, as I've completely filled up my 30-gig version with music, and find myself now having to remove stuff that I haven't listened to in a while to put new stuff on.

Also, my parents are NPR listeners as well. What does my mother end up doing - she got herself a 2-gig iPod Nano, so she can listen to Dr. Lauren episodes she downloaded off the internet. Even my father has taken an interest in it and, and I've caught him sneaking off with it to listen to something.

People will say it is just "another useless gadget", but I disagree. I honostly think it is a definitly a nice little thing to have and a great and convenient way to listen to music. But than again, I definitly love my tech-toys, and not just another luddite that seems to be against anything that has to do with technology.

Return the iPod--you don't need another gadget. Use the refund money to buy yourself some acoustically transparent grille cloth (and framework) for your Jubilee tops.

Close!! The saga is over and here's what's happening: We're doing a bathroom in the basement and so far, it's on pace to be about a 10K room. I told her I'd rather give her the "points" for getting me such a cool thing, however, I'd rather put the $$ towards the bathroom cost.

I think she liked that outcome on both sides!

[:D]