Looking For New Amp

shinerman

I'm in the market for a new amp. Just recently purchased a set of Belles ( also have Forte's, Kg4's and Kg2's) and would like some suggestions on a good amp to make these babies sing. Right now I'm running them off of a Yam RX V992. The sound is good, but tends to be a little bright. I have been reading up on tube amps and believe this is the way I want to go but, I'm open to any suggestions. Would appreciate any and all suggestions.

I'm in the market for a new amp. Just recently purchased a set of Belles ( also have Forte's, Kg4's and Kg2's) and would like some suggestions on a good amp to make these babies sing. Right now I'm running them off of a Yam RX V992. The sound is good, but tends to be a little bright. I have been reading up on tube amps and believe this is the way I want to go but, I'm open to any suggestions. Would appreciate any and all suggestions.

Shinerman,

Welcome to the forum! The Canyonman is right, let us know the details, then we can FLOOD you with options. Where in Texas are you located?

William

VRDs + Peach or BlueBerry = BLISS

Mac tubes aren't bad either, but they will cost more than $3500 for the good stuff.....

But for Belles? The VRD power amplifiers - KT88 based amplifiers built by Craig Ostby (forum member NosValves) and a JuicyMusic preamp (Peach or BlueBerry built by forum member MDeneen) will come in around 4K, and will shred most other comers at double the cost (and while that's an overused method of pitching a piece of gear, it's true). This gear on the big Heritage is a perfect match - it's the no-brainer kick butt solution that you can live with for years.

There are other options, particularly on the amplifiers (like SET, 300B, and other vintage amplifiers like my favorite McIntosh MC-30), but the VRD/JM combo brings separates performance tailor made for our speakers at the price of some high end integrateds. Many, many happy forum ears with this combo. I sold a buddy this setup sight unseen for his Cornwalls, and he's just blown away.

I am not sure how these recommendations are being made.

So far what do we know.

1. The guy is currently using some SS (I think). Although not displeased with the sound, he would like to explore.

2. He has read about tubes (not the same as listening to tube stuff) so that is an option, but it is not exclusive.

3. No idea whether used equipment vs new equipment is a criterion

4. Has a budget of up to $3500 (a big budget for used, not so big for new)

5. No idea about levels he likes to listen to

6. No idea about type of music he likes

With all these unknowns, how can people recommend paying a huge sum of money (I think $3500 is a big deal) with no real info?

I am baffled,

-Tom

Not much to be baffled about. The responses are generally the same. Do a search for previous questions on this same topic. We should have a FAQ at the top.

After much deliberation and consideration, you need to pick one of these:

NosValves VRD

Dynaco Mark III

Scott 299

McIntosh

Marantz

None of the above work? Buy something cheap and Chinese.

I think that would cover 98% of the responses. Generally speaking. [;)]

Yes, the Yamaha amp I'm running is ss and a 5.1 system. When listening to music I switch the effects off and listen to two channel. When purchased about 6/7 years ago I only had the KG4's and 2's and thought it sounded great. Now with the additioin of the Fortes and the Belles, the Yamaha tends to make both sound a little bright at times. Would prefer new, but open to slightly used equipment. Could spend more, but would prefer to stay within my stated budget or as close as possible. I seldom listen at low levels, tend to listen at medium levels and will crank it at times. I listen to all types of music; Blues, Bluegrass, Acoustic, Rock - classic/heavy/atl., Country - alt./new/old, Jazz and anything else that peaks my interest (currently have about 3500 titles in my library).

Thanks to all who have responded!!

I also have a Yamaha 995 running in one of my systems. After trying it with an assortment of Klipsch speakers, I decided dedicated systems for different tasks (and speakers) was required if one wanted to be really satisified. Everyone should have a home theatre system and a second dedicated two channel system IMO.

After much deliberation and consideration, you need to pick one of these:

NosValves VRD

Dynaco Mark III

Scott 299

McIntosh

Marantz

None of the above work? Buy something cheap and Chinese.

I think that would cover 98% of the responses. Generally speaking. [;)]

And that is a sad state of affairs. Sometimes the prejudices of the members (OK, IMO most times) negatively affect the recommendations on this BB. I understand that there are a couple of manufacturers here that have successfully pumped their products here. But really. Closing your eyes is a bad survival trait.

This hobby is the journey, not the end. Golf claps to those who would have him delineate what he wants, what he expects, etc. before pushing their agendas on him.

If he wants to explore tubes, as he said, he should listen to some, and if still interested, try out an inexpensive version with the caveat that it might not be his final resting place.

VRDs + Peach or BlueBerry = BLISS

Mac tubes aren't bad either, but they will cost more than $3500 for the good stuff.....

But for Belles? The VRD power amplifiers - KT88 based amplifiers

built by Craig Ostby (forum member NosValves) and a JuicyMusic preamp

(Peach or BlueBerry built by forum member MDeneen) will come in around

4K, and will shred most other comers at double the cost (and while

that's an overused method of pitching a piece of gear, it's true). This

gear on the big Heritage is a perfect match - it's the no-brainer

kick butt solution that you can live with for years.

There are other options, particularly on the amplifiers (like SET,

300B, and other vintage amplifiers like my favorite McIntosh MC-30),

but the VRD/JM combo brings separates performance tailor made for our

speakers at the price of some high end integrateds. Many, many happy

forum ears with this combo. I sold a buddy this setup sight unseen for

his Cornwalls, and he's just blown away.

THis is a great amp combination but another thread said more infor needed to sso I will add a few questions.

=> VInyl or CD for most of the software in your collection? Is a phono section a big deal to you?

=> What CD source do you use?

Belles are very revealing if your CD source is prone to jitter fatigue, it will be more fatiguing with the Belles.

=> Room size?

We should make up a template for these sort of questons so we gett all the background data up front. [8-|]