matching serial #'s

M.Hagen

How and why is it important to have speakers with consecutive serial #'s? Does it have any effect on sound quality? Am looking to add another set of speakers soon ( Chorus 2's or Forte 2's w/ black finish )and would like all the important info to ask about when I am shopping . Thanks

M.Hagen,

Consecutive Serial No's would indicate that the speakers are a matched pair as originally produced by the manufacturer. One should also ask the seller if there has been any changes or modifications to the internal components, as well as cabinets. Get the seller to provide pictures too, if possible. Ask if original boxes or manuals are still available. Then verify mode of shipment and carrier to be used. I'm not aware that there may be significant sonic differences for unmatched pairs. Perhaps others will add coments as well.

Best to ya,

Wes

------------------

"KLIPSCH IS MUSIC"f>

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 12-03-2001 at 08:24 PM

Shapeshifter is of course correct, consecutive serial #'s should indicate matched pairs.

That being said, I purchased a new pair of special order Heresy's in 1977...they don't have consecutive serial #'s, they are 39R304 & 39R310. I don't have any idea why the serial #'s aren't consecutive.

------------------

Ed W

Kachang..Rumble..krumpf (sound of bomb shelter door being secured) :D

I suspect that not everyone will agree and have taken the precautions noted above:

The only thing that consecutive serial numbers ordinarily guarantees is that a given pair of speakers were manufactured during the same production cycle.

Even speakers with consecutive numbers are subject to the minor manufacturing irregularities and inconsistencies which occur in the normal course of business as are speakers of the same type which are are built days or even weeks apart.

All else being equal - Yes I would,if presented with a choice between two sets of speakers in which all units were in pristine condition, choose the consecutively numbered units - If only because there are people out there who obsess about such trivia and therefore my resale prospects might be enhanced. That said,I would never choose a consecutively numbered pair that was in inferior condition over a better pair whose serial numbers were not consecutively numbered.

Weasel Word Section

The exception to the above might occur should the serial numbers be far enough apart as to result in one speaker being in some important respect different, (because of design or driver changes,for example) to its mate. Contrary to what I noted in the earlier part of this post consecutive Serial Numbers would pretty much rule that out. All in all however I do not see this as a terribly likely or frequent problem.

------------------

It is meet to recall that the Great Green Heron rarely flies upside down in the moonlight - (Foo Ling ca. 1304 BCE)

My first (front's) pair of RF-3's have also consecutive serial #'s. The other pair(Rear's) does not. Since I tweaked the RF-3's (changed internal wires: See odds and mods) I was able to see the internal side of the RF-3's. All 4 RF's are build the same, except for some minor things. The first pair has different internal wire lengths. The damping material was identical and symmilar placed. The Rear RF-3's had identical wire lenght's,but the foam was different placed. So consecutive serial #'s doesn't mean nothing, except that they were manufactured during the same production cycle as lynnm said. Ok, the chance in difference could be smaller.

------------------

-------------------------

Receiver: Onkyo 676

DVD: Pioneer DV-525

Screen: Thomson 46" RetroProjection

Front: RF-3 tFTP

Rear: RF-3 tFTP

Center: RC-3 tFTP

I purchased a pair of 1978 Khorns with consecutive serial #s this summer. I don't think the veneer is a very good match, even though it is a premium finish (Rosewood)...but the price was right!

khornpair2.jpg

Please excuse the unfinished basement look.

------------------

Ed W

This message has been edited by edster00 on 12-04-2001 at 09:25 PM

Nice speakers but you're right they don't match very well.

------------------

My system thus far:

1980 Cornwalls (mains)

1990 Heresy II's (rears)

2001 KLF-C7 (center)

2001 KSW15 (Subwoofer)

SONY STD-D611 (reciever)

Kenwood DV402 (DVD)

Sony KV 27V55 (9 year old 27" TV still kickin')

:eyes

Screw the match issues - Those Things Are Gorgeous! Hell I'd buy them just to add some class to my living room. - Congratulations on your purchase.

------------------

It is meet to recall that the Great Green Heron rarely flies upside down in the moonlight - (Foo Ling ca. 1304 BCE)

Lordy... are you putting up some drywall and flooring? Or at least carpet? Trying to imagine the sound down there! And I was complaining about the pool table! Well, at least the concrete below whatever floor you decide on will be a good thing for the bass.

I just dont get your wife...The Klipschorn can look almost like modern art! I think it has a really unique aesthetic; it can be played up in a minimalist setting. It's just that most Klipsch owners seem to have rather scary decorating taste. Not quite sure what this says about the label....heh. It does command a rather hefty presence but no worse than the Cornwalls!

kh

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 12-12-2001 at 10:54 AM

I am actually finishing off the basement pretty soon. I had A/C & heat put in a couple of weeks ago. The walls, ceilings etc. are next. The center of the room is currently carpeted (under the pool table Smile.gif), I will be putting down padding under the wall to wall stuff.

------------------

Ed W

Mobile,

Just so you know, the Khorn is 16" taller, 6" wider and 13" deeper than the Cornwall. As big as the Cornwalls are (and they are huge), they are dwarfed by the Khorn. I agree with you however on why the wife wouldn't like them. They are beautiful and when properly placed in the corners, blend right in with the decor as pieces of furniture (imho)...

Mike

------------------

My Music Systems

FWIW my wife didn't want anything bigger than "THOSE" cubes in the family room. I gradually upgraded to bigger speakers in there and we currently have a Reference set-up for HT. She who must be obeyed says the Khorns will NEVER come upstairs.

SO I am thinking I will just move everything downstairs! I could get rid of the HT in the family room altogether and build a combo HT/2 channel rig in the basement. Khorn mains, Belle center front and back, Heresy surrounds (or maybe Cornwall surrounds). I have everything but the Corns (I had to sell them this summer to make more room in the basement)! I do have a pair if Forte'IIs I could use for surrounds, but I think the Heresy's would work better...what do y'all think??

------------------

Ed W

Wow, Ed! It sure makes my system seem miniscule compared to what you have. I think the Forte II's would make a great surround. I'm running my Chorus I's as mains and my Chorus II's as surrounds, and I love the combination. Put the Forte II's in the rear and then play the last cut on the Eagles' HFO DVD (Seven Bridges Road) in DTS. Those Forte II's should rock the house! Of course, you can't go wrong with the Heresy's either. Smile.gif

Mike

------------------

My Music Systems

NO NO, ED! You had it right the first time! Leave the Khorns downstairs with the Moondogs and some top notch sources. Move the pool table to a new room and make your basement a top notch listening room dedicated to music!

Leave the video patrol upstairs with all its trappings, including screen and surround with multiple speakers etc.

There is nothing worse to be than mixing video with music. Yes, this is purely opinion and I know many on here like to mix the two but I have never liked that aspect. The video/movie experience is a whole different world and should have its own center...as far from the 2 channel as possible.

It almost makes BOTH sound better as you can focus on the different variables and needs of either. I cant even bear to plug my TV into my preamp....

kh

ps- Hey, Mike.... I know the Khorns are MUCH bigger; indeed, they are the first Klipsch speaker I ever heard. But, in a way, they actually disappear more since they go flush into the corners. And if they look nice enough, can actually add substance to your room.

Nice K-horns there.

In answer to the question...we are talking about "consecutive #s", not "matched #s" I have yet to see a Matched # set, but only consecutive. These are two very different animals. If they were indeed matched, then I could see them having some sort of marriage or the like. However, consecutive means very little. For example, what if the first 3 klipsches had serial numbers 001, 002, and 0003 and were built in that order respectfully. Unless, they were taped together, and never got seperated at the local hi-fi store (yea, right) Who's to say that #002 matches with 0003 or 001? If sold as pairs there is no way to know if 001 goes with 002, or if 003 goes with 002. Therefore, the grain of veneer could be "non-matching". What would really get my attention is if a true pair were serialed together like 0001L and 0001R. L=left and r=right.

T-man

------------------

KG 5.5 (mains)

KG 2.2v (center)

KLF-C7 (center in storage)

KG 1 (rears)

KSW-12 (sub)

Denon AVR 681/1601

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

Kenwood LVD700 LD

Sony CD changer

Sony 27" Trinitron